ri702bill

Green Chassis Grease ..... works!!

ri702bill

All:

My son bought a "new" open box (or returned item) 7" variable speed electric polisher years ago. No instructions included, but it had the polishing pad and reversable side handle, and he got it for a song during a clearance sale. It looks like a full size 7" grinder with the 5/8-11 thread, but only goes up to 3000 RPM. We put it away and kind of forgot about it.

Decided to use it this week - man, it was noisy!!! The final gear drive sounded like a garbage disposal full of bottle caps! Pulled the drive apart - all of the foul smelling amber grease inside had been flung off the gears - they were running pretty dry. Removed all the original grease and re-lubed it with @peter lena's favorite Lucas green chassis grease - used it for over an hour, no more rattle, smooth and quiet.

I mentioned that the OE grease had a distince unpleasant odor - ran into this at work before. We used a non-contact vision inspection for the presence of grease in our Actuators - the grease had a UV trace in it that would "glow" under black light, but it had a nasty smell. The smell went away once the Actuator was fully assembled and sealed up ...

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

@ri702bill  I hear you !  interesting how that amber grease is in just about everything , works well in ceiling fans , no heat or load stress, so why not put it in all bearings ?  as said , always try to find a bearing with wide side shield access , no brainer for a hi temp / stress grease  swap. my experience with any unit / part failure is , a  cause / reason /  make it go away  , change . the opportunity is right there , so why not do it ? it just does not make sense TO NOT , improve a  failure spot , realize this is a challenge for many , not for me , immediately  go into a make it bombproof mode . when you look at my mods , you initially cannot see them , until you see the function routing and detailing , bill , glad you did the easy improvement ,   greasy pete 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1