Snoopy11

Charging system wires... 416-8

Snoopy11

Good evening my good people,

Some of you know that I am rewiring a 416-8.

WELL... both wires coming from the charging system are yellow... much like this:

042_zpsf47a2b58.jpg

SO, I just want to make sure of something... and that is:

I want the yellow wire with the diode on it to go to battery positive power... correct?

And the other yellow wire is for the lighting system... correct?

I would appreciate any advice/reassurance that you guys can give!

Don

Snoopy11

@ebinmaine you got's a clue?

Don

• Like 1

cafoose

I'm almost positive both of those yellow wires go to the voltage regulator and carry 30 VAC. The one terminal on the voltage regulator is +12 VDC. This diagram is for a points ignition. Magnum with no points is different.

Basic Wiring Diagram for all Garden Tractors using a Stator and Battery  Ignition System - iSaveTractors

• Excellent 1

cafoose

Magnum no points. DO NOT let battery voltage on white kill wire or magic smoke will appear :happy-bouncyredfire: regulator is wired the same on both engines.

Wiring Magnum 12 from Magnum 8 Harness & Switch - Wheel Horse Electrical -  RedSquare Wheel Horse Forum

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Achto
42 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

I want the yellow wire with the diode on it to go to battery positive power... correct?

That looks like a rather small stator. Might be a low amperage single wire charging system.  If you happen to have one wire with a diode, then you are probably correct.

• Excellent 1

Bill D
2 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

Good evening my good people,

Some of you know that I am rewiring a 416-8.

WELL... both wires coming from the charging system are yellow... much like this:

042_zpsf47a2b58.jpg

SO, I just want to make sure of something... and that is:

I would appreciate any advice/reassurance that you guys can give!

Don

You are correct.  Lousy system in my opinion.  I convert all my machines to the 15 amp system with the voltage regulator.

• Excellent 1

953 nut

You didn't give us a year of manufacture or model number to go by. Nor did you give an engine manufacturer name or model. Lots of wiring changes were made over the years but the one thing that remained relatively constant was the charging system. Here is the wiring for the charging system on a 1989 416-8. It is common to most models of that era with the exception of some 310s. The fact that both wires are the same color should have been your first clue that they can be reversed without any consequence.

1807304690_Screenshot(62).png.6e4b18269042973ce86fc926e57db2ad.png

• Like 1

Snoopy11

Hey guys,

I appreciate your input. This is a K341 engine. The tractor itself has no tag... it appears that the PO removed the tag on the tractor.

One of the yellow wires coming from the stator has a diode... the other yellow wire coming from the stator does not have a diode.

Don

Snoopy11
14 hours ago, Achto said:

low amperage single wire charging system

Yeah, my readings say 3 amps... and from the size of the wire... I can tell... it couldn't put out much more... :ph34r:

Don

pfrederi

WH used 2 different spec numbers for 416-8  71371 used in 1985 had the 3 amp system no regulator just a diode....  in 1986 the 71381 had 15 amp with regulator

• Excellent 2

Snoopy11
Just now, pfrederi said:

1985 had the 3 amp system no regulator just a diode

THAT looks like what I have. :bow-blue:

Don

cafoose

K341 should have points especially if there is a round coil with a wire going to the points and a removable spark plug wire. If it were me I would get a 15 amp stator and regulator and wire it up like this:

Basic Wiring Diagram for all Garden Tractors using a Stator and Battery  Ignition System - iSaveTractors

• Like 1

953 nut

The photo you used to show the stator isn't your engine is it? A photo of your stator would be helpful.

Being a K-341 and presuming this is the engine it left the factory with that would be a 1985 or 1986 model.

If it is a 1985 model it would have the diode and less robust charging system as shown in the first drawing. spec # 71371

If it was a 1986 it would have had the 15 amp charging system as seen in the second drawing. spec #71381

This information should help you find the parts you'll need

2104602575_Screenshot(63).png.048a7c21225e5d6930d6f984e0a17391.png1258231943_Screenshot(64).png.72f504767d5e301b6deb942596143508.png

Snoopy11
17 hours ago, 953 nut said:

The photo you used to show the stator isn't your engine is it?

No... it isn't... that's why I said:

On 7/11/2022 at 9:30 PM, Snoopy11 said:

both wires coming from the charging system are yellow... much like this:

It does not have a regulator/rectifier... it only has the diode.

I did pull the flywheel and looked, it looks like the initial picture I posted. I didn't happen to get a picture of it before I put the flywheel back one...  :(

I guess I could pull the flywheel again... :rolleyes:

Don

kpinnc
On 7/13/2022 at 1:04 PM, Snoopy11 said:

guess I could pull the flywheel again

I would. And then order a bigger stator and do away with that 3 amp system. 

• Excellent 2