Dan.gerous

New Workshop & House tidy up

Dan.gerous

It's been a while, but we have completed a few projects since last posting on here.

It was all hands on deck to get the workshop built before winter - weather was against us but we managed to get the concrete done and the structure up just in time.

I needed it built ASAP as got challenged to a Christmas project at work - to build a boat out of 1 sheet of plywood and race it on Xmas day! Will post about that in due course...

The workshop is up, but it's not a pretty building - however it's an important one.

Pictures as always, first one is the completed pad. I just had a weather window the day before heading back to work to get it laid.

20221003_110535.jpg

• Like 5

Dan.gerous

Walls went up fast, it's heavy work but the progress is pleasing.

The roof was no good so I had to buy tin and adapt it to suit. The original fibre cement bolted to the steel trusses but I added wooden purlins to take the tin.

20221021_152412.jpg

20221026_163243.jpg

20221029_103816.jpg

• Like 7

Dan.gerous

All the interior workbenches were free, a mixture of a kitchen picked up in Glasgow and wood sourced from a skip near work along with anything else I had laying about. 

There is an endless supply of 2x3 timber used to transport drill pipes then dumped in a skip near where I park the car.

20221029_154655.jpg

20221029_142431.jpg

20221029_142718.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

Stormin

Good size, Dan. Kencast at a guess. When I was 18 a few years back, :rolleyes:, my parents bought a new bungalow. My father and I built a Kencast garage.

BTW. My bungalow is also a Kencast build. 

• Like 1

Dan.gerous
2 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Good size, Dan. Kencast at a guess. When I was 18 a few years back, :rolleyes:, my parents bought a new bungalow. My father and I built a Kencast garage.

BTW. My bungalow is also a Kencast build. 

Oh, I'm not sure of the make - will see if it's in the concrete anywhere.

Apologies for not giving you a call, it all happened so fast!

Stormin

I don't think you'll find anything in the concrete. And no need to apologise. Makes my back ache just looking at it. :D

Edited by Stormin
  • Haha 2

EB-80/8inPA

Nice stout structure - the translucent panels really brighten the space up, too.  It’s good to see you back and posting, btw, I was starting to wonder if you fell overboard crossing the channel or something!

• Haha 4

Dan.gerous
7 hours ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

Nice stout structure - the translucent panels really brighten the space up, too.  It’s good to see you back and posting, btw, I was starting to wonder if you fell overboard crossing the channel or something!

It's just been a hectic few months trying to get on top of everything  - just had no enthusiasm for computers, when bed was calling.

Still bouncing back and forth in the same job - boring, but it pays the bills.

Have a wheelhorse in bits in the shed at the moment,  along with a few other projects.

Dan.gerous

They were throwing this in the skip the other day at work. All her original searchlights have been replaced with tiny modern units.

I thought it would make a great coffee table, remove the base and sit it in a nice wooden cradle of some sort. I also have the control panel from the console so will incorporate that into the design.

It's a "next winter" projects still have another shed, porch and patio area to build.

20221019_163717.jpg

20220910_053723.jpg

20220910_053735.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Wow Dan, where have I been the last year or so?  Great efforts there!

• Like 2

Dan.gerous
26 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Wow Dan, where have I been the last year or so?  Great efforts there!

I think it's only been a few months, just got snowed under with too many things going on at once as winter closed in.

Back to a bit more free time and catching up Red Square comings & goings.

Even got a wheelhorse running today. Would turn over but no spark unless starter motor  was stopped. Anyway, pulled hair out then replaced all the wires with new ones and it started up perfectly. Runs better than it ever did!

• Like 2

Handy Don
5 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

It's a "next winter" projects 

20221019_163717.jpg

Many of us here have a similar heartsick feeling when we see something like this being discarded. I’ve had to harden my heart and drive on past some very tempting things lately.

Also, I never gave much thought to how searchlights were controlled on big vessels so this image of the controls alone was informative--thanks! I’d be trying to think of a use that preserves the motion control!

• Excellent 1

Dan.gerous
1 minute ago, Handy Don said:

Many of us here have a similar heartsick feeling when we see something like this being discarded. I’ve had to harden my heart and drive on past some very tempting things lately.

Also, I never gave much thought to how searchlights were controlled on big vessels so this image of the controls alone was informative--thanks! I’d be trying to think of a use that preserves the motion control!

I did consider using it as a letterbox!

Initially I just had the  controls and was going to put them in a picture frame - but then everything  became available, who could resist?

The only problem with it still articulating would be space, but it's certainly possible. I guess I could make a scale model that was motorised and used the controls....

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Make one heck of a porch light... :scared-eek:

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

Dan.gerous
1 hour ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Make one heck of a porch light... :scared-eek:

Could roast a marshmallow under it!

• Like 2

Dan.gerous

Next phase, picked up another conservatory  - I think this is the third one! Sold the other two and have settled on this one to add at the back of the house.

Away to work again, but will hopefully get the foundations done next time home.

Had no time to get near the wheelhorse,  so the 416-8 is still in bits while I get around to sorting it's electrical gremlins.

20230216_160603.jpg

20230216_160612.jpg

Screenshot_20230212-123115_Facebook.jpg

Screenshot_20230212-123129_Facebook.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous

Finally  got the concrete pad down for the conservatory.

It rained as soon as we finished, so had to go back out and try to fix the surface. Then the neighbours dog walked through it, so I fixed that. Then one of the cats walked through it, so I fixed that....

Back at sea again for two weeks, building conservatory will be first job when I get home.

20230416_101107.jpg

20230416_101753.jpg

20230415_135902.jpg

• Like 4