Ed Kennell

953 question

Ed Kennell

I picked up this 953 yesterday.    It came with a snow plow but was missing the right rear wheel.    The PO states he was plowing his garden about 10 years ago when the wheel rusted through from the calcium and fell apart.       I have no reason to doubt him because it was still setting at the end of his garden.

So, I found this old table top in my lumber pile, drilled a few holes and made a spare wheel.

I was able to drag it on the trailer, but the differential was locked.   The good left wheel turned OK, but the wooden wheel was turning the opposite direction and sliding.

After I got it home, I pulled both wheels and the belt guards off to check the brake and input pulleys to be sure they were free.   They were OK.     

Checked the fluid in the tranny and found about a 1/2 " of a tar like goo.     Just enough to glue the gears together and prevent it from rolling.  By locking one axle and with a bar, I was able to break the gears loose and get the wheels to turn properly and check that the shifter and all gears were working properly.

So my plan was to pull the seat pan so I could pull a bolt on top and fill the tranny with diesel and get it flushed and freed up to roll it off the trailer.   

Now comes the question....It appears the fenders, seat pan, side plates and gas tank are all one welded assembly.   Does this mean everything must be remover including the clutch and brake assemlys and the hydraulic lift pump just to get the seat pan off?       I may have to add this to my list of Wheel Horse engineering goofs along with the rubber mounted engines and mounting fuel tanks below the fuel pumps. 

Thoughts on cutting a section out of the seat pan  to remove the fuel tank,  then bolt it back on.

Oh, @19richie66 and @ebinmaine   have officially dubbed this one "FRED".

104_0921.JPG.d3ad30b34109d442949bf82d6b1d98c0.JPG104_0922.JPG.8a37e7c7852758175831c01298b7990d.JPG104_0920.JPG.25b73e65595adfe5c7d9447e8a73f372.JPG104_0919.JPG.62ce73ca4c1eb2e3f805b06da80e9164.JPG104_0931.JPG.68fe30ba11b2e51a600b03e9a72b9501.JPG104_0930.JPG.7265f694edcfd8a8bf41be2b7f7d160c.JPG104_0929.JPG.50a33773eafe4893b6f2ac25e1439092.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

squonk

Ya Ed. I know you're "supposed" to remove the transmission to remove the fuel tank. I'm sure someone has done something different.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

953 nut

Nice find, looks better than one 953 you had on that trailer.     :ychain:     got to love that wooden wheel, cold be the latest trend in tractor design!

You are spot on when it comes to a design goof. The transmission needs to be removed to do anything with it or to remove the gas tank. The pump can stay but the pivot end of the hydraulic lift cylinder makes it a tight squeezer to remove one of the transmission bolts but it is basically four 3/8" bolts, lower belt guide, fuel line and brake rod and you are off to the races. Have to tilt it forward as it is being removed to clear the shift lever.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Quite the find there Ed. 

Excellent work on that "wheel". 

I'd have done something far more difficult and costly instead of so simple. 

• Like 3

Ed Kennell
5 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The transmission needs to be removed

37 minutes ago, squonk said:

remove the transmission

OK, I didn't even consider that.        Guess I bolt the wheels back on, drag it in the shop, and pull the transmission.

10 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

better than one 953 you had on that trailer. 

But that one had 4 wheels Richard.      Should I bring this one to the 2023 show for you?

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Kenneth R Cluley

Yab A Dabba Do!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell

I put the wheels back.      With the transmission freed up, she rolled of the trailer with ease.

After raising her up I could get  the bolt out that clamped the rear lift cable.    I was able to pump the tranny full of diesel thru that hole.  No need to remove the tranny or seat pan.

The right axle seal and the input pully seals are leaking.    Looks like the dreaded hub removal is next.

104_0936.JPG.fd42505f3af40502ad3fa7eb0a8568b0.JPG

• Like 4

19richie66

Mine already had a hole cut below the seat so I just finished it off and made a package tray. I moved my tank to the tool pocket. Of course Jay(JPWH) has it now. You can see in the first picture how the frame is welded across the front of the fender pan. Not the easiest thing to service when stock

E12E4580-8A17-41D1-9A7D-87FCE33D0D66.jpeg

48201C6A-BBE6-4538-86BF-7B9821C6527C.jpeg

• Excellent 5

Ed Kennell

Nuther 953 question.        I understand the primer lever on the fuel pump, but what is the purpose of the plastic plunger on the points?  Why would you need to hold the points open?

104_0938.JPG.39980719bb65b22f8b50bf4c48447e84.JPG

Handy Don

The plastic bugger shorts out the points. If the points don't open, no collapse of the magnetic field and so no spark. Engine stops.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
27 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Engine stops

So it's just an emergency kill switch?

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
23 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

So it's just an emergency kill switch?

Exactly!

Ed Kennell
4 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Exactly!

Seems like a poor location for a kill switch, but....     

• Like 1

Handy Don
3 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Seems like a poor location for a kill switch, but....     

Simple and direct. Works for all points engines (battery or magneto).

And yeah, we have a runaway tractor so lets stick our hand in past the PTO pulley and shut 'er off. Right!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

19richie66
10 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Simple and direct. Works for all points engines (battery or magneto).

And yeah, we have a runaway tractor so lets stick our hand in past the PTO pulley and shut 'er off. Right!

Yep, not to mention running along side it :laughing-rolling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ed Kennell

Guess I'll add this one to my dumb engineering list.

1. rubber mounted tractor engines

2. fuel tanks located below the fuel pump

3. engine kill switch that may kill the operator

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Snoopy11
3 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

dumb engineering list

Well, as I am sure you know... if you were working on a John Deere... that list would be read like a newspaper... :coffee:

Don

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Many other tractor makers mounted the engine 90 degrees off of WH so kill switch was on the side...Or in case of Troybilt tillers on the front in the open...

• Like 2

Handy Don

1 hour ago, 19richie66 said:

Yep, not to mention running along side it :laughing-rolling:

And the hot exhaust right above.

All good reasons to make sure the ignition switch fails to "off" and not "run"!

squonk

On the other side of the tractor...... JUST YANK THE COIL WIRE OFF!!! :hilarious:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, squonk said:

On the other side of the tractor...... JUST YANK THE COIL WIRE OFF!!! :hilarious:

Ole Mike and his intelligent reasoning.... Who does that???

😂

• Haha 1

Rob J.
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Nuther 953 question.        I understand the primer lever on the fuel pump, but what is the purpose of the plastic plunger on the points?  Why would you need to hold the points open?

104_0938.JPG.39980719bb65b22f8b50bf4c48447e84.JPG

Kills the motor