ebinmaine

New Pole Barn shop/garage/dojo building!!

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

Something to consider with metal siding on the building is house wrap. It really cuts the wind wanting to find its way into the building.  i read about it somewhere and a buddy of mine tried it and has been thanking me ever since.. Also use rat guard at the base of the building to keep critters and wind from coming in at the bottom of the siding.

Ours is going to be metal roof but wood siding.

Still contemplating what to do under the metal but at the very least I think we're going to have a layer of felt.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

More trees felled and cut up today. 

The area is really starting to open up!

Trina and her mom used the 867 Pigpen tractor to haul wood.  🪵 🪵 🪵

IMG_20220703_161936.jpg

• Excellent 5

oliver2-44
13 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Did you coat/paint/treat your floor?

No I didn’t do any floor coating at my shop or my dads shop. Both floors have a good steel trowel finish. Smooth but not slick. 

• Like 2

ohiofarmer
9 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Still contemplating what to do under the metal but at the very least I think we're going to have a layer of felt.

It is common to use fan fold  insulation like they use as underlayment under vinyl siding. It comes in flat packets that are 48 inches wide and contain about 100 square feet. Being that width, they are laid as the roof is applied over them. Hopefully its not too windy that day. Felt paper would be much more difficult to lay over roof purlins. The slight breeze would take it off.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

It is common to use fan fold  insulation like they use as underlayment under vinyl siding. It comes in flat packets that are 48 inches wide and contain about 100 square feet. Being that width, they are laid as the roof is applied over them. Hopefully its not too windy that day. Felt paper would be much more difficult to lay over roof purlins. The slight breeze would take it off.

The roof will have 4" pine strapping across the trusses that the felt and corrugated metal roofing is attached to. 

When he uses the rolled felt it's laid the same direction as the roof panels. 

That's obviously a bit unconventional but it's a lot easier for them to install the roofing and underlayment in the same pass. Gives them a place to stand.  The climate here is rarely able to make enough condensation to run and the felt slows that even more. 

While it's certainly possible for the droplets to run down the felt and out between the strips, it's of very little concern. 

I'll ask about that fanfold. 

We sell it at my work.  Certainly wouldn't hurt to have a little extra R-value up there.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Achto

I recommend the fan fold as well. I've installed it on two metal roofs and it works out good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Here's where we're at after 3 days of forest clearing. 

We've felled, limbed, sectioned and sorted a good strong 60 or 70 small to medium trees.  
On the left and forward of the tractor pictured there are 5 or 6 small trees left. I'll knock those down as soon as the tractor is gone. Should be in the next couple days.  

Tomorrow we need to mark the excavation lines and a "suggested NO zone". We'd like to stay a certain amount of distance away (12-15' ?) from the tree line on the left with heavy machinery if at all possible to maintain the health of the forest.  

IMG_20220704_182321.jpg.12f6a3258341dd0fbc1f37795a146d89.jpg

IMG_20220704_182314.jpg.b6edeab56005f82df9da1229d82f8ad4.jpg

If you zoom in on the center of the picture you can see a pile of future firewood. There's a VERY sizable pile of logs and cut pieces to picture left, out of frame.  

We'll have enough firewood for at LEAST 2 seasons after this.  

Next few days I change focus to getting the trailer hitch put on the Kia Soul and getting a tractor ready for Owl's Head show.  Been mulling over taking one of the BBT's tractors that isn't often used.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine

Here's most of the pile of wood. Burnable stuff of course.

There was a fair amount of hemlock and quite a good many small saplings that we just threw off to the sides...

Left side

IMG_20220705_195247.jpg.6c5e5dcb577f7224e9c2dba3fb9b7550.jpg

Right side

IMG_20220705_195241.jpg.594aa791e6484e400ce406141aec14e4.jpg

End view of the right side so you get an idea of the size of the pile

IMG_20220705_195256.jpg.f43bd5ea5673df99e60b39733a191c23.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Here's most of the pile of wood. Burnable stuff of course.

IMG_20220705_195241.jpg.594aa791e6484e400ce406141aec14e4.jpg

Most of that is a size that will be easy to work with, I have some similar size dead trees that need to be converted to firewood but they will be dropped in a jungle making it a project.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
50 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Most of that is a size that will be easy to work with

Agreed.

