Snoopy11

K341 15 amp stator transition

Snoopy11

Hello my good people.

A few of you know that I have a k341... that has the 3 amp charging system. I really... REALLY want LED lights on the tractor... and have been talking with a few electrical gurus about putting LED lights on the AC output of the stator.

WELL... I have decided not to chance the LED lights on the OEM stator AC output... and have ordered a 15 amp stator and regulator from IST. :bow-yellow:

I don't necessarily trust kits on Fleabay... so I just decided to pay the piper and buy a quality stator and regulator. :occasion-snowman:

Obviously, this mochine is going to be rewired for the new system... but one question that I have is... does it matter where the regulator is mounted... engine... frame... etc? :confusion-confused:

I will use quality wires and connectors on this transition as well, as I am sure that you guys can imagine. Full picture documentation will accompany this thread, of course. :D

Don

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Snoopy11 said:

does it matter where the regulator is mounted

No... as long as the wires reach!  and it has a good ground.

• Excellent 4
  • Sad 1

peter lena

@Snoopy11  have led,s on mine , also have enhanced grounding , thats the key , don't take for granted  that your ground is there , especially if its the original set up , corrosion usually , makes that funky . just for a verification  once mounted . alligator clip  test  wire ,  battery ground  cable bolt mount , to rectifier , how does that work?  pete 

• Excellent 1

pfrederi

Makes no difference for the old large style regulators but the new small ones need to be mounted in the airshroud to get cooling.

• Like 6

Achto

Not a bad idea to up grade your charging, but it may not be necessary if you are going with LED lights. For example - If an 1156 incandescent bulb pull 2amps, an LED 1156 will pull 0.2amps.  There are of course some fluctuations, but on average an LED draws about 1/10th the amperage that an incandescent does to produce the same amount of light.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
2 minutes ago, Achto said:

Not a bad idea to up grade your charging, but it may not be necessary if you are going with LED lights. For example - If an 1156 incandescent bulb pull 2amps, an LED 1156 will pull 0.2amps.  There are of course some fluctuations, but on average an LED draws about 1/10th the amperage that an incandescent does to produce the same amount of light.

Do you think it will flicker? :confusion-confused:

The LED lights that I ordered can run on up to 30 volts... :bow-yellow:

Don

Achto
1 minute ago, Snoopy11 said:

Do you think it will flicker? :confusion-confused:

I have had some that would flicker. I cured my issue by running a separate ground to the light fixture instead of relying on the body of the tractor to carry the ground. 

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
Just now, Achto said:

I cured my issue by running a separate ground to the light fixture instead of relying on the body of the tractor to carry the ground.

I always end up doing that anyway... running a ground to each light... :P

I would love for my 416-8 to charge the battery faster than it currently does. I don't "mind" the 3 amp system... but it seems like I have to run the tractor at full throttle for an hour just to get the battery charged back up from starting... :rolleyes:

I think I will install the lights... see how they run off the AC power... and save the stator and regulator for hard times... or maybe I won't like how they run off AC... and will change it sooner. :dunno:

Anyway...  at least I will have the parts in stock... :D

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

By the way, @Achto... you or anyone else have any ideas on where I could ****** some tail lights for the 416-8?  :confusion-confused:

I was looking online... just don't know what would be the best thing. LED lights would obviously be optimal... :)

EDIT... why does the forum censor the word "s.n.a.t.c.h"...?

Don

Edited by Snoopy11

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Snoopy11 said:

Those even look similar to the reflectors that I put on it!!! WOOOHOOO!  B)

I bought them! :banana-wrench:

Don

Those look like the ones I got for the 125, except mine have black bases... 

I think I sent ya pics of that at one time?  Here's one again...  the toggle switch ahead of the seat switch is for the rear flood. (also LED)

image.png.f83ae2ed2016591089dfa8fdf5276db1.png

• Excellent 4

Snoopy11
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I think I sent ya pics of that at one time?

Oh yeah! I remember those! I really liked those A LOT!!! :banana-dance:

Don

953 nut
7 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

. does it matter where the regulator is mounted

Like Paul @pfrederi said, depends on what regulator you bought.

ineedanother
4 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

By the way, @Achto... you or anyone else have any ideas on where I could ****** some tail lights for the 416-8?  :confusion-confused:

I was looking online... just don't know what would be the best thing. LED lights would obviously be optimal... :)

EDIT... why does the forum censor the word "s.n.a.t.c.h"...?

Don

I see you've already ordered some but some of the bigger truck stops can be a good source for LED markers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Snoopy11

Tractor got pulled back into the garage last night. I seriously doubt that I am going to get the golf cart fixed before my next machine shows up next weekend... so to make room... I will probably keep the 416-8 in the garage for a while. :ph34r:

IN THE DARK DARK... :music-rockout:

100_2142.JPG.1687409417d164753667f932882c6d8c.JPG

LET. THERE. BE. LIGHTS!!! And some... BOOM SHACKA LACKA, SHACKA LACKA, SHACKA LACKA... :banana-dance:

100_2141.JPG.586a2fe801e8bed68809b1051362fb3e.JPG

Old...

100_2143.JPG.3f59fb42b1d66eb757617b1eb45e2202.JPGe

New...

100_2145.JPG.fee1fe9df76b368856c0154323de0b94.JPG

Rear:

100_2146.JPG.90e97d29933760abef8cc2a0d560dbcb.JPG

Front:

100_2147.JPG.5e7fe7fe1469c0b32d6fcd71727d3176.JPG

Side (see if you can find where I put the regulator in this picture):

100_2148.JPG.18764bdd366e230545c6ee03969a02e9.JPG

I'm satisfied. My main gripe with IST... is that NO hardware is included... so... the little screws that hold on the stock stator do not work. Luckily I am a screw hoarder... :P

@kpinnc... I don't know if you saw this or not... you mentioned for me to do this upgrade a while ago. :greetings-waveyellow:

Don

• Excellent 1

ineedanother

Looks great Don. Regulator on the frame :thumbs: I like it.

• Thanks 1

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, ineedanother said:

Regulator on the frame

You win the prize! :banana-dance:

The old stator! :laughing-rofl:

100_2150.JPG.b801ed29d815f9c35b29348f0a8e1eb1.JPG

I can ship to your home... or whatever address you desire (including your local landfill)... :hide:

Don

• Haha 1

kpinnc
3 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

@kpinnc... I don't know if you saw this or not... you mentioned for me to do this upgrade a while ago.

Looks great!! 

Always good to have more power! :thumbs:

• Thanks 1

Jeff-C175

Those headlights need some eyelashes.:P

• Haha 2

squonk

This always cracked me up for years. Why would lighting manufacturers like Dietz, Grote ect. Make DOT spec'd products with inter-changeable lenses and bases but make for example rear reflectors that have a different mounting base and bolt spacing as their rear tail lights. Perfect example in this picture. They could have saved money by making 1 base and 1 reflective lens. Just add a socket and a wire. But no they made the reflector a hair bigger so if we want to add tail lights to a tractor we have to drill another hole and have part of a hole showing! :confusion-confused:  :angry-tappingfoot:

image.png.f83ae2ed2016591089dfa8fdf5276db1.png

• Like 1

pacer

Theres usually a bunch of the 15A stators on the bay - for cheap ($15-20) I've changed out 3-4 of the 5A's just to get the better charging ability -- dont have much need for bright lights down here in La:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Snoopy11
18 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Those headlights need some eyelashes.:P

You're tempting me... :ph34r:

Don

• Haha 1

Jeff-C175
27 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

tempting

I actually tried to photo shop them in, but my work 5ucked so bad I trashed it.

• Haha 1