WH1618speed

518-H Custom Project (418-A & 520-H)

WH1618speed

IMG_1989.jpg.2ec9f1906e215e2b1bcc311780690e20.jpgIMG_1988.jpg.43bec2ad4070b6fb5a17d1ae5e8e2398.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 6

giddyap

I had an on again off again love affair with my forward swept axle. I tried to make her happy by putting her on my C-165, not once but twice. Yeah she made my tractor look sexy but the couple extra inches made her hard to park in my garage with the two cars. Putting the axle back in storage would have been cruel. She needed to be free and I needed the cash. But I kept the wide wheels and tires from the 520. Your tractors look good, and if  I still had the axle it would go on for a third time. :unsure: 

• Like 6

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, WH1618speed said:

IMG_1989.jpg.2ec9f1906e215e2b1bcc311780690e20.jpg 

Like those rear sneakers

• Like 3

oldlineman

Very common break on the frame, many have had to repair that, including me.  

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:clap:

• Like 3

Handy Don
7 hours ago, WH1618speed said:

Hey all, my new project is finished! I have combined a 418-A and 520-H together to make a 518-H. I put the Kohler Magnum 18 engine and the Eaton 1100 transaxle from a 418 on to a 1995 520-H frame

I did something similar but started with a 518 to get the engine. For what it's worth, my suggestion would be to NOT dress it with 518-H decals. That was a real model that had the Eaton 700 trans and manual lift. It'll cause confusion if you ever sell yours. What you have is really a 520-H minus a couple "ponies". :)

BTW, we just named ours Clyde (which, by the way, is a feminine name originating in Scotland but sounded burly and evokes Clydesdales).

• Like 2

Achto

Excellent job!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

peter lena

@ WH 1618SPEED , nice save on that , did you punch any added vent holes in your belt guard ? those twins are noted for valve / seat issues , lots of  vent related hole pictures on site , pete 

WH1618speed
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

@ WH 1618SPEED , nice save on that , did you punch any added vent holes in your belt guard ? those twins are noted for valve / seat issues , lots of  vent related hole pictures on site , pete 

Yes, I actually bought one from the show I plan on putting on my 520-8. 

• Excellent 2

peter lena

@WH1618speed good for you !, very often in my reply's / responses  I  will refer or mention something , entirely off the original question ,  thats something I  have done or  changed out , just like I  was there to ask or point something out . good luck with that , and take advantage of  your working electrical set up , common , cracked connectors , frayed wires , related safety switch , disconnections . would not hesitate to do over and improve a wiring issue . pete

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Looks like a nice survivor, great work!

• Like 2

Bill D
2 hours ago, WH1618speed said:

Yes, I actually bought one from the show I plan on putting on my 520-8. 

You don't need a vented belt guard with a Kohler twin.  The engine tins are designed differently than the Onan, so proper cooling shouldn't be an issue.  Great job on that machine.

Edited by Bill D
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

kpinnc
3 hours ago, Bill D said:

You don't need a vented belt guard with a Kohler twin. 

When I've repowered with a Vanguard, the cylinders set higher than the beltguard. No issue there.

On my Onan, I probably removed too much guard. But it works well. Venting the rear cylinder on an opposed twin may make no difference, but it makes my tiny mind feel better. :rolleyes: Then again, it doesn't take much!

Curious to see how the Mag twins line up. Please post some pics!

IMG_20211002_212808982.jpg

IMG_20210724_162422908~2.jpg

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 3

WH1618speed
17 hours ago, kpinnc said:

When I've repowered with a Vanguard, the cylinders set higher than the beltguard. No issue there.

On my Onan, I probably removed too much guard. But it works well. Venting the rear cylinder on an opposed twin may make no difference, but it makes my tiny mind feel better. :rolleyes: Then again, it doesn't take much!

very nice! I love the vanguard engines too. I have the big block vertical shaft on my SCAG mower.

• Like 1

peter lena

@kpinnc love the look of that vanguard , just a make sense swap / upgrade , sure your building detail totally goes along with it . one of those , have to have a bib , look overs ,  nice job , pete

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

kpinnc
3 hours ago, WH1618speed said:

very nice! I love the vanguard engines too. I have the big block vertical shaft on my SCAG mower.

Thanks! I also have a 26 vertical on a SCAG after another repower. Love it so far. :thumbs:

IMG_20200407_122539720.jpg

• Excellent 2

Snoopy11
3 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

SCAG

NICE SCAG!!! :banana-dance:

Don

kpinnc
1 hour ago, Snoopy11 said:

NICE SCAG!!!

The correct term for that machine is my "Wheel Horse preservation device".... :rolleyes:

Even though it is 15 years old and sporting a heart transplant.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Damien Walker
On 7/26/2022 at 10:26 PM, kpinnc said:

Somewhat off-topic, but I note your interesting hydro pedal (top photo). I am currently converting my 518H and would be interested in knowing a bit more about your set up. Where did you get it from and do you have any more pictures please? Many thanks!

• Like 3

kpinnc
10 hours ago, Damien Walker said:

Where did you get it from and do you have any more pictures please? Many thanks!

The pedal is from a Kubota. You can pick them up cheap on Fleabay. My setup however, is being reworked. The original had too many moving parts. It worked, but I'm changing it.

IMG_20210915_131116660.jpg

• Like 3

Damien Walker
3 hours ago, kpinnc said:

The pedal is from a Kubota. You can pick them up cheap on Fleabay. My setup however, is being reworked. The original had too many moving parts. It worked, but I'm changing it.

IMG_20210915_131116660.jpg

That is a very nice pedal, thank you, I shall consider it!

I am currently using a standard manual tractor brake pedal as 'Matt's' system does, but haveyet to do something about reverse...I understand why you say 'too many parts',,,,I am brazing a new  lever on to my brake pedal so that it works directly with a push rod from the original controls. Hopefully my photos explain!

20230523_222737.jpg

• Like 1

kpinnc
5 hours ago, Damien Walker said:

.I understand why you say 'too many parts',,,,I am brazing a new  lever on to my brake pedal so that it works directly with a push rod from the original controls. Hopefully my photos explain!

You're thinking is similar to mine. Just direct link to the center rocker.