Ed Kennell

2022 Deer Tails

WHGuy413
31 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Same here. Might be some coming into estrus late tho. 

Anyone use that doe in a bottle?

I've never had much luck with it. 

Who uses rattlin horns or calls? 

I’ve had decent luck with scents from a company call JS scents. They have a scent called Chill Pillz. It’s a calming agent that works great. It comes in a gelatin and I usually will snap a stick off before I climb into the stand. Stir it and flip a few small pieces out onto the ground. If you have a double stand like I do I set it on the side I’m not sitting on if not I set it on the ground in front of the stand. They also have an esterous that works great too in a small spay bottle. 

I’ve never rattled in a deer but Saturday afternoon i grunted in a deer that got close but not close enough before dark. First time it worked for me. 

Edited by WHGuy413
  • Like 1

Pullstart

The only time I ever grunted in a deer, I was trying to get the cat out of the field and my biggest buck (an 8 point) run out from behind my and let me fire off a kill shot!

This was a year that I got the 7 point opening gun morning and the 8 point in the afternoon!  First deer(s) ever!

1E6097F7-7758-4872-9E07-DB352494C62E.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Super windy and cold today!  Mainly windy, but it shoots the cold right through the layers!  Normally my tree blocks the wind, but today I froze out quick.  Coffee, warm house, and an afternoon hunt.  It’s snowing sideways and the wind is kicking up now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ed Kennell
28 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

I froze out quick.

I was up the tree @ 6 and  down @8.    28F this AM and I can't keep my toes warm.         Roasting them on the wood stove now.

• Like 2

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

I was up the tree @ 6 and  down @8.    28F this AM and I can't keep my toes warm.         Roasting them on the wood stove now.

Makes one think about one of these a little more!  My uncle and his buddy were toasty this morning, along with their electric heated things!

• Like 2

Pullstart

A couple weeks ago I ordered a meat grinder from Cabela’s with some gift cards we had stocked up.  I went to put it away and found I already had a new one on the shelf!  Since ai came in from the cold a little early, I returned it to the Cabela’s store quick before I head back out.  Well, a new gift card lasted long enough to get me to the insulated camo coveralls section!  There’s some sloppy 2” of snow accumulation, I’ll be back in my tree around 2 pm.

AFBE7066-CFAE-405F-B918-5C98F3BF999D.jpeg

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Cold and snow all day in Grayling...

No deer yet. :(

But snow is beautiful... :banana-skier:

Been out since 6:00 am. Going till dusk.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

36F rain mixed with sleet started @ 4PM.    No deer moving...I don't blame them.   Only a crazy animal would be out in this.

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
25 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Only a crazy animal would be out in this.

Guess that's me!  

I did spot that big a55 buck in the field today, but it wasn't raining here yet.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Haha 2

Ed Kennell
14 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Guess that's me!  

And me.

• Haha 1

Pullstart
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Cold and snow all day in Grayling...

No deer yet. :(

Been out since 6:00 am. Going till dusk.

Didn’t see a single one on our property all day… three of us hunted.  Rylee sat with my uncle and she saw one at 6:30 am.  6:59 was legal time to shoot.  I generally can’t see in the long grass until about 7:10.  One mile to the west sets another zone, so plus 6 minutes.  They are generally lighting them up about 15 minutes before we can!

• Sad 2

WHX??

Going the other way on seeing anything.  Does milling about all day and spoonbill came in for a visit.  I call him that cause he's got a spoon on one side. It was either call him that or Mike the spoonspike... hey you guys name your tractors! :lol:

Holding out for a nice 6 I saw when moseying out to the stand yesterday...  perfect rack but no brow tines. Long season yet & got meat from last year Kev won't help me clean up. 

We got an easy 4 inches of tracking dust on the ground and 28 here now. They stand out like a sore thumb in the big woods. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
14 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

We got an easy 4 inches of tracking dust on the ground and 28 here now. They stand out like a sore thumb in the big woods. 

It snowed all day, from 8am on, but the ground is still melting it a bit.  We have about 1.5-2” on the ground.

