Stormin

HVC Charity Poughing Match.

stevasaurus

Excellent pictures Norm...Thanks for Sharing.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

peter lena

@Stormin  thanks for the ride along ! could definitely relate to it ,love to seeing torque and gearing at work , makes it look easy , we too  have had heat and humidity , look ig forward to the  zagrey show coming up , colchester ct , lawns are gone and just looking to get some rain , overall weather is out of sink , thanks pete  

• Like 1

davem1111

Thanks! I enjoyed seeing those older tractors.  The Ford 9-N reminds me of my Dad's that's sitting behind my brother's shop out in NJ. I've thought about taking that as a project but it needs a lot of work and is 700 miles away.

I'm curious - what are the judging criteria in a ploughing match?  Straightness, depth, consistency, time... ?

• Like 1

squonk

Nice shine on those Moldboards! :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

Pullstart

Cool stuff!

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Very cool Norm! 

• Like 1

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:               Looks like conditions were just right for a good day of turning soil.              :text-goodpost:

• Like 1

Stormin
10 hours ago, davem1111 said:

The Ford 9-N reminds me of my Dad's that's sitting behind my brother's shop out in NJ. 

That's not a Ford. It's a Massey Fergusson. Never seen a Ford 9-N. But the little Fergies are quite prolific. Look nearly identical. 

10 hours ago, davem1111 said:

I'm curious - what are the judging criteria in a ploughing match?  Straightness, depth, consistency, time... ?

All those three plus Start, (split) width, no stubble or grass showing. Also the finish where the furrows meet in the middle. They plough in both directions from either side of the plot.

FYI. The plots are set out very accurately. We use a wheel with counter for length and two pointed spade handles, joined by a rope for width. So all plots are the same dimensions. Each plot has a numbered peg and the ploughmen draw a number from a box/bag, so it's pot luck which plot you get. Keeps things fair. There are different classes. Vintage Hydraulic, Drag ploughs, Novice and a couple I just can't think of for now.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 3

davem1111
21 hours ago, Stormin said:

P1040327.JPG.f1408631e8f9bd89437cd720cd114d2d.JPG

P1040329.JPG.6ffda830c05c88c2073cc2ca874ec7ae.JPG

8 hours ago, Stormin said:

That's not a Ford. It's a Massey Fergusson. Never seen a Ford 9-N. But the little Fergies are quite prolific. Look nearly identical. 

Wow, neither of those is a Ford 9-N?  It must be very hard to tell the difference with no decals/logos, etc. I had a Ford 8-N for quite a few years, and had noticed a few differences between the 8 & 9, like the 9 having footpegs instead of floorboards. But I also have read about how Ford basically stole Ferguson's designs after Ferguson agreed on a handshake to have Ford produce them. Some sad history there...

https://livinghistoryfarm.org/farminginthe40s/machines_0204.html

• Thanks 1

Stormin

That's an interesting read there, Dave. Thankyou. :handgestures-thumbup: