Little Red Horse

Wheel Horse Electro 12 Automatic

Little Red Horse

Hey all. I have a Electro 12 with a factory belly blade. It runs* and drives. I had used it to grade my driveway the last 6 yrs. Having moved I'm looking at my options on storing it or selling it. Frankly I have no idea what it is worth. I watched "ISaveTractors" video on 5 things to do with a new to you wheel horse/12hp kohler. (When i got it 6yrs ago) And went thru and did the adjustments and replaced the parts mentioned. It has been a good strong tractor for me until around July of this year. (2023)

*Around July it started dying after running 20-30min. I replaced the carb (Chinese Amazon purchase) with one from isavetractors web site. That seemed to help it idle smoother(the old carbs jets wouldnt adjust), but it still dies at around 20-30min.

So I've got 2 questions. 

1. What is it worth? (As-Is) and

2. What do I need to do to fix it? 

Thanks yall!

20231001_181018.jpg

Edited by Little Red Horse
Adding tags
  • Like 4

ineedanother

I would get it running right before selling and the price is largely dictated by that as well as your market. I believe that would be a '73. The mid-mount grader has value in itself. I suspect your running issue is either a coil or gas cap (believe it or not). The cap has to vent properly or you end up with a vacuum situation. Loosen the cap when it stalls to see if you hear air drawing in around it, or loosen it while it's running and see if the problem goes away. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

Little Red Horse

Thanks for the advice ineedanother! I will definitely test the gas cap. That's easy enough to check. The coil, condenser, points and plug are new. But again, easy enough to test the coil and see. Parts go bad. 

The model# is I-7255. I believe that it's actually a 1970, not sure that matters as the diagnosis would probably apply either way.

Thanks again for the advice!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, ineedanother said:

I would get it running right before selling and the price is largely dictated by that as well as your market. I believe that would be a '73. The mid-mount grader has value in itself. I suspect your running issue is either a coil or gas cap (believe it or not). The cap has to vent properly or you end up with a vacuum situation. Loosen the cap when it stalls to see if you hear air drawing in around it, or loosen it while it's running and see if the problem goes away. 

All good advice above but the year is earlier.  

Those were made with that hood 1970-72.  

73 were "no names".  

I took would suspect an electric issue first. 

What ignition system does it have?

In addition to checking the gas cap while faulting I'd have a good quality inline spark tester right handy. 

The Mid Mount Grader Blade is a great tool and not at all common. 

To be honest if you have any remote justification for usage I'd fix it with a REBUILT KOHLER carb. (Note the caps)

And... Run it. Use the grader. Get other implements.  

Minimum value as it sits ?

Grader. $300+

Seat. $150-ish

Generator??

Tractor when poorly running but drivable?

Depends on your local market. ....ask around $400((??))

Personally I'd keep it and enjoy the machine for it's great capabilities.   

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

Little Red Horse

Thanks for the info and advice ebinmaine!

I'll try to add a photo, but it has points and the can style coil. 

I'll pick up a spark tester before I look into things. 

I took note of the REBUILT KOHLER in caps. 😁 duely noted sir, Thanks.

The generator is something my grandfather had attached to his wheel horse for power outages.  I didn't include it because I have not run it to see if it still works.

Thanks for the advice!

20231001_181107.jpg

20231001_181042.jpg

20231001_181227.jpg

Edited by Little Red Horse
Forgot something
  • Excellent 3

953 nut

:WRS:

Looks like a very well kept :wh:. In my opinion if you sell it you will regret it, Nice vintage garden tractors like yours are hard to find.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

WheelHorseNut

How cool is that generator?

I agree with everyone here -- you'd probably regret it if you sold it.  It's a really cool tractor.

While reading your issue with it, my first thought was gas cap and vapor lock.  Notice the caps have holes in them  Could it be that it got plugged up with some junk?  Then I thought electrical... maybe the coil or some other ignition component gets too hot and quits after running for a certain amount of time...  Seems like everyone already came to the same conclusion -- I'm curious to hear what you find though.

Awesome horse though.  I'm sure it'll be something simple in the end.  Funny -- I just watched that iSaveTractors video last night haha

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Little Red Horse

Thanks for the reply and advice. I am on the road alot, and it is currently strapped and tarped on a trailer at a friend's house. Not sure if I'm going to have a use for it in the future. My lifestyle doesn't allow me to collect things, very well. 😄 So if I don't have a current use for something,  it usually goes on to someone else. I can't stand to see things sit and decompose from non use. 😬 Most likely this one's gonna have a new owner soon. It's been a great little tractor for me. I can seriously say they don't make them like these little guys anymore! 

WheelHorseNut
3 hours ago, Little Red Horse said:

Thanks for the reply and advice. I am on the road alot, and it is currently strapped and tarped on a trailer at a friend's house. Not sure if I'm going to have a use for it in the future. My lifestyle doesn't allow me to collect things, very well. 😄 So if I don't have a current use for something,  it usually goes on to someone else. I can't stand to see things sit and decompose from non use. 😬 Most likely this one's gonna have a new owner soon. It's been a great little tractor for me. I can seriously say they don't make them like these little guys anymore! 

<-------- Looks to see where Little Red Horse is located.... :D

Unfortunately, that's too far for me to travel.  haha  Well, good luck with her!  Let us know how it goes!

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Little Red Horse said:

Most likely this one's gonna have a new owner soon

It would be awesome if you'd advertise that here on Redsquare first. 

See if one of our own characters can adopt it.  

• Excellent 2

Tonytoro416

Is Tennessee correct?  I’d be interested but pretty far also for me 

• Like 1

Little Red Horse

I am in South Eastern Tennessee. If I pull the trigger on selling, I will definitely list it on Redsquare first. I don't want to come off wishy washy. I'm 80% certain selling is what I'll do.  That last 20% is still hanging on some.😄

Thank you all for your helpful advice and responses! I will keep you in the loop on how things are progressing! 👍

• Thanks 1

Little Red Horse

Well, I just listed this Ole girl. I appreciate all your advice and info! I just am not getting enough time off to look at her. I don't have anywhere where I am currently at to store her out of the weather, so she's under a tarp on a trailer at a friend's house. Thanks again for all the recommendations! 👍

• Like 1