S416-8

Toughest Wheel Horse ?

8ntruck

How about a Super C?

20220513_180905.jpg

This one is still under rehabilitation, so I haven't put it to really hard work yet.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

Blasterdad
6 hours ago, c-series don said:

I like the simplicity of the C-series, they don’t have all that complicated wiring of the 3,4,and 500 series tractors.  

Couldn't have said it better, most implements & parts interchange or can be easily made to do so...

My herd is currently...

4) C-81 8 speeds  (my favorite)

2) C-160 Automatics

1) C-120 Automatic

1) C-161 Automatic

1) No name 12 Automatic (1973)

& their ol' cousin the Speedex. 

• Like 4

S416-8

I like the bog wheels.. the guy I got the grader from has a 1045 for sale with a plow. It is not running but said he'll get it going and was selling it for 400.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, S416-8 said:

Desirable model there. 

Big block. Short frame. Square hood. Separate rear fenders.  

Bigtrx34

C160 in my book as well. Never let me down.  Dug my 65x45x4.5 foot pond in the back and never batted an eye. Only thing I could hope for is a bigger gas tank!!

0618221752.jpg

0604221357b~2.jpg

Edited by Bigtrx34
  • Excellent 4

Thor27

I think you'll have a hard time finding a tougher horse than  @Skipper's super C

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

kpinnc

I have several models, but I have to day my 310-8 is the toughest I have.

Let me explain: it's carried decks sized 36-48, and been used as a bush hog in a couple cases. It's pulled moldboard plows, pushed dozer blades, and many times carried my tiller. It's cultivated, sprayed driveways and spread gravel. It's drug logs, and pulled a truck once. 

Point being: it may only have 10hp, but it has never shied away from work and never let me down. It does everything that has ever been asked of it, and comes back for more without complaint.

I have several more powerful tractors, but none work like my trusty 310-8. I've rarely named any of my tractors, but if I did, the 310 would be "old faithful". 

DSC00686.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

cschannuth
On 6/17/2022 at 8:27 PM, S416-8 said:

black hoods, seen pics of those but didn't think they were real :D  Saw a couple of them for sale as I dig around... 

I’m partial to the black hoods too because I have one that was my dad’s but any of the long frame, big engine machines are very stout and all are very similar in design. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

S416-8

now that is cool...
I am just starting off with my Wheel Horse 520 and have yet no clue what is can do. When I started my little tractor search my main goal was to find something that can mainly be used to do ground contact stuff: leveling some land, moving tree trunks that I am cutting down etc... My cousin has a green thing, 425 I think, so was pushing green but always thought that they charged so much for the paint and that there were better stuff out there.... so now I have my 520 and it is great BUT how tough is it ???? 

• Like 2

S416-8

so cool.. I just ordered the ag tires and should have them on by the end of the week. In time would love to add the loader to it or find one with it on already. See a couple for the 3-4k range.. the black hood looks awesome as well

• Like 2

Lee1977

I have a 1977 C-120/180-8 with a 2010 Briggs Vanguard, 520-H and a raised 312-8 with a 1" axle they are all tough.  For the ease of equipment changes, and solid stability on hillsides way beyond 15 degrees, and  fewer sheet metal problems that come with the later Wheel Horses it's my C-120 that's the toughest. I've modified a couple thing to make it tougher ever bearing and bushing has been changed with the exception of the ones on the steering shafts. Bushing added to areas that original had none. It's been in used 45 years from the middle of February mowing until  the middle of December picking up leaves.  It is still doing more then half the mowing.

SAM-1223.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

D_Mac

I think all the kohler powered Wheel Horses can hold their own when push comes to shove. I have had C series but never owned a 520. The meanest baddest one that I have owned was the 416-8. Powerful and stable machine and I felt very comfortable behind the wheel.

20210314_232454.jpg

20210314_232444.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, S416-8 said:

my Wheel Horse 520

Will most likely do everything you need it to do.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

kpinnc

I would say this: Your 520-H should do anything you ask that you're willing to ask with your backside in the seat. :P

The only thing I don't do with my hydros is pull crazy weight with them. Will they pull as much as a gear drive? Absolutely, but I don't have enough spares to risk breaking one. I save the really heavy pulling for the gear drives. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

earlleecliffton
8 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

I have a 1977 C-120/180-8 with a 2010 Briggs Vanguard, 520-H and a raised 312-8 with a 1" axle they are all tough.  For the ease of equipment changes, and solid stability on hillsides way beyond 15 degrees, and  fewer sheet metal problems that come with the later Wheel Horses it's my C-120 that's the toughest. I've modified a couple thing to make it tougher ever bearing and bushing has been changed with the exception of the ones on the steering shafts. Bushing added to areas that original had none. It's been in used 45 years from the middle of February mowing until  the middle of December picking up leaves.  It is still doing more then half the mowing.

SAM-1223.jpg

i like that tractor

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

S416-8

really cool stuff. So have my ag tires on the way and should have them on by the weekend. Then it comes to just working with it before winter..

• Like 2

953 nut

Much like @Pullstart I am partial to the Big Wheel models. The GT-14 won't win any maneuverability contest but I must say that without a doubt it is the TOUGHEST member of my herd.

1148786600_102_3369(3).JPG.185f52732c020f410b0e97209e38e86b.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

S416-8

I like idea of having a small machine like and have the feel that I can take down a mountain. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

S416-8

So after going through all the replies I think me second one is going to be a big wheel. I love the look. Remind me of a shrunken version of my grandfathers farm tractor. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
35 minutes ago, S416-8 said:

a big wheel. I love the look.  

Agreed. Models like the 953, 1054, gt14, c195, and some other brands were what made me start building the Colossus project.

That has 30-in rears and 22-in front tires. 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

Colossus project.

:confusion-confused:

:techie-hourglass:

:coffee:

:occasion-clown:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
Just now, SylvanLakeWH said:

:confusion-confused:

:techie-hourglass:

:coffee:

:occasion-clown:

Patience my friend. Patience. If all goes well we're going to have a nice big new clean shop to work in this winter.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

rjg854

And another year rolls on by :confusion-shrug:

• Haha 2