ebinmaine

New Pole Barn shop/garage/dojo building!!

Horse Newbie

image.png.9f007f0c0de70d56dc7cdeddfe46328e.pngI would like to have a Craftsman tool box like the mid box. I have put off getting one, and now you can’t find them…

• Like 3

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Craftsman tool box like the mid box

I've had that maybe 12 - 15 years. Got it used back then. 

Local sales website purchase like CL or we have a small one called Uncle Henry's. 

Yard sales and flea markets are the hunting grounds for those. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

We're enclosing the back half on the near side and the whole thing on the far side. Better for weather protection and security.  

Yesterday Trina started by laying in the two 1 x 10 vinyl boards at the bottom.  We used those so they can't rot. 

Then today Trina and her Momma put up the 1 x 10 wood boards. 

They're spaced ½, ¾ between the wooden boards and overlapping so the water runs down.  This'll help air flow to help the firewood dry/cure/season. 

We like the color and texture contrast of the smooth side out horizontal boards in comparison to the green vertical side boards.  

Likely she'll put some sort of clear on.  

IMG_20231028_151144.jpg

IMG_20231028_151138.jpg

• Like 6

Handy Don

Looks terrific, but I always have critters in my wood piles (snakes, ants, bees, squirrels, chipmunks--it varies) so I keep the piles separate from my building structures.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 4

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Looks terrific, but I always have critters in my wood piles (snakes, ants, bees, squirrels, chipmunks--it varies) so I keep the piles separate from my building structures.

Understandable. Doesn't bother us much but we have a "program" for critter reduction in place pretty much year round. 

Water buckets and flying lead for the rodents.   Poison for the ants. Brake clean for the wasps etc. 

TBH I'd like MORE snakes, woodpile or anywhere.  

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Couple more views of the closed in area.  

IMG_20231028_180002.jpg.1b92deab99e9dd870798e2d2ee23b6e2.jpg

IMG_20231028_180528.jpg.5ed750ed0564c9900730784a241757ef.jpg

And .....

WE HAVE TUNES!!!

IMG_20231028_180016.jpg.6f0e133cf21c44689dc54b2f8d80d31d.jpg

IMG_20231028_180023.jpg.96b2724726cbfa9f994aeab1db81e25f.jpg

I got the big stereo moved up from the old workshop shed.  VERY powerful vintage unit.  Those speakers are about 3 feet tall and maybe 18 inches wide.  

I gave it a good testing with some Johnny Cash & Willie Nelson.   

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

We're enclosing the back half on the near side and the whole thing on the far side. Better for weather protection and security.  

Yesterday Trina started by laying in the two 1 x 10 vinyl boards at the bottom.  We used those so they can't rot. 

Then today Trina and her Momma put up the 1 x 10 wood boards. 

They're spaced ½, ¾ between the wooden boards and overlapping so the water runs down.  This'll help air flow to help the firewood dry/cure/season. 

We like the color and texture contrast of the smooth side out horizontal boards in comparison to the green vertical side boards.  

Likely she'll put some sort of clear on.  

image.png.21e02fe917ff24599b6ef629b2b290e2.png

I have a triple header like yours on my firewood/trailer storage lean to.  I just wrapped the ends because the end grain was sucking up water and starting rot, you might want to cap the header and siding ends.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, lynnmor said:

I have a triple header like yours on my firewood/trailer storage lean to.  I just wrapped the ends because the end grain was sucking up water and starting rot, you might want to cap the header and siding ends.

That's good advice from your experience Lynn. Thanks. 

I shared that with Trina. Her response:

Heh. Good idea.  I'll get right on it.  

• Like 3

rjg854

Keep soaking the ends with Linseed Oil, until it won't take any more, they won't rot.  My 28' wood extension ladder was treated, like that 40 years ago, still like brand new.  Unless you have other plans for painting or whatever.

• Like 4

wallfish
16 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

And .....

WE HAVE TUNES!!

Ummm, if the power tools are running you won't need the tunes! Stop dancing around in there like Fred Astaire and get some work done on Colosus!!! :ychain:

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

Ummm, if the power tools are running you won't need the tunes! Stop dancing around in there like Fred Astaire and get some work done on Colosus!!! :ychain:

I can assure you I DON'T dance like Fred Astaire.   

• Haha 3

wallfish
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I can assure you I DON'T dance like Fred Astaire.   

Never mind, Found you guys on youtube! LOL

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine

@wallfish

Yeah buddy that's it. 

Definitely.  

• Haha 1

ebinmaine

We've ordered a concrete floor for under the left side Barn shed roof. 10 ft by 40 ft. Four inch thick. To be installed sometime in april.That will be our new workshop. All four walls will be closed in. Small door in the back. Full 10' wide door in the front. Lightly insulated. Heat and ac. Wood stove in the far back.

• Like 5

19richie66
57 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

We've ordered a concrete floor for under the left side Barn shed roof. 10 ft by 40 ft. Four inch thick. To be installed sometime in april.That will be our new workshop. All four walls will be closed in. Small door in the back. Full 10' wide door in the front. Lightly insulated. Heat and ac. Wood stove in the far back.

Great space addition to an already sweet building

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck

@ebinmaine  your 'we have tunes' comment brought back a memory from my first apartment. I was living in a garden level apartment and some college kids were living in the 3rd.floor unit above me.  Was one of the first really warm days of spring, so I had my windows open.  The college kids decided to lay a blanket out in the yard and catch some sun.  Along with that came speakers out on their balcony and tunes.

Wellll, I put up with that for a little while, then decided I needed to play my tunes in my apartment.  My stereo at the time was something like 120 watts per channel.  I picked a Glenn Miller and his Army Air Force Band out of my l.p. collection and played it loud enough to drown out the kid's music.

When I went to flip the record, I noticed the kids had picked up and gone inside.  They must have learned something 'cause they never did that again.  Never did have to get the 'big guns' out - Scottish Black Guard Pipe and Drum Corps.

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
23 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Great space addition to an already sweet building

We planned on closing in that end since before the building was completed.

We've been doing our best to make slow carefully considered decisions on where everything goes as we Lay out all our tools versus storage of vehicles and other things.

We aren't changing the amount of space we intended to ever have but we are certainly moving towards a better and more efficient utilization of that available space.

We were originally going to have the workshop in the back half of the garage. Covered storage under that outside shed roof.

Moving the Workshop to the outside space makes it so we can stay well within fire code for using a wood burning stove and also greatly reduces the cubic footage that we would need to heat in both width and height.

• Like 4

Handy Don
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Moving the Workshop to the outside space makes it so we can stay well within fire code for using a wood burning stove and also greatly reduces the cubic footage that we would need to heat in both width and height.

Also makes insulating a much less daunting project. Good thinking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

Also makes insulating a much less daunting project. Good thinking.

For the record... this was Trina's idea to move the Workshop.  

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

CCW

Eric - Just a great thread.  Spent an enjoyable hour browsing and reading.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
49 minutes ago, CCW said:

Eric - Just a great thread.  Spent an enjoyable hour browsing and reading.  

Well thank you! 

Stop on up for an in person tour!

• Like 1

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat:  We will plan on stopping by, if/when we get into that area.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

CCW

It would be an interesting ride.  Currently all my driving goes to Texas and soon to Fort Moore (previously Fort Benning) in Georgia.

Edited by CCW
  • Like 2

JPWH
1 hour ago, CCW said:

Fort Moore (previously Fort Benning) in Georgia.

I'm only about an hour from Fort Moore. Reach out if you need anything while you are in the area.

Jay

• Thanks 2