formariz

Yosemite trip

ebinmaine

Just incredible pics Caz. 

We'd love to see the giant trees and that beautiful terrain.  

• Like 2

Pullstart

Amazing stuff!  I’d like to see the redwoods, and the kauri trees in New Zealand!

• Like 2

Sparky

Incredible! Thanks for the pics! 
   I can see why the panoramic setting was the best way to go for most of your shots :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

peter lena

@formariz  we did a lot of  national parks , go to this site ,  https://www.npbooksonline.com/  for the actual photo / story albums , when we wet to  CRATER LAKE / OREGON  in june years ago , the snow was telephone pole high ! we followed bulldozers pushing caterpillar powered blowers to the lake base , incredible. the lake was formed by the volcano that inverted into the earth . over 1000 feet deep . also did JEDADIA SMITH N/P  calif , parks make you feel very insignificant , like a speck of sand , and that you can't explain / tell anyone about what you saw , like  HOUSE ON FIRE UTAH ,  glad you went , pete   

• Like 3

SylvanLakeWH

It is an amazing place…

Here’s my son seeing El Cap in a way most don’t… he’s climbed it twice, Half Dome once… :clap:

The selfie was his Birthday “card” to me halfway up El Cap… :banana-linedance:

7437E0BC-5AC1-4430-8F84-73FC88BCA7B6.jpeg

2F76CB4E-344D-48F2-B398-CC6B8A7396D1.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

rmaynard

Cas, I envy you. Yosemite was one of our favorite trips. Here is a picture of Half Dome taken from Yosemite Valley in September 2013.

FB_IMG_1657203402018.jpg.d4fb547fabe8f5390c4a94909069ab9d.jpg

Edited by rmaynard
  • Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

stevasaurus

Love the Rocky's, Great pictures Cas.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

EB-80/8inPA

It’s nice to see you’re enjoying some of the beautiful moments life has to offer after such a trying year.  Thanks for sharing the pics.  Inspiring.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

tunahead72
12 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

7437E0BC-5AC1-4430-8F84-73FC88BCA7B6.jpeg

2F76CB4E-344D-48F2-B398-CC6B8A7396D1.jpeg

Yo Jim, please don't do that to me again!  It took me a second to realize what that first photo was about, didn't really get it until I saw the second.  And now I'm sweatin' profusely, my heart's acting weird...  I need a minute. :jaw:

Seriously, that's awesome!

Nice photos, gentlemen!

• Haha 3

Stormin

Such beautiful scenery. Also not over run with people like we get in the Lake District in my county. Thanks for sharing. :thumbs:

• Like 1

953 nut

image.jpeg.973137673f1f835d8285858a93e2af4b.jpeg

Thanks for sharing your trip with us, we are blessed to have so many magnificent areas like Yosemite that have been preserved for future generations to enjoy.

I bet that one made a sound even if no one was there at the time! How many board feet would you guess that tree is?      :ychain:

CA50D41F-632E-45A9-8E78-F72A184DFAC1.jpeg.34745a242f14a5b1a6114df85bb8a589.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

dcrage
4 hours ago, Stormin said:

Such beautiful scenery. Also not over run with people like we get in the Lake District in my county. Thanks for sharing. :thumbs:

Unfortunately the Valley floor is overfilled with people. I believe you need reservations to visit. The beauty and grandeur of Yosemite is …….,….!  Everyone should get to experience this par. 

• Like 2

formariz
11 hours ago, 953 nut said:

How many board feet would you guess that tree is?      

Not a Sequoia but another prominent tree species here, the Sugar Pine, a wood that I am extremely familiar with. To understand a little the effects of uncontrolled logging in this area up to the 30s one has only to look at the two photos below. Today sugar pine is really only available with widths of about 12 inches . Anything more than that is very rare if found at all and extremely expensive. About 35 years ago I was able to obtain some rare 30 “ boards totally clear and that was very rare then already. 
  The fallen tree on photo is about 40 inches in diameter and over 200 years old. It was always in a protected area and survived until a wind storm last year. The table top on second photo is close to six feet wide and although cracked it is one single board. Try finding a board like that today. That tree was probably over 600 years old when cut. There probably will never be another one like it. Hopefully we have learned something and will not keep destroying this planet with our reckless greed and lack of respect for its resources. 
514A195B-01AB-4673-BF10-0DB4F1A62866.jpeg.d1de06c6cb3ed4cd7b7f0be700b992b6.jpeg

AB3DB4F2-2A7B-4784-9E66-AAC1EDFF2952.jpeg.04808bf457bfdea2cdf8e12c403e8d6c.jpeg

• Like 3

formariz
11 hours ago, dcrage said:

Unfortunately the Valley floor is overfilled with people. I believe you need reservations to visit. The beauty and grandeur of Yosemite is …….,….!  Everyone should get to experience this par. 

