Bill D

Another hydro pedal

Bill D

I wanted a pedal control for my recently acquired GT1800.  This is what I came up with.  It still needs some finishing and I may rework the foot pedal.  It's basically bolt on other than drilling a 7/8" hole in the belt cover.  I'm also considering building an automatic neutral return if I can find the right torsion spring.  I would appreciate any input and advice.

KIMG1737.JPG

KIMG1738.JPG

KIMG1739.JPG

• Like 4

Bill D

I'm thinking about sliding a torsion spring over the pivot shaft to the right of the cam.  Positioning and drilling holes in the cam and the hoodstand  would be tricky as the spring would have to be in it's relaxed position when in neutral KIMG1738.JPG.8b48bb801546f3bd8f408cacd436df87.JPG

• Like 1

Pullstart

What about a tension spring in opposite directions on adjustable eyebolts?  That way it’s pulling against itself all the time towards center..

• Like 5

Bill D

I

9 hours ago, Pullstart said:

What about a tension spring in opposite directions on adjustable eyebolts?  That way it’s pulling against itself all the time towards center..

I thought about that, but I'm not sure where to attach it.  I also thought about copying Matt's neutral return setup.

• Like 1

Bill D

@kpinnc Any thoughts on my hydro pedal setup?  I know you built one  for your tractor.   Trying to figure out a neutral return setup for it.

• Like 1

kpinnc
1 hour ago, Bill D said:

Trying to figure out a neutral return setup for it.

There really is nothing to figure out. You just keep the right side pedal intact. Depressing it returns the hydro to neutral. Works on everything from old Chargers all the way up to 520-H.

The pedal kits and builds shouldn't remove the original "centering" parts. You only change where the linkage to it is actuated from. The center pivoting carrier stays the same.

IMG_20210909_230712868.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 2

19richie66

I like that setup. 

• Like 1

Bill D
8 hours ago, kpinnc said:

There really is nothing to figure out. You just keep the right side pedal intact. Depressing it returns the hydro to neutral. Works on everything from old Chargers all the way up to 520-H.

The pedal kits and builds shouldn't remove the original "centering" parts. You only change where the linkage to it is actuated from. The center pivoting carrier stays the same.

IMG_20210909_230712868.jpg

I wasn't planning to remove the original centering parts, just add an automatic centering device that will return the transmission to neutral if you take your foot off the hydro pedal, like modern hydro tractors.  I personally think that is safer and maybe a safety improvement over the original Wheel Horse pedal design.  I was going to copy Matt's design for an automatic centering device, but I am concerned that my linkage may interfere with the spring it uses.  I'm looking for other ideas on how to accomplish this.

Bill D
2 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

I like that setup. 

Thanks.  I was going for bolt on using existing holes with minimal modifications to the tractor.

kpinnc
3 hours ago, Bill D said:

I'm looking for other ideas on how to accomplish this.

I think some medium springs facing both ways on the center pivot should do the trick. It wouldn't take much pressure to do it. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 8/7/2022 at 3:53 AM, kpinnc said:

There really is nothing to figure out. You just keep the RIGHT (??) side pedal intact. Depressing it returns the hydro to neutral. Works on everything..... 

Forgive my ignorance here...

I've been thinking about adding a foot control to my 1975 C160 Automatic.  

I have no right side pedal. Only the "brake/neutral return" on the left. 

My thought was to add a pedal that either pivoted in the center with fore n aft being toe n heel or...

Perhaps a C shaped mechanism  that was push with toe bottom and pull to reverse with top of foot...

Can you elaborate on what you did? 

kpinnc
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Forgive my ignorance here...

No sir, forgive mine. I meant the left pedal. My brain was standing in front of the tractor... :blink:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, kpinnc said:

No sir, forgive mine. I meant the left pedal. My brain was standing in front of the tractor... :blink:

All good.  

Do you have pics or a thread showing what you built?

kpinnc
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Do you have pics or a thread showing what you built?

It's in the 523-H thread in the restorations section.

• Thanks 1

Bill D

Finally built a return to neutral setup for my foot pedal.

KIMG2182.JPG

KIMG2183.JPG

• Excellent 3

kpinnc
On 8/4/2022 at 11:17 PM, Bill D said:

This is what I came up with.

You scare me Bill. We think too much alike! :rolleyes:

I was making one very similar on my 520-H...

• Like 1

Bill D
1 hour ago, kpinnc said:

You scare me Bill. We think too much alike! :rolleyes:

I was making one very similar on my 520-H...

Yeah, that is scary :D.  I'd love pictures of your setup.  Please post some when you can.

• Like 1

kpinnc
5 hours ago, Bill D said:

Please post some when you can.

Oh, you're ahead of me. I've just gathered parts and put an idea for design on a napkin... :rolleyes: 

I love the re-center mechanism you came up with. I hadn't thought much on that. I was gonna keep the factory left pedal for that. 

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, kpinnc said:

put an idea for design on a napkin

Well then where's the picture of the napkin??!!??

:hide:

• Haha 1

kpinnc
24 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Well then where's the picture of the napkin??!!??

Oh good grief! :D

I had to put the pedal behind the brush cutter project. Like most everything I touch, it'll get done eventually...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bill D
4 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Oh, you're ahead of me. I've just gathered parts and put an idea for design on a napkin... :rolleyes: 

I love the re-center mechanism you came up with. I hadn't thought much on that. I was gonna keep the factory left pedal for that. 

My design is just a crude copy of Matt's return to neutral setup.  I used a sliding door roller for the bearing.  I may have to find a different spring.  The one in the video is a little stiff.

• Like 2

Handy Don
10 hours ago, kpinnc said:

Seconded. Keeping the brake/center mechanism in addition seems sensible to me.

• Like 1

Bill D
On 5/3/2023 at 5:00 PM, Handy Don said:

Seconded. Keeping the brake/center mechanism in addition seems sensible to me.

I consider an automatic return to neutral function much safer, but that's my opinion.

19richie66

Yes it’s nice if you have to let up quickly and the mower does the stopping….. like if you have ever gotten pinned under a branch. Not that it has ever happened to me :)

• Haha 2

Handy Don
On 5/6/2023 at 7:40 PM, Bill D said:

I consider an automatic return to neutral function much safer, but that's my opinion.

Liking the belt and suspenders approach to keeping your pant up. Auto return and pedal.

• Like 1