Heatingman

How to identify Transaxle number

Heatingman

I see all sorts of posts referencing specific transaxle numbers in order to reference bearings and seals.

Is this stamped into the casting?

953 nut

Presuming you are referring to a Uni-drive manual transmission there are only a few choices to make.

Is it reasonable to presume this transaxle is the one that was there when it left the factory?

What model and year Wheel Horse are you working on and what parts will you looking for?

What size axles have you got, 1" or 1 1/8"?

Is it a three speed with reverse or does it have a high/low selector too?

If it has the high/low selector is there a combination clutch/brake or separate peddles?

@stevasaurus is the man on these transmissions.

Take a look at this manual for more information.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Heatingman

Im pretty sure I know its a 5084, as thats what that trans book shows. I have no reason to suspect otherwise. 

And upon tear down, everything seems to jive.

I was more curios for when there is an frankenstein tractor created. Like when you buy a used transaxle or pick one from a junk yard etc…

• Like 1

953 nut

The true beauty of the Uni-drive transaxles is the interchangeability of internal parts. The bearings and seals used in these are standard hardware and can be purchased at any good auto parts store or industrial supply hardware store. For the most part the internal components from later model transaxles can be used to save a much older transaxle. 

If you do buy a Frankenhorse with transmission issues and the manual won't help ID it just take lots of pictures and post it up here, we love a good mystery.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

clueless
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The true beauty of the Uni-drive transaxles is the interchangeability of internal parts. The bearings and seals used in these are standard hardware and can be purchased at any good auto parts store or industrial supply hardware store. For the most part the internal components from later model transaxles can be used to save a much older transaxle. 

If you do buy a Frankenhorse with transmission issues and the manual won't help ID it just take lots of pictures and post it up here, we love a good mystery.

:text-yeahthat: