sluggo

Wheel Weights for Snow Plowing

sluggo

I need some guidance.

I have a 310-8, and I am setting it up to plow snow this winter for the first time. I will buy chains and put them on. I am also shopping for wheel weights. Do I need to get Wheel Horse Wheel Weights or will another brand work? I have seen some used weights on CL and found  Craftsman weights at Sears. Will any weights with a 12 inch diameter work?

What do I need to do? 

Thanks

• Like 1

Geno

Yes they will, the :wh:  just look much cooler.   :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 1

Fun Engineer

Any others will work as Geno said. You'll want some that are in the 50# each category not 20# each. Enjoy playing in the snow with your 310-8.

rollingflat

Just a qusetion, but does anyone use  fluid in tires like the "big tractors" use ? Im thinking of filling my snow plow tractor tires

w it this year...for the first time.  I have a good friend  that collects Allis garden tractors that fills his w RV antifreeze and runs them like that all the time

and dosent need the use of bolt on weights. Anyone done that here?  He has a very unique way to fill them... wheel off  setting flat on level ground, air valve out

hose running over valve stem ot jug of RV antifreeze untill tire is full !!!The plus is no external wheight, little or no adverse effect on tranny or rearend. Pretty cool !

What do you think?   :eusa-think:  :eusa-think:  :eusa-think:

He uses RV antifreeze because it is biodegradable and none toxic.

ri702bill

Sluggo:

A couple of comments:

Tire chains come in different styles, single & double spaced cross links. I prefer the single spaced style - they have twice as many cross links and give a much better ride on pavement. They also tend to reduce wheel spin.

After years of plowing without them, I added windshield washer fluid (tires have to have tubes) and 25 lb. cast barbell weights to the front of my 854 - what a difference! When the plow is angled, it tends to steer the tractor.

I use the cement filled rear weights in the rear (along with 125 lbs. of lead ingots under the seat in the toolbox).

Enjoy playing in the snow!

Bill

Fun Engineer

I hear lots of guys use that or windshield washer solvent. All much less expensive than Rim Guard. Yes I've heard it's easier on the Trans axle than say suit case weights. Not sure it much of an advantage over wheel weights.

squonk

Fill the Tires!

Edited by squonk

oldlineman

I have windshield washer solvent in my rear tires 414-8 about 5 or so gal. per tire workes well in summer too for mowing on hilly yard not that hard to install and not too expensive. I put tubes in to keep the water away from the rims. At 8 # per gal should be around 8x5=40 lbs per tire it helps!

tsmall07

Along the same lines, which tires are better for plowing, ag or turf?

Fun Engineer

I like turf with two link chains. More surface area=extra traction?

• Like 1

tsmall07

That's what I figured. Just wanted to make sure.

Ed Kennell

Filled turf tires w/ double cross  vee bar chains...unstoppable, but rough on the blacktop.

shallowwatersailor

I am using filled ags this year that are 23X8.50-12 instead of 23X10.50-12 turfs that are normally on 5xis. The weight of those plus wheel weights plus a couple of suitcase weights hopefully will do the trick. They should be easy on the asphalt.

Edited by shallowwatersailor

KC9KAS

I use windshield washer fluid with tire chains on turf tires.

Works very well. I use the same set-up for the garden plow too!

Lane Ranger

You can buy the Wheel Horse logo decals for the Craftsmen black plastic 12 inch wheel weights from Vinylguy (Vendor on Red Square) that are round and fit right in the center of the Craftsmen weights.  

post-339-0-45987100-1412301737_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Tankman

You could make wheel weights, fairly easy. Access to a salvage yard?

• Like 4

Ethan and Randies horses

you can make them from old plastic barbell weights and make a bracket they go on

sluggo

Wow! That is a heck of a lot of good advice! 

I think I have a plan: I will fill my tires with fluid and get DOUBLE link chains, then I'll keep  hunting for some cast iron wheel wheels. 

Thanks!

Fun Engineer

Just had Rim Guard installed in my 24x12x12 HDAP's. Close to 7 gallons each tire with new metal valve stems. $56 out the door. Tires and rims before Rim Guard 34# each. After Rim Guard 106# each.

Shop around for prices. My local Rim Guard dealer wanted $265 [emoji15]. I had to drive an hour away for a better price but it was well worth it. Call Rim Guard and they can give you dealers near you.

These babies are heavy [emoji4] and will make a huge difference this winter.

• Like 2

shallowwatersailor

Just had Rim Guard installed in my 24x12x12 HDAP's. Close to 7 gallons each tire with new metal valve stems. $56 out the door. Tires and rims before Rim Guard 34# each. After Rim Guard 106# each.

Shop around for prices. My local Rim Guard dealer wanted $265 [emoji15]. I had to drive an hour away for a better price but it was well worth it. Call Rim Guard and they can give you dealers near you.

These babies are heavy [emoji4] and will make a huge difference this winter.

Dave,

Does the JD hub accept 1/2-20 bolts (or the size JD uses) so you don't have to struggle with the weighted tire?

Fun Engineer

As in making a stud to slide the tire in place? Yes they do and I have "one" bolt I can cut to make a stud to use in sliding them on.

I put studs in the last two Wheel Horses hubs I restored but since I don't switch wheels around they really didn't help much.

squonk

I put studs in all of my hubs. Even the RJ

WheelHorse79

On the tire question, you basically have 3 choices: turf, ags or HDAP.  I chose HDAPs because they have more traction than turfs, but don't tear the yard up like ags can if the yard is soft.  On my C-101, I use HDAPs and 40# cast iron weights.  With the 25# Wheel Horse front weights, I had no problems plowing my driveway last winter.  I was afraid that chains would mark up my driveway, and the HDAPs with weights are a good alternative. 

post-8950-0-57917100-1413589822_thumb.jp

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I put studs in all of my hubs. Even the RJ

So do I. :)

wingrider

What is a HDHP tire

• Like 1