Snoopy11

416-8 Resto Mod

ebinmaine
Just now, Snoopy11 said:

Yes, particularly with the carburetor setup.

It might be worth my while to pulley swap this tractor before looking into +++ rpm options... as I might very well be satisfied with a bit more speed...

Don

I believe that to be a real possibility particularly when you consider how much torque a k341 already has

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

how much torque a k341 already has

Yes... really... the more I think about it... the more I am erring on the side of a tiny pulley swap... as I am really just wanting a couple MPH faster in third gear high range.

I already have a fast Horse... would probably win the Kentucky Derby... so I'm not needing anything fast... :lol:

I just have a SUPER long driveway... and with a pulley swap, I could keep the rpms lower... while moving along at a nice pace.... which is really all I want.

Nice conversation... the forum really helps logic things like this out... :bow-blue:

I think... next time I visit a farm store... I will look into pulleys and belts... :banana-dance:

Don

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11

Hey @ebinmaine... Eric... you wouldn't happen to know the bore size of the top of your head would you? :eusa-think:

I could always measure...  :rolleyes:

Don

ebinmaine

Right now at wide open throttle that tractor should go about 6.2, 6.4 mph.

If you swap the sizes of the pulley you end up more in the range of 10, 10.5.

You'll have to make a whole new belt guard of some sort obviously.

Third gear will be tricky but doable.

Put the tractor in gear. Engine at idle. Let out the clutch slowly. Once rolling, increase RPMs.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Hey @ebinmaine... Eric... you wouldn't happen to know the bore size of the top of your head would you? :eusa-think:

Don

Yeah you better measure it and get it right the first time. I'm only familiar with the 70s vintage stuff and even then I've had some that probably were swapped out at some point and weren't right

• Thanks 1

Snoopy11
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Third gear will be tricky but doable.

My first time going into third gear on this 416-8... I had the throttle all the way up, and let the clutch out... :auto-dirtbike:

The good thing is... I'm already used to wheelies... so... it wasn't THAT uncomfortable... just... a little unexpected...  :laughing-rollingyellow:

Don

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

My first time going into third gear on this 416-8... I had the throttle all the way up, and let the clutch out... :auto-dirtbike:

The good thing is... I'm already used to wheelies... so... it wasn't THAT uncomfortable... just... a little unexpected...  :laughing-rollingyellow:

Don

I've done that with my cinnamon horse so I know exactly what you're talking about. Same basic machine.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Snoopy11
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

If you swap the sizes of the pulley you end up more in the range of 10, 10.5

10 mph would be just about right. And... I always have low range to pull like hell...

6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

You'll have to make a whole new belt guard of some sort obviously

Hopefully... if I just go down 2-3 inches in size... things won't get too wonky... but belt guards are pretty easy to fab... :)

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

So... the pulley on the 110995 transmission is a 5/8x6.5 inch pulley... thus... I plan to go with this:

image.png.76edd84d3ac44e02895de68958978880.png

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11

I got the muffler changed today. I hated the look of that big muffler coming out of the side...

100_1927.JPG.2cefba88f8b461e54b96154e4e473196.JPG

100_1928.JPG.73cb5eb07b1ee6d8a7c359d82dff9e2a.JPG

Oh, and as you can see in the picture... I put a 90 degree oil drain plug in... instead of the long piece of steel pipe that went over the axle... :rolleyes:

See below for the "before" oil drain

image.png.940fb2cb9c6c1712d1d243069517e26e.png

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

muffler

Whutsatt offrum?

• Like 1

Snoopy11
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Whutsatt offrum?

It's da' original muffler off the Duromax 457 that is on the L-157...

Don

• Like 1

Lee1977
On 7/25/2022 at 4:09 PM, Snoopy11 said:

Don

doble post

Edited by Lee1977

Lee1977
On 7/25/2022 at 4:09 PM, Snoopy11 said:

Don

Bore size should be the same on the magmun as the K. The the K341 is 3  3/4" standard.  With a 3 1/4" stroke.

peter lena

@Snoopy11  AGREE WITH @ebinmaine  on the kirk insite , personally , expecting a splash engine lubrication to keep up at  high revs / loading , is like really hoping it will work , like those  honda twins , pretty bombproof , hope you find your answer , pete  

• Excellent 1

davem1111

Tie rods: 

I thought I'd add this here, since it's somewhat related to Don's resto-mod.  Before I gave him the tractor, I wanted the 8" wheels off the front to replace the 6" ones on my 312-A.  I had them mostly swapped before I realized that this changed the required tie rod length on BOTH tractors. I guess the "ear" location on the spindle is different.  I don't know if Don was able to adjust his enough or replaced them, but mine would not adjust far enough, so I needed to replace them. New required tie rod length was about 10".  Buying another set of "stock" tie rods wasn't likely to work, since they would be the wrong length too, so I looked at some options to make some new ones. I'm kind of wishing I had gone with the Heim ends that someone suggested... I went with standard ends. I couldn't find 3/8" 24 threaded rod locally so I ordered a long piece. At Lowes I noticed that a 3/8" rod slid nicely into a 1/2" square steel tube so I bought some of that too.

These new tie rods are 3/8" 24 threaded rod inside 1/2" square tube, with a little weld at the end of the tube to keep it from sliding around. I guess I could have used nuts to accomplish that but 1) it didn't occur to me at the time, and 2) I didn't have enough 3/8" 24 nuts on hand when I dove into this. I think these will serve well, but if not, I have some experience making them now and some ideas how to make even better ones. Tractor is back in service, front alignment is straight, and she steers nicely.

969987726_IMG-0400(1).jpg.d16217a051f0b6fc8e0d8d4410c77c00.jpg

• Like 5

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, davem1111 said:

serve well

You'll be just fine with those Dave. Very innovative replacement.

• Like 1

Snoopy11

First comment... now the 416-8 won't stop following me around... it goes everywhere I do. I realize that I am attached to it... but... gosh... now it is attached to me... :lol:

Second comment... now the 416-8 wants special treatment, air conditioning in the garage...??? :P

The L-157 and the 800S are jealous... :rolleyes:

100_1963.JPG.93592dfe595aeae1706094eb99caea03.JPG

100_1964.JPG.f4128b24bff171c01a0f181c6bcf36e0.JPG

100_1965.JPG.f45ddc0625a71af16279f080343563d9.JPG

100_1966.JPG.6edc7beafb085c529889f238e3a54bba.JPG

Don

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Snoopy11 said:

now the 416-8 wants special treatment,

This can happen with the newer members. They must be carefully assimilated into the herd.

• Haha 2

kpinnc
On 8/5/2022 at 1:28 PM, Snoopy11 said:

Second comment... now the 416-8 wants special treatment, air conditioning in the garage...???

You said that wrong Don.

The 416-8 DESERVES special treatment. I fixed it for you ... :P

Same for C160s.

Edited by kpinnc
  • Haha 4

Snoopy11

Got some more goodies on the old girl...

100_2177.JPG.d1d5e692f9c342e9f1d01d2e4c2eb2c5.JPG

100_2178.JPG.e34ee6d1b1d232729ecfea47328ac18d.JPG

@ebinmaine ...I think BBT will like this.... it glows...

100_2179.JPG.18b075fda71eefeebb3229bad989bee4.JPG

100_2181.JPG.55f962dea24c03ae0a5453ee151a8825.JPG

Don

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1