Ed Kennell

2022 Deer Tails

Pullstart
17 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Check with the MI forestry dept. Here they offer seedlings for such stewardship efforts. Might have to buy in bulk tho. 

Done!  I emailed a local branch of MI forestry asking about programs to convert field to forest.  Thanks for the idea!

WHX??
13 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

free

Can't beat that but yep bet ya have to be a land baron. Fairly reasonable here and no land requirement but have to buy in big quantifies. Still not bad if you get some neighbors to go in on.  Lots of different species including stuff for deer cover. 

Thats how I got my white spruce acreage 25 years ago and look at how they are now. Always a small herd bedded in there. 

Check their website Kev, 

20221221_154913.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Here's the Pa Game Commissions seedling policy.

Landowners who have land open to public hunting and are enrolled in one of the Commission's public access programs are eligible to receive up to 500 free seedlings annually, as available.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2

Pullstart

The barometric pressure is 30.13 - measured by inch of mercury units - and is falling since its last observation. The humidity is 86.26 percent with a dew point of 26.6 degrees fahrenheit that is rising since the last report. Wind direction is East at 5 miles per hour, gusting at 6 mph.

I’m ready deers!  @Ed Kennell I’ve got hand and foot warmers cooking me today. Lots of shots around this morning.  Good stuff!

19761017-790D-4660-9D8B-DFC51E6F72EF.jpeg

4CD69EC3-90DD-4E40-94CC-7DC41AEB7BE5.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

@WHX?? here’s what the forestry group said.

Hi Kevin,

Your best source of funding for tree planting or other wildlife habitat projects is the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service.  I think their deadline to apply for funds in 2023 was at the beginning of the month, but they often find more money later in the year so go apply ASAP at their office on the East Beltline by Meijer Gardens.  And then be very patient and wait 6 to 18 months to get a contract with the federal government.  NRCS isn’t easy to work with, but they have lots of money and some good programs that can be helpful for you.

Grand Rapids (Kent County), 3260 Eagle Park Drive, Ste. 103, Grand Rapids, MI 49525, Phone: 616/942-4111

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/programs-initiatives/eqip-environmental-quality-incentives/michigan/environmental-quality

The Kent Conservation District can help you navigate NRCS or other government programs too - www.kentconservation.org 

• Sad 2

Pullstart

Snow’s starting to fall pretty good.  I got down for a Sammy and a coffee and right back up.  No wildlife other than feathers today.

0266820E-6522-4E96-9D28-822801D7D79D.jpeg

• Like 1

WHX??

USDA route sounds like a bunch of burning hoops to jump through. 

MI doesn't have a state nursery? 

I was hoping they did like we do... simple matter of just ordering trees. 

Ordering tree and shrub seedlings | | Wisconsin DNR

Interesting piece on trees & shrubs & what they are used for. 

Wisconsin State Forest Nursery Seedling Catalog.pdf

Pullstart

Three does ran across the back edge of the field just before dark.  Too far for comfort and too dark for a clean judgement.  They live another season I guess.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

rmaynard

This guy walked thru my back yard last night

12232346.png.f3f8e93223346f1d09b78d907d8fe3eb.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

While a friend of mine is vacationing in Florida I have been feeding his pets, thought you might enjoy seeing some of them.

100_4633.JPG.7509a55dee2036915621b10cf468af23.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

Last hour of daylight in the season…

078B5F17-71F6-4831-8B4F-12ED8C144872.jpeg

• Like 1

Pullstart

Momma made some marinade of sorts this morning.  Back straps are going in the smoker in about 30-45 minutes!

8874E6EE-23E6-41F8-A9EF-A4A623D4B5C3.jpeg

*edit* 

YUM!  250 degrees for an hour an 20 minutes or so, to a 145 internal temp.

7CEE879C-73D6-46AC-B613-8BD0C8151448.jpeg

Edited by Pullstart
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

WHX??

Thanks for the invite... :ychain:What's in the marinade?

• Haha 2

Pullstart
On 1/8/2023 at 8:16 PM, WHX?? said:

Thanks for the invite... :ychain:What's in the marinade?

Sea salt and black pepper grinders, along with some wild game seasoning, mixed with maple syrup, local honey and hot honey from Gatlinburg, TN.  So good!

• Like 1

Pullstart

I received an email from the Michigan DNR today, that land grant applications are now being accepted until March 16.  They have $1million in grant money available, and you must offer a 10% grant match.  You can request $15,000 MINIMUM for habitat improvements.  Most of the previous years’ applicants awarded were clubs, associations, etc.  not a ton of land owners, be it decisions to help the big guys, or not as many land owner applications.  Previously awarded grants 

I am not ready to apply, however it is good to know this is available.

Program objective(s)

The primary goal of this program is to enhance and improve the quality and quantity of game species habitat in support of specific goals from the Wildlife Division's strategic plan, Guiding Principles and Strategies - The GPS, specifically GPS Goal 2 - Manage habitat for sustainable wildlife populations in a changing environment.

Criteria

Applications are evaluated based on established criteria in the "Wildlife Habitat Grant Program" handbook, which is available under the "Forms and Information for Applicants" section below.

Eligibility

Any local, state, federal or tribal units of government, profit or non-profit groups or individuals.

Application process

1. Submittal of grant application with all supporting documentation.
  2. Evaluation by DNR staff.
  3. Awards announced by DNR Director.

Deadline

Application must be postmarked by due date stated on the schedule described within the "Wildlife Habitat Grant Program" handbook. 

Timeline

• RFP goes out January 30, 2023
  • Applications due March 16, 2023*
  • Awards announced by May 2023
  • Project period begins upon execution of grant agreement
  • Project periods are two years

*Applications must be submitted in the MiGrants online system

Grant limits

• Minimum grant request amount: $15,000
  • Maximum grant request amount: Amount of funds appropriated in a given fiscal year, typically around $1 million
  • Minimum match of 10% is required

Source of funds

Revenue generated from the sale of hunting and fishing licenses.

Authority

Part 5 of Act 451, P.A. 1994, as amended.

• Like 2