ebinmaine

New Pole Barn shop/garage/dojo building!!

Dan.gerous
3 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

I have happy for you guys. That building will be nice no matter how you do it. Anything to get out of the sun for me is a plus. 

Such different lives we lead, here in Scotland we pray to see some sun! But totally agree on the importance of shady work areas in more temperate climates.

• Like 3

19richie66
17 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

Such different lives we lead, here in Scotland we pray to see some sun! But totally agree on the importance of shady work areas in more temperate climates.

I’ve had enough spots froze off me and a couple cut off me to where I don’t mind shade. As I get older, the sun cooks me even more. I guess it just depends on where you live. 👍

• Like 4

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

I’ve had enough spots froze off me and a couple cut off me to where I don’t mind shade. As I get older, the sun cooks me even more. I guess it just depends on where you live. 👍

I’m right there with you @19richie66

• Like 2

ebinmaine
On 6/26/2022 at 1:52 PM, Rob J. said:

While sealing up the cracks nicely.

I like this. 

Just NEED to make sure the foam is compatible with a wood shell.    

On 6/26/2022 at 2:15 PM, Snoopy11 said:

hope you plan to go with some kind of lights... Eric... (not sure if I mentioned it to you or not before about my positive experience with solar for lights in the shop)

Definitely will have a VERY well lit shop. 

My eyes don't adjust well from light to dark. 

Likely also paint the inside of the 1st floor shop space a very light color (similar to the Navajo White we use for our tractors).  

Interesting you'd remind me in the solar. 

Ours won't be totally solar..... Yet.  

But the BBT and I have talked multiple times about adding the panels to the house roof. (Shop roof won't be oriented right.)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

Weather here IS a consideration. 

Our summers hit 90⁰ plus a few times a year. 

Our winters hit sub zero temps every year at some point.  

The BBT and I both believe firmly in keeping our equipment under cover.  

We also have an appreciation for being temperature controlled while in a workshop and working out.  

All the spaces in the new building will be utilized at varying times of year in the different climates. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
27 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Shop roof won't be oriented right

Wonder if you could make some kind of mount for the panels...? :confusion-confused:

EDIT... Also consider solar panel electric actuators... to control orientation...

Don

Edited by Snoopy11
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Wonder if you could make some kind of mount for the panels...? :confusion-confused:

EDIT... Also consider solar panel electric actuators... to control orientation...

Don

Oh no no no. Angle's  WAY off. Like 90⁰ off..... 

• Like 2

Handy Don
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Likely also paint the inside of the 1st floor shop space a very light color (similar to the Navajo White we use for our tractors).  

I chose, over a lot of nay-sayers and kibitzers, to paint the walls of my shop white. Along with good lighting, it is a real pleasure to be able to see while working! (I dread working in the garage, now.)

Yes, it will get dirty eventually and need repainting. So I'll repaint!

I also painted the floor a very light grey with heavy duty floor paint (at over 350 sq ft the price of epoxy was out of reach at the time) and that has held up well while adding to ease of cleanup (and the finding of dropped stuff).

• Like 5

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Handy Don said:

paint the walls of my shop white. Along with good lighting, it is a real pleasure to be able to see while working!

I've had the thought. 

Our shop will likely get a similar treatment. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
15 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Oh no no no. Angle's  WAY off. Like 90⁰ off..... 

Oh oh oh... okay... eh... well... as far as tools and such, how do you plan to power them... generator?

Don

ebinmaine
Just now, Snoopy11 said:

Oh oh oh... okay... eh... well... as far as tools and such, how do you plan to power them... generator?

Don

For this year I'll run a cord off of the existing workshop shed and at some point we will order a 200 amp power connection. 

• Like 2

Racinbob
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

For this year I'll run a cord off of the existing workshop shed and at some point we will order a 200 amp power connection. 

It's interesting to hear all the great ideas being brought up here. As far as power goes, just what all do you plan on powering up? I'm curious as to why you need a 200 amp service?

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Racinbob said:

It's interesting to hear all the great ideas being brought up here. As far as power goes, just what all do you plan on powering up? I'm curious as to why you need a 200 amp service?

Lincoln tombstone stick welder. Two air compressors. Several shop tools. Fair amount of lights. I probably could get away with 100 amp. Depends on the cost difference.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Racinbob

I didn't think about a welder but even with that you'd have power to spare with a 100 amp. Hopefully you'll be using LED lighting so that's almost a non consideration. Also consider how many power tools you'll run at the same time, not everything you have. I have an entirely different situation with my shop because our main service is just on the other side of the wall so I've got individual circuits directly from that. I have a table saw, miter saw, radial arm saw, belt sander, drill press,  router table, compressor, small dust collector and all the normal power hand tools. Two 20 amp circuits works fine. But it's just me working in there and the house hvac handles that task. Lighting is 16-100 watt equivalent LED's and 3-4' LED strips, all 5000k. It's broke up with 5 switched zones but all on the same circuit. With all the lights on that circuit is running at 3.9 amps or <500 watts. 

Just more to ponder. :)

• Excellent 3

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

Just more to ponder.

All much appreciated.  

4 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

it's just me working in there

LED lights for sure. 

What I want to be sure to avoid is if I fire up a weld and Trina sets into a sawcut that also has the shop vac going as the dust collector. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

Spent some time beginning to clear the are of trees today.  

Got the ole 💩 Ferguson out the way. 

Moved about 20 to 30 small trees.  