We've come to a point as far as firewood that we only process stuff that's larger in diameter than maybe a baseball. If we can't split it at least once it just goes through the chipper or into the brush pile which eventually will go through the chipper.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Update with video describing the site from a side view.  

@Gregor @kwalshy

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

8ntruck
On 7/3/2022 at 10:50 AM, ebinmaine said:

My neighbor put a layer of OSB on the purlins, then a layer of what he called water &Ice, then the metal roofing.  Did the same on his house roof when he rebuilt it last year.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1

sjoemie himself

@ebinmaine you said it "quite a project" indeed.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

water &Ice

Ice and water shield. Bituthene. 

We sell it at work every day.  

Excellent product for it's intended purpose of preventing ice jambs and some use it as a temporary roof covering. 

One of the reasons we're going with the building type we've chosen is to keep costs down. 

Adding a layer of any sort of sheet goods like OSB will dramatically increase the cost.  It's a LOT of roof area.  

8ntruck

That it will.  Was just throwing an idea out there that has seemed to work well for my neighbor.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

throwing an idea out there that has seemed to work well

I do appreciate all the thoughts and experiences of everyone.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

rjg854

Just keep in mind, if you use steel on a roof, on bare purlins, you're going to get a certain amount of sweat because of the changing temperatures inside and outside the of the building.  That's why you need a solid surface and vapor barrier under the steel unless the dripping isn't going to be a problem. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Just keep in mind, if you use steel on a roof, on bare purlins, you're going to get a certain amount of sweat because of the changing temperatures inside and outside the of the building.  That's why you need a solid surface and vapor barrier under the steel unless the dripping isn't going to be a problem. 

At the least we'll have a layer of felt. As long as the water runs to the outside of the enclosed portion of the building it'll be fine.   

• Excellent 1

Snoopy11
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

it'll be fine

My favorite logo...

AKedOLShIW4VUiUiCzcJzsywoeEDxR8XxIhfaVgi

Don

• Like 1

kwalshy
On 7/22/2022 at 10:40 PM, ebinmaine said:

Update with video describing the site from a side view.  

@Gregor @kwalshy

You have a good amount of excavation work on this project.  And with that much fill material required with today's price of diesel, I'm sure that total cost is a pretty penny!  I hope those big rocks/boulders are only the size of a WH or two, not the size of VW Bug!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, kwalshy said:

!  I hope those big rocks/boulders are only the size of a WH or two, not the size of VW Bug!

Hahahaha.  

There'll be some of each I'm sure...

When we moved everything around for the New Garden site out behind the house there was two boulders that a 40,000 pound excavator could pick up but not move away from the machine to full extension. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Well we decided to move the building away from the road a little more. 

We'll have to lay over a few extra trees.  

Here's a video describing the site including the building location.  

ebinmaine

A few minutes ago I got off the phone with the excavator. We're still looking okay for the third or fourth week of August.

We've decided to move the new building away from the road a little bit as of a couple weeks ago. 

I've also decided to add more drivable area out back of the building.

That of course will add to the cost some but we submitted a high number to the bank and we also have contingency money above that so it should be fine.

ebinmaine

Excavation started today!!!

We're headed up North so we'll have a fantabulous new yard when we get back.  

:lol:

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine

This is the wood pile left by the excavator. Plenty of firewood 🪵 for next year. 

IMG_20220821_131514263_HDR.jpg.9c349e4e3e430e8719b960ec91635d66.jpg

IMG_20220821_131533828_HDR.jpg.639625f7db5b453c60ea5a31efd50971.jpg

IMG_20220821_131554011_HDR.jpg.eb193b915cec2aecfb6f65b10ee922ab.jpg

We've been working on cutting in to the pile to get it sorted out.  

Here's our new driveway the excavator guy did without me even asking. THAT'S customer service.   

IMG_20220821_131623062_HDR.jpg.7ac01f2784fec9b799187a108bc6042c.jpg

Some views of the new area.  

This wall. Is AWESOME. 

ALL the rocks came out of the excavated area. 

IMG_20220820_154038.jpg.1185fe14c2e023d18bd1e3a3c8ee822b.jpg

IMG_20220820_154032.jpg.7a66559fc1d8e45b9ebe4ccd4e208466.jpg

IMG_20220821_131634173_HDR.jpg.29861816704696ccca8d8f8c6f68e2a5.jpg

Video as viewed from the base of the rock wall.  

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2