These almost look black and white, but this is what I stared at all day long.  No naps when the snow is building up on your eyelids!  :lol:

1A80CD2B-93EA-44DD-B66C-265891719D02.jpeg

C33E7374-CFBC-4D8B-B68E-A42FB3F034A8.jpeg

• Like 3

WHX??
13 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

No naps when the snow is building up on your eyelids!  :lol:

Guess I need to teach you young whipper snappers how to build a decent stand. 

All enclosed and heated ... made myself a threshers breakfast in it  today.  

20201120_121910.jpg

20181117_081521.jpg

Guess I should add a thing here. For me it's not  about harvest it's just about getting out and observing and studying. I get more of a kick just being out in the woods and watching. Learned long ago it's much cheaper to buy a side of low speed beef. But still the piece and tranquility of the stand draws me back. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

WHGuy413

Hurt my knee some time after recovering my dads deer. Was able to hunt my stand Saturday evening. Steadily getting worse. Called doc today. X rays and blood work to see if I got Lyme. Haven’t been bit by a tick this season. Hoping maybe the swelling and pain go down before Saturday. Unfortunately still gotta work. 

• Sad 1

Jeff-C175
21 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

build a decent stand.

That's not a deer stand!  It's a tree house!  Pete Nelson would be proud of you!  :text-lol:;)

• Haha 2

WHX??
5 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

today. X rays and blood work to see if I got Lyme. Haven’t been bit by a tick this season. 

You got bit by a Lyme tick you know it. I now have a third nipple ... upper left chest. No pics due to Sylvia's  squeamish... :jaw:

Got nailed three times in the last two years by one now. Best go to a woods savy doc who knows what to look for. Blood test is the only way to properly diagnose but escapes the untrained doc... just sayin. 

• Like 1

WHX??
15 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

That's not a deer stand!  It's a tree house!  Pete Nelson would be proud of you!  :text-lol:;)

Way cruder than that Jeffery but still... we have seen stands with power & such but this ain't exactly what reality shows would want to document... :)

Although the missus and I... never mind family site... :lol:

Edited by WHX??
  • Haha 2

WHGuy413
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

You got bit by a Lyme tick you know it. I now have a third nipple ... upper left chest. No pics due to Sylvia's  squeamish... :jaw:

Got nailed three times in the last two years by one now. Best go to a woods savy doc who knows what to look for. Blood test is the only way to properly diagnose but escapes the untrained doc... just sayin. 

I haven’t been bit by a tick all year. So hopefully not. Came outta the blue for sure. He said I could have irritated it helping get my dads deer out or the long walk back down the mountain. He said even if I didn’t feel it then it could have happened. The joys of getting older. Not that Im that old. 

• Like 2

Pullstart

Still, cold, calm this morning with a snow blanket.  Lots of tracks, they are using my water hole, and I think I have owls UNDER my stand in my tree!  They’ve been “hoo” ing!

659C4FB0-4C59-414D-ABDB-70CA97EF93B7.jpeg

90383D75-E5F8-43B3-8A26-BC217B7A4AD4.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

One deer at quitting time ...too dark to tell what it was.       Two more days of archery, then a week off to rest up for rifle season.

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

Cold and snow all day in Grayling... again...

Second day - No deer yet. :(

Try again tomorrow...

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

I watched a hot doe in the field this AM .    She pranced around with her flag up looking all charming for 15 minutes, one time coming within 15 yds of my tree.     I coudn't ask for a better buck attractant than this, but no buck showed.     She left the field in frustration and I headed for the house for some hot java.

One more day of archery.

• Like 2

WHX??

Stackem up like cord wood Ed... they didn't save us no Buffalo...:lol:

Got that one from dad! 

Need to hear more about this so called MO hunt @Pullstart. Guided hunt? Private or public land? Bow, rifle, handgun?

Always heard MO holds some monster flag tails... :)

• Like 2

WHX??

I just got the mini- skinny on his hunt Ed... I'll let Kev fill in the rest. Sounds like he's livin the dream tho... :lol:

• Thanks 2