Yes one notices that in the Valley since most camping is done there and there lots of amenities. They however control it pretty well with the necessary reservations. They gave to be made well in advance at least two months. That is to access park between 6AM and 4PM. 
If it’s not done that much in advance the closest two months to the desired date is unavailable, availability for each day announced in advance starting at 8 AM . Well , site becomes immediately flooded with people trying. I can tell you that 2000 openings went in less than two minutes. You have to be pretty good with a computer to get in on time and make reservations. 

• Like 1

rjg854

@formariz Read today about a fire there. It's burned 250 acres in the vicinity of the Sequoias, but not threatening them so far. Are you still there, Caz?

Edited by rjg854
Add
  • Sad 2

wh500special
1 hour ago, formariz said:

Hopefully we have learned something and will not keep destroying this planet with our reckless greed and lack of respect for its resources. 

I’m not optimistic. 

In some ways it seems like society is doing better.  The air and water in developed western nations is generally cleaner than at any time since the industrial revolution gained momentum.  And yet when we look around at the plastic pollution, the destruction of wilderness and disappearance of species, the general waste of scarce resources, and the lack of interest in curbing greenhouse emissions it’s easy to see that we are leaving really big footprints behind. 

Most animals know not to relieve themselves where they eat, but we at the top of the food chain continue to struggle with that fundamental lesson. 

great pictures!  Have a great trip.  

Steve 

• Like 1

formariz
2 hours ago, rjg854 said:

@formariz Read today about a fire there. It's burned 250 acres in the vicinity of the Sequoias, but not threatening them so far. Are you still there, Caz?

We left yesterday and are in San Francisco today. We were in that exact area on our last day there.  Sad to hear it. Unfortunately it seems to be a normal occurrence here. Everything is extremely dry. Last year they had a terrible wind storm with up to 120 mph winds that toppled many trees. Lots of stuff to burn on the ground. Thank you for asking. 

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1

lynnmor

I met this guy on a trail in Yosemite

SAM_1474.JPG.edfe8129d42d1de29e73d7ed748050d7.JPG.

• Like 1

Stormin

Bob Cat. Bet he didn't let you tickle his ears.

• Like 1

lynnmor
5 hours ago, Stormin said:

Bob Cat. Bet he didn't let you tickle his ears.

I met him in the middle of a narrow foot bridge, glad he jumped off the side.  There are quite a few of them in Yosemite keeping the rodents under control.

• Like 1

peter lena

@Horse Newbie  IF you are ever in the san Francisco  area , only 32 miles away is , SAN JOSE , calif , https://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/  you have just got to see this. incredible is just the start , we always had a go to pad , while in an area  , could be food , aerodrome , spectacular  drive , whale watching , etc , lots to see , pete  

• Like 1

formariz

Reading news from park sadly the area where I posted photos from is engulfed in flames. They wrapped the trunks of the sequoias I took photos of, with flame resistant blankets to help them resist fire. Hopefully they will be able to control fire soon. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

formariz

Sadly this fire is expanding. They are on a desperate mission to save sequoias by wrapping trunks with fire resistant blankets and installing sprinklers around them to keep ground wet.

7C3B742A-6E1C-42B4-89FA-FD0F8A2F823E.jpeg.06e75d5bef72a981acbf890c675fbab8.jpeg

33358EFF-BC02-44F3-95B5-40B530C9888B.jpeg.796b62ec1d45806635e0c49e30b7dabf.jpeg

C60182CE-EA40-4843-8288-2F91855DDBB1.jpeg.c4ccae3c8d5c3a0421dd2906ef2e95bb.jpeg

17F1B43A-85FF-4861-8340-7DDDCD6DD55D.jpeg.df7d9aa9893e1013e97cf6dcb02345cb.jpeg

99D2A97A-FB59-4243-AF1B-1163580E8D2E.jpeg.1441ada000ebedbbba35847d039562b9.jpeg

• Sad 2