formariz

Sharpening/ honing stones

JoeM

@formariz if you have not or not working on one, you really need to write a book.

tons of good info.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff-C175

Now I need to find that box with the stones and see what I've got !  Thanks Cas !

SylvanLakeWH

Thanks for the info!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

How about a short video on how to correctly sharpen a good old pocket knife? Lots of different techniques out there. I’d be interested to hear yours…

formariz
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Thanks for the info!!! :handgestures-thumbupright:

How about a short video on how to correctly sharpen a good old pocket knife? Lots of different techniques out there. I’d be interested to hear yours…

Sure .Finishing off the next section of this one which is using and maintaining stones . Then it will be the actual sharpening in which i will  include a variety of tools knifes included. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff-C175

Cas, is this some sort of strop?  It's about 16" long.  Down by where the handle goes it's labeled "Hirsch".  That's the only marking I could find.

image.png.a885c84e3b1ce7b974d7ddba6084b52e.png     image.png.2d15b18473b8c0a1b8fcae44cf7248c2.png   

Then there's this stone with a handle, about 6" long tip to tip... no markings found.  Where and how used?

image.png.fc3436f74a8fe35e74d4997650484058.png

formariz
2 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Cas, is this some sort of strop?  It's about 16" long.  Down by where the handle goes it's labeled "Hirsch".  That's the only marking I could find.

image.png.a885c84e3b1ce7b974d7ddba6084b52e.png     image.png.2d15b18473b8c0a1b8fcae44cf7248c2.png   

Then there's this stone with a handle, about 6" long tip to tip... no markings found.  Where and how used?

image.png.fc3436f74a8fe35e74d4997650484058.png

Both are Butcher’s tools. First one is a Butcher’s Steel. Used to hone knives. There is a specific skill associated with using it . A sight to admire when done by a professional. The other one is a butchers sharpening stone. 
 Butchers constantly touch up their knives as they work without going to another area to sharpen them. These tools allow that right where they work.

Edited by formariz
  • Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, formariz said:

Butcher’s tools

That's interesting because to my knowledge none of the forebears ever butchered anything... well, except for the FIL (God Rest his Soul).  That man could butcher laying a block wall, and I look at the proof every day!  :text-lol:

Any guesses as to the age of these?

Edited by Jeff-C175

formariz
5 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Any guesses as to the age of these?

The handled stone is from the 50s. The Steel cannot really tell since it is missing handle. It is a German brand of high quality.

• Thanks 1