Trina bought herself a new battery powered chainsaw. 

First day's usage gives good reports.  

IMG_20220702_160423706.jpg.b74c7a7c47653ec0a754a29b6e6d25b2.jpg

IMG_20220702_164025.jpg

IMG_20220702_164030.jpg

IMG_20220702_164154.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

8ntruck

I've got a little 10" B&D battery powered chain saw.  Perfect for light trimming or minor storm damage clean up.  Pull the trigger and it runs.  No as or wondering how many times you will have to pull the rope to get it going.  I've even cut up a 14" diameter log with it.  Took 3 battery packs, but it did it, though a gas saw is really the proper tool for this job.

• Like 3

oliver2-44

My shop is 26x26 which consist of an 20x26 enclosed shop and an 8x26 covered outside work area.  A 90 amp 220v feed handles the window AC/Heater (it’s insulated) as well as welder, tables saw, 3hp air compressor. The boathouse lights and 2 1-hp boat lifts and the irrigation pump from the lake also run off the shop. 

My ceiling is white and the walls are sure close to a lighter Linen Beige. I  painted the OSB shearing with one coat of oil base KILZ, gave it a light sand with a pole mounted pad sander using the mesh sanding cloth used on sheet rock. This worked good to knock some of the OSB fuzzies off.  I also used Oil Base Enamel for the top coat. 

In 1978 we painted my dads electronics business shop that same way.  Since 1990 that shop has been rented out. When it changes tenants we give the walls a wipe down with  purple power/bleach and touch up paint the scuffs. It still looks good 40 years later. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

My ceiling is white and the walls are sure close to a lighter Linen Beige. I  painted the OSB shearing with one coat of oil base KILZ, gave it a light sand with a pole mounted pad sander using the mesh sanding cloth used on sheet rock

Did you coat/paint/treat your floor?

Our ceiling will most likely be left as built, with the floor trusses left open for use as hanging mechanisms. Lights of course.. and MANY other things like bicycles, tools, parts, hoses, cords etc.  

For the walls and floor I like the lighter colored paint idea the more I think about it. 

We have 4 or 5 (4 x 8) sheets of pegboard in the current basement workshop. 

I'd like to double that in the new 1st floor workshop. 2nd floor we're not sure yet what the walls will be. As built the storage trusses are 24" OC so there'll be 22+" between them. The floor is covered with 3/4" Advantech. The walls are left exposed to the roof. There'll be a LOT of storage potential for anything less then 22" between the trusses... if we don't finish the walls.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

pfrederi

Sliding doors are a PITA in the winter. You have to shovel the area the door slides in.  The door on the north side of my shop is not usable in the winter.  Snow build up and some melt from the roof jam it up.  too much work to keep it shoveled off.  Snow removal equipment is kept behind overhead doors. Don;t want have to shovel just to get the snow plow out....

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
17 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Sliding doors are a PITA in the winter. You have to shovel the area the door slides in.  The door on the north side of my shop is not usable in the winter.  Snow build up and some melt from the roof jam it up.  too much work to keep it shoveled off.  Snow removal equipment is kept behind overhead doors. Don;t want have to shovel just to get the snow plow out....

Agreed and an excellent point of consideration. 

It won't matter to us because we hand shovel certain areas already and have for years. 

The door location was chosen specifically for snow removal. No falling snow from the roof to the door pathway.   

• Excellent 1

pfrederi
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Agreed and an excellent point of consideration. 

It won't matter to us because we hand shovel certain areas already and have for years. 

The door location was chosen specifically for snow removal. No falling snow from the roof to the door pathway.   

Okay youngster...will see how you feel about hand shoveling in a few years:P

• Haha 3

ohiofarmer
On 6/18/2022 at 9:45 AM, ri702bill said:

Excellent! What are you doing for a floor? I ask because if you are going with a poured concrete slab, you may wish to rough-in any underground services before it's poured - even if it just empty capped conduits for now. Not being a "living space" you still have an insufficient amount of windows - if you plan on setting up a good ventilated paintshop work area for BFFT, you need two - one for air in, the other for a 20" boxfan on the opposite end for fume exhaust. Are you open to the idea of fixed skylights?

Excellent design, including the 2 open carport type sheds. (not allowed anymore in my town - must be fully enclosed so the Town can tax it as a "Garage"...) Is the pitch on those sufficient so snow will not build up?? Looks like they will get the entire snow load off the Gambrel roof. How about a compound pitch - 8 feet high in the front, going to 7 feet in the rear??

These are good suggestions. If you are a bit "snug' with your money, just see a heating and air guy and get two multi-speed [used]  furnace fans and enclose them in wood filter boxes. I got two for forty bucks. i use mine to move air on hot days and some guys even add mister nozzles for redneck air conditioning

If the contractor shows up with a mini excavator, you could trench in a water /electric trench and put 3 inch or so conduit in there to run the lines later. As an alternative, at the very least , dig a hole through the floor and set a freeze proof hydrant with a water line stub out  through the side of the building. Then you can trench the utilities in there later

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 2

ohiofarmer

Something to consider with metal siding on the building is house wrap. It really cuts the wind wanting to find its way into the building.  i read about it somewhere and a buddy of mine tried it and has been thanking me ever since.. Also use rat guard at the base of the building to keep critters and wind from coming in at the bottom of the siding.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
43 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Okay youngster...will see how you feel about hand shoveling in a few years:P

With any luck I'll still have a BBT around and she'll do it anyway. 😂

• Excellent 1