Snoopy11

1985 EZ GO frame and electrical repair

Snoopy11

Hello my good people

SO... I am starting to get around to my next project that I am going to be working on over the next few weekends. It is a 1985 EZ GO golf cart... and it has some issues. :(

Unfortunately, on this machine, the motor had actually rolled forward upon heavy braking... and the positive terminals came into contact with the frame. NOW... the machine will not run at all. :angry-screaming:

I do believe that the frame is broken in the rear... so I will be repairing... maybe even replacing that. :eusa-think:

What I don't know is if the motor itself is bad... or if any of the electronics are bad. The question is... what got fried...

@Evguy... I don't know if you can stay tuned to this thread... but I'd appreciate it. :greetings-waveyellow:

You can see on the front of the motor where it actually rolled downwards and the positive terminals contacted the frame. I haven't had a chance to get under this cart yet, but I am most positive that the leaf springs broke free from their mounts causing this to happen. :unsure:

100_2117.JPG.e0c29a91fd7c914e143fab10c3e6047f.JPG

There are 2 more wires that go to the back of this motor... so a total of 4 wires going to the motor. :eusa-shifty:

I don't know how to test the speed controller or any of the other electrical equipment. :scratchead:

100_2118.JPG.06d284a32814b3f38140f0d97ba7016d.JPG

100_2119.JPG.760107117936f634a9eba9d769455e3a.JPG

This one is going to be a VERY big deal... :rolleyes:

I think I will start on this machine next weekend... so hopefully I can gather some intelligence before then... :ph34r:

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
12 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

hopefully I can gather some intelligence

Something about that just doesn't sound right... :ph34r:

My IQ test results just came in and I'm really relieved. : Jokes

:laughing-rolling:

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Haha 1

Evguy

If there isn’t a fuse, I would guess motor controller is a paperweight. 
Motor can be tested by unhooking it from cart electrical and using a power supply or battery and test spin it. How many volts? 48 or 36. I have a controller laying around somewhere.

Sounds like a bit of a job, I always wanted a golf car but I would probably just modify it to insane levels 

Edited by Evguy
  • Like 2

Snoopy11
18 minutes ago, Evguy said:

:text-yeahthat:

I think there is an old one in the shop...

A good while ago I think this cart was upgraded to a faster speed controller... so the old one should be somewhere around here..

DEFINITELY no fuse...

Don

Snoopy11

Posting this here for my own reference... and for any future thread viewers...

95 Ez Go 36v Wiring Diagram - Wiring Diagram Networks

Check Power Output From the Controller

Connect the negative probe to the controller's M terminal and positive probe to the B+ terminal. Press the accelerator and watch to see if the voltage increases. It should increase from a reading of 0 to the full voltage of the battery. If the motor is not turning, the problem may be in the directional switch or motor. If there is no voltage, the controller is bad and must be replaced.

Don

Edited by Snoopy11

Evguy

Looks like you’re on the right road..

any results?

Snoopy11
Just now, Evguy said:

Looks like you’re on the right road..

any results?

No... I won't get to actually physically working on the cart until this weekend. Too many things going on with classes, lectures, meetings, assigned reading, quizzes, papers, discussion boards... not to mention looking at 12 other people's papers to tutor them on how to put "number 1" in the running head of their papers... blah blah blah... :wee

I did get a chance to peek under the back of it yesterday though. :ph34r:

What I saw made profanity protrude through my lips...:bitch:

BOTH rear hangers are broken for the leaf springs... :(

That is going to require a lot of work to fix. I'll probably pick up a roll ...or 2... of welding wire later this week.

Don

Evguy

Make it stronger, may as well lift it too 😆

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, Evguy said:

may as well lift it too

I'd love to... only problem with that is... the female lady women would run me over with it if I did...  :P

I don't think they would like it any taller than it is... then they'd have to 'climb' into it... :rolleyes:

Don

Vurge

Just a heads up if you start researching the controller.  I've worked on a couple golf carts including two EZGO models.  You might have a 1985 body/frame, but that controller is definitely a later modification.  I think my 94.5 EZGO Marathon was when they first switched to the solid state controller and yours is a newer version. Looks like the one on my 2010 TXT.   Haven't had any need to work on the TXT, but I've upgraded an older electrical cart to solid state using a Marathon controller. 

