Esbrian

Traction/balance issue while mowing

Esbrian

I'm having some difficulty mowing my moderately slopey yard with a 312-8 and 42" deck.  I am losing traction on uphill and side-hill paths, and am, as a driver, slipping to the downhill side of my seat, which takes weight off of one wheel and results in additional spinning.  I spend a lot of time throwing my weight around to compensate.

I'm thinking this is due to a few possible issues, and wondering where is the most bang for buck in terms of making my mowing easier:

1: tires.  My rear tires are worn but not bald turf tires.  Would a more aggressive tread help?

2: weight.  I'm not a big guy.  Rear wheel weights?  When I'm slipping going straight uphill it seems like tread and weight are the only remedies.

3: seat.  I don't know if this is the stock seat, but when I'm riding across a sloped area my butt is sliding halfway off the seat to the downhill side, taking yet more weight off the uphill tire and reducing traction.  Does the stock seat hold the average operator's butt where it ought to be?

Interested in what will be the most effective measure(s) to increase my ability to navigate this lawn short of gaining 50 lbs...

dcrage

Sounds to me like ‘normal happenings’ for mowing hilly yards. I have had ALL of the same issues for the 30+ years of mowing my yard with my 310-8. My advice/experience follows:

1) Mow up and down as much as you can.  Yes wheel weights and chains or Ag tires will help you traction issues. Realize that if you lose traction with chains or Ags you will tear up you turf!!

2) When mowing on a side slope the best thing you can do is the ‘weight shifting’ you described. Sliding in the seat is ‘normal’ if you don’t shift. I can’t imagine any seat that would keep you from sliding. And you really do want to shift to the uphill side(especially to turn). 

3) When you lose traction going down a hill you will probably start sliding with your clutch engaged. Your first instinct will be to depress your clutch and stand on your brake. DON’T!! You will gain control a lot quicker letting the tractor drive train dictate your speed. You might not realize you are sliding the first few times you encounter this. Gearing down before going down (I use low range on my hills) is the safest action you can take. 

• Like 6

Sparky

Not a fan of Ag tires, but I love these! Carlisle All Trails.

Get your self a pair of these and some wheel weights (and eat more snacks while mowing :blink: ).

B685841F-BC95-47B4-8554-DA6B038B55F3.jpeg

7D62D619-1CB0-4A20-9E2B-D9A5C048D2D3.jpeg

BC7A7A96-B2B6-497B-84F8-A8D9D464FD83.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Esbrian
30 minutes ago, dcrage said:

Sounds to me like ‘normal happenings’ for mowing hilly yards. I have had ALL of the same issues for the 30+ years of mowing my yard with my 310-8. My advice/experience follows:

1) Mow up and down as much as you can.  Yes wheel weights and chains or Ag tires will help you traction issues. Realize that if you lose traction with chains or Ags you will tear up you turf!!

2) When mowing on a side slope the best thing you can do is the ‘weight shifting’ you described. Sliding in the seat is ‘normal’ if you don’t shift. I can’t imagine any seat that would keep you from sliding. And you really do want to shift to the uphill side(especially to turn). 

3) When you lose traction going down a hill you will probably start sliding with your clutch engaged. Your first instinct will be to depress your clutch and stand on your brake. DON’T!! You will gain control a lot quicker letting the tractor drive train dictate your speed. You might not realize you are sliding the first few times you encounter this. Gearing down before going down (I use low range on my hills) is the safest action you can take. 

Well the weight shifting keeps me limber, cant complain too much about that.  I'm not experiencing any downhill slides, which is good... the only reason i am looking for solutions is that my previous mower, a real p.o.s., didnt have this issue.  Was lighter, too.  Guess athleticism is the way to go for now.

Good call on tearing the turf... even with these tires I'll spin through the sod in no time.

Esbrian
Just now, Sparky said:

Not a fan of Ag tires, but I love these! Carlisle All Trails.

Get your self a pair of these and some wheel weights (and eat more snacks while mowing :blink: ).

B685841F-BC95-47B4-8554-DA6B038B55F3.jpeg

7D62D619-1CB0-4A20-9E2B-D9A5C048D2D3.jpeg

BC7A7A96-B2B6-497B-84F8-A8D9D464FD83.jpeg

Dont think the sunflower seeds will cut it.  I'm leaning towards malt for the big gains.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

Esbrian

Those tires are gnarly!

JoeM

I've been mowing a steep hill since 84.

Gave up on the gear drive, the hydro has much more control. A little bit of coordination is needed but will catch on. 

Those All Trail Style Tires are second to none. Liquid filled are the best but if your not a fan wheel weights help.

I started mowing on diagonals a few years back to reduce the side to side mowing, helps stay in the seat. 

