thejangler

657 vs 857 vs 1057? differences, engine suggestions?

thejangler

Few questions, I have a 1967 wheel horse 657 and would like a little more power for plowing and such

Is the only difference between 657 and 857 and 1057 engine size? frame the same? could i find a bigger engine to put in it without fitment issues? suggestions?

IMG_20160710_190029331.jpg

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

thejangler  :WRS:  as for the 657 frame I believe you can put in a 8hp kholer in it Good power there. Not to sure about a 10 or a 12.  I think if you go larger you run into different belts and pulleys. Not much difference between the 6 and 8. The 8`s you can do a lot with them. I have an 8 hp do plowing with it Have a 10c.u. dump cart I fill it with dirt- rocks -wood -tow up hill with it. the thing I like it is a small frame get in to tight spaces with it. Enjoy it what ever you decide.

Edited by T1257 RETIRED WRENCHER.
  • Like 2

953 nut

:WRS:     I am not as well versed as some other members when it comes the the subtle differences between long and short frame :wh: in 1967, but I think the 657 and 857 were both short frames and the 1057 and 1257 were long frames. I have attached the manuals for you to look at and hope you can find what you need there.  

:text-coolphotos:            Also, you may want to read this over and adjust your plow angle.

• Like 2

stevebo

I have an 857 and have a 10hp Kohler out of a 1054 sitting on the shelf. I too am wondering if that motor will fit under the hood without modifications. Looking forward to hearing from those of you who have done this swap. 

• Like 1

Racinbob

:WRS:

Good info from both Richard and Gary. I don't think a 10+ Kohler will fit under the hood of the short frame 657 or 857. Maybe a Tecky will but I don't know. I'm with Steve and would like to hear if anybody has tried to fit the bigger block in a short wheelbase. I'm thinking a no-go without cobbling the hood. :think:

• Like 2

Achto

This post shows an 875 that was fitted with a 12hp Kohler.

• Like 4

ACman

Welcome to. :rs:  :woohoo:

:text-yeahthat: ...my 1075 rat barn find is my favorite tractor of the bunch ! 

Big block shortframe square hoods rule :music-rockout:...I think @squonk would agree .

IMG_0792.JPG

Edited by ACman
  • Like 3

slammer302

Glad to see another member from MO. I like the 8hp kohler big enough to get the job done but still small enough to make it interesting. 

• Like 2

Racinbob

Interesting. I thought those were long frames. I see the 875 and 1075 use different belt guards to compensate for the difference in shaft height. Unlike the 70's b/c series where the 8hp sat on a riser plate making the shaft the same height as the bigger blocks. Interesting stuff. OK, who's got a 16hp mounted on a short frame? :)

• Like 2

squonk
7 hours ago, ACman said:

Welcome to. :rs:  :woohoo:

:text-yeahthat: ...my 1075 rat barn find is my favorite tractor of the bunch ! 

Big block shortframe square hoods rule :music-rockout:...I think @squonk would agree .

IMG_0792.JPG

:)   7AvjsXz.gif

• Like 1

Texas Todd

What is the lever protruding from the belt guard? Only thing I can think of is the hydro release so you can push it. Couldn't find it in the schematic though. Thanks.

Edited by Texas Todd

Sarge

Up to '66 , most hydro models had that lower lever to engage the hydro belt drive and parking brake setup . It all changed in '67 to the lever mounted on the right side at the top of the trans tunnel .

Sarge

• Like 2

refracman

I believe to install a 10 hp you'll need a engine with the short oil pan and the correct belt guard which are specific to the 10 hp short frame tractors

• Like 2

damon91

I have both a 1067 and a commando 8 (which is 1 year newer than the 857 but the same machine) The frame is deffinatly longer on the 1067 and the hood is longer and taller. A kohler 10hp is massive compared to an 8hp. I think It would take an extensive amount of modification to fit a 10hp in a 857.

DSC03202.JPG

DSC03197.JPG

Edited by damon91
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

857 horse

857......of course,,,,,,,,,,,,more power.????    try  on an 867........or 8 speed your 857........just a thought.....

thejangler
On 12/24/2016 at 11:01 AM, damon91 said:

I have both a 1067 and a commando 8 (which is 1 year newer than the 857 but the same machine) The frame is deffinatly longer on the 1067 and the hood is longer and taller. A kohler 10hp is massive compared to an 8hp. I think It would take an extensive amount of modification to fit a 10hp in a 857.

DSC03202.JPG

DSC03197.JPG

AWESOME, that is really helpful to have the comparison here.  seems like a really big difference in the 8hp and 10hp like you said, thanks again,  merry xmas yall!!