This manual may be helpful to you in testing the controller and motor.  I think that might be your controller (check the label) on Page 47.  

EZGO 36v Technician's Repair Manual

Edited by Vurge
  • Thanks 1

Snoopy11
On 9/8/2022 at 1:42 PM, Vurge said:

This manual may be helpful to you in testing the controller and motor.  I think that might be your controller (check the label) on Page 47.

Hey @Vurge... that manual link does not work. :(

I did find some information online about testing it though... and after a bit of testing this morning... I am 98% sure it is roached...

I was able to find the old controller though... so hopefully I will be able to put that in this weekend... and get some more stuff done on it now that I have the truck all buttoned back up. :violin:

@Evguy we are getting closer and closer to the 24th!!! I think I can get everything on this cart done this weekend... so I am on schedule! :music-rockout:

Don

• Heart 1

Snoopy11

Quick update on this thread

I was able to fix the frame on this golf cart last weekend... so everything is ready to go. I put a new controller in it... tested the motor, and everything seems to work.

I did not want to put the 6 volt acid batteries back in this cart. The acid leaks, eats the frame, causes more issues. SO... I decided to go with sealed deep cycle batteries, 3 --12 volt deep cycle batteries in a series. They are 109 AH per battery, which should be more than enough for what this cart is used for (going to check the mail, etc).

I bought the batteries along with a custom charger... so hopefully everything will be fine with that.

Don

• Like 2

davem1111
On 9/5/2022 at 3:39 PM, Snoopy11 said:

No... I won't get to actually physically working on the cart until this weekend. Too many things going on with classes, lectures, meetings, assigned reading, quizzes, papers, discussion boards... not to mention looking at 12 other people's papers to tutor them on how to put "number 1" in the running head of their papers... blah blah blah... :wee

image.png.45bfa0ee30af7eca503873ece692c079.png

• Haha 1

Oldskool

Wow I just found this thread.

You had it fixed before I even read it.

Was going to follow lol.

I have a cart I was given. I was going to get it going in some way for the kids to use at camp.

• Like 1

Snoopy11
1 hour ago, Oldskool said:

Wow I just found this thread.

You had it fixed before I even read it.

HAHAHAHA...

Yessir, now just a matter of batteries and a charger and it should roll again!!!

Don

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11

New batteries, new charger. It rolls and charges.

100_2183.JPG.444305ca15c261c04dd0339dd2297d82.JPG

100_2184.JPG.2150596fa64f3ff06ee883a47949bbb6.JPG

100_2185.JPG.4a002f7f81528f236a73d06260b856d0.JPG

100_2182.JPG.e1371fba6e02fb305853626b9163564d.JPG

Don

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11

"tis finished...

100_2189.JPG.4de004069237d6cfdca9f8b968217967.JPG

100_2190.JPG.e49efe55e94df06b42d53a1f1f5331b5.JPG

100_2191.JPG.e54ea4481c7ff966c81f7d752033888e.JPG

100_2192.JPG.0a78090fc9fff63d19b86c8506062901.JPG

100_2193.JPG.abb31e13d8f74efdb6dd2ab27eab6328.JPG

Don

• Excellent 3

Snoopy11

Found some metal fatigue today that I had to fix. I was having steering issues... loose steering... etc... finally got around to fixing it.

100_2569.JPG.530d7df7ba1ff58e652c3e0d5db75b39.JPG

100_2570.JPG.e0a68cd79a5b90a6e5906ecc5ec47160.JPG

Also have been having a few issues related to the key switch. The cart does not shut off when the key is turned off... (the switch has been going bad for a while... it would stop and restart without warning... had a hard time figuring out what was wrong... now it just stays on all the time)...

I ordered a new key switch...

Don

• Excellent 1