And there are seats that are less slippery and more contoured to the behind. One machine, i actually fabbed up some higher front mounts to tip it back a touch. I only wear certain pants, jean type, they slide less. 

Putting wheel weights on the front can help with steering slide. I have one machine with suitcase weights. Also keeps the machine at a lower center of gravity.

• Like 2

Esbrian
2 minutes ago, JoeM said:

Gave up on the gear drive, the hydro has much more control. A little bit of coordination is needed but will catch on. 

Those All Trail Style Tires are second to none. Liquid filled are the best but if your not a fan wheel weights help.

I started mowing on diagonals a few years back to reduce the side to side mowing, helps stay in the seat. 

And there are seats that are less slippery and more contoured to the behind. One machine, i actually fabbed up some higher front mounts to tip it back a touch. I only wear certain pants, jean type, they slide less. 

Putting wheel weights on the front can help with steering slide. I have one machine with suitcase weights. Also keeps the machine at a lower center of 

I'll consider rubberized truck liner on a dedicated pair of mowing pants, sounds cheaper than a new tranny.  Not much steering slide, it's mostly rear slip.

Esbrian
12 minutes ago, JoeM said:

Putting wheel weights on the front can help with steering slide. I have one machine with suitcase weights. Also keeps the machine at a lower center of gravity.

Does liquid weight require tubes?  I have filled tubes in my big tractor, hadn't considered for this

8ntruck

Liquid fills have been done both with and without tubes.  I think the condition of your rims really dictates if you need tubes or not.

I don't have anything with filled tires, but I would use tubes if I were filling tires.

• Like 6

oliver2-44

Liquid filled tires are even better than wheel weights. They place the weight low and the liquid helps flatten out the tread for better traction. Filled fronts can help too. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ri702bill

As @ebinmaine would tell you, you can use a product called Rimguard in the tires without tubes. Non-toxic beet juice, heavier than windshield or RV antifreeze, and does not rust the rims. But you need to find a dealer that sells and installs it for you.

I installed new tubes in my winter use tires - a typical 8.50 x 12 tire uses 4 and a half gallons - I went with windhield  washer fluid. No issues.

• Like 4

Tuneup

I got almost 15 gallons of winter washer in the rears on the 516H. One side tubed, the other not. It made a huge difference on the downgrade in just one area of my yard. The backyard is so steep that I originally ran it up and down. Tried side-to-side and it must be 35°. I sit over the high side tire and then have to make a turn to the right and get front slip. A little scary at times. The old Snapper was tried but it started to 'go' so had to divert the steering down hill. Odd, though, my old '67 Simplicity with its skinny tires did well on the old NJ lawn when a kid. Felt like a cowboy. I might be in the market for those Carlisles. Oh, the 516H is an auto and that does help when things start to slip. The 125 8-speed with its unfilled ags, not so much.

Lee1977

You may have too much air in the tires, try letting a little out to soffen them up a bit. 

If you can't push in a little in on the tread with you hand you have too much air for good traction.

• Like 1

Wheelhorse#1

Wheel weights front and rear.I had this problem of sliding down hill,in spots.

Added wheel weights no more sliding.

ohiofarmer

A wheel weight on the side you have uphill works pretty well. mine is the plastic coated kind. imma big boy and leaning works even after I trimmed off 15-20 pounds to maintain my girlish figure.

Of course there is the issue with the no pressure lubed horses starving the engine for lubrication.  Dont stay tilted to one side all day long....

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pacer

Ag tires, or something similar to what @sparky-(admin) shows (those are wicked by the way!!)  And yes you will tear up dirt more easily .... BUT, you wont spin out nearly as much! I hate turf tires, in my opinion they tear up more grass and cause more spin outs, and also getting hung up on the smallest root or snag.

adsm08
12 hours ago, pacer said:

Ag tires, or something similar to what @sparky-(admin) shows (those are wicked by the way!!)  And yes you will tear up dirt more easily .... BUT, you wont spin out nearly as much! I hate turf tires, in my opinion they tear up more grass and cause more spin outs, and also getting hung up on the smallest root or snag.

I agree.

I periodically have to take over the lawn care for a property adjacent to mine (both the current and previous owners have/had health issues that prevent them from doing it) and there is a spot near the street where the sump pump empties and keeps the area flooded and swampy. When I had my D110 with the "turf savers" I'd get stuck and/or tear that area up on a weekly basis. When I bought my first WH, with ags already on the rear, it never even slowed or slipped once in that spot.

Lee1977

I agree with Sparky that Carlisle all trails are a good option they are also available in other makes. I have Carlisle all trails ii on my 312-8 and have used it to mow , it usually gets other jobs as 

don't keep the deck on it .Wheels weights will work if you have them.

SAM-0735.jpg