dmoore

854 Restoration

Pullstart
On 8/2/2022 at 8:42 PM, wallfish said:

I thought they stopped using shower head mufflers way before 64

Any of those pepper pot mufflers (spark arrestor) will look right. If you can deal with the tone and loudness of those things.

Are shower heads any quieter?

ri702bill
5 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Are shower heads any quieter?

I have one and took it off and put it away - Being a very short can and somewhat of a straight thru design, it gives off a rather annoying pop-pop-pop sound. Not mellow at all. I see the reason they did not last long in use - no baffle inside behind the dome - the exhaust flame cooks the front till it glows!! BUT - if you want a 100 point restoration, you need one... NOS ones are priced right up there with gold!!

I use the pepper pot on the 7HP Kohlers and 5 HP Tecumseh, I use the larger coffee can style on the 8 HP

• Like 1

Pullstart
27 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

I have one and took it off and put it away - Being a very short can and somewhat of a straight thru design, it gives off a rather annoying pop-pop-pop sound. Not mellow at all. I see the reason they did not last long in use - no baffle inside behind the dome - the exhaust flame cooks the front till it glows!! BUT - if you want a 100 point restoration, you need one... NOS ones are priced right up there with gold!!

I use the pepper pot on the 7HP Kohlers and 5 HP Tecumseh, I use the larger coffee can style on the 8 HP

Well then last year, I bought a shower head and got a free RJ59 semi complete resto project and a handful of little Kohlers for free!:banana-linedance:

ri702bill
On 8/5/2022 at 8:40 AM, Pullstart said:

a handful of little Kohlers for free!

A litter of Wittle baby Kohlers - how cute!!! They make Great stocking stuffers!! Please post how much "fun" it is to work a "Nut Roaster" when it is done..

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dmoore
On 8/5/2022 at 8:12 AM, ri702bill said:

So do you know of an an NOS piece??? 

ri702bill
13 hours ago, dmoore said:

So do you know of an an NOS piece??? 

Not at this time - P/N 234015 is NLA, discontinued a long way back ... Picture below for reference.

140.jpg

• Like 1

dmoore

Maybe one will pop up...you never know. Thanks!

dmoore
On 8/5/2022 at 8:12 AM, ri702bill said:

Bill who would you recommend to buy one from? 

ri702bill

They show up time to time in the classifieds here - you may wish to post in thw Wanted Classifieds here that you are looking for a 1" version (there was a 3/4" version for the RJ's).

Or, check with the folks in our Vendor section... It will be hard to find a usuable one and it will NOT be inexpensive.....

• Like 1

dmoore

Gotcha. So who sells a close enough substitute that last a decent amount of time without burning out?

dmoore

20220815_204331.jpg.063764f4e07d0dfe2cffced1eaf8dc18.jpgI haven't had much time lately to finish up this 854 so tonight I snuck out to the garage and installed the key switch and all associated wiring. Then moved on to the steering shaft, bushing & wheel followed by choke & throttle cables. 

20220815_204423.jpg

20220815_204435.jpg

• Excellent 5

dmoore

20220815_214451.jpg.240997fe1e37716dc48583d5390dd90d.jpgI had bead blasted the hood over the weekend and started on smoothing it out some. Test fit it tonight. Little more work to do. Question, should the grill be in contact with the air cleaner housing? 

20220815_214529.jpg

20220815_221753.jpg

Edited by dmoore
  • Like 1

ineedanother

I've been watching your resto and it looks great. Motivational in fact. To answer your question...no. Others will likely chime in with NOE recommendations but air cleaner housings from what I have here are either 2" or 3" in depth. Yours looks to be 3" and a 2" should be stock with that hood and power plant.

• Like 1

dmoore

And since I have convinced myself I will not find an original shower head muffler I ordered this genuine Kohler muffler off Ebay.  At least it's made here.  

wheel horse muffler.jpg

• Like 2

dmoore
2 minutes ago, ineedanother said:

I've been watching your resto and it looks great. Motivational in fact. To answer your question...no. Others will likely chime in with NOE recommendations but air cleaner housings from what I have here are either 2" or 3" in depth. Yours looks to be 3" and a 2" should be stock with that hood and power plant.

That's what I need to know. I thought as much. Thank you.

• Like 1

Handy Don
12 hours ago, ineedanother said:

Tanswer your question...no. Others will likely chime in with NOE recommendations but air cleaner housings from what I have here are either 2" or 3" in depth. Yours looks to be 3" and a 2" should be stock with that hood and power plant.

@dmoore

Correct that the air cleaner housing should not contact the hood--but it will be mighty close!

However, the 3" is correct for the 854 (the 2" can be fitted but will noticeably restrict airflow to the engine). 

To accommodate the extra length, 854's had a unique hood that is 1" longer than its sibling 500's and 700's. It measures 16" from the edge of the cut in front of the fuel tank to the seam. If yours is less than that, you don't have a 854 hood.

You needn't ask how I (frustratingly) learned this.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

dmoore

I thought that was the right air cleaner every other 854 I've seen has had the same one. Interesting tidbit on the 854 Hood only I will measure that.

dmoore

Mine is 2.5"

20220816_131817.jpg

Handy Don
4 hours ago, dmoore said:

Mine is 2.5"

20220816_131817.jpg

Yours is correct. 3" is when measured from the face of the carburetor.

This is an 854 hood in prep for painting.

image.png.78d43b738f207c554426c3ba95ec786d.png

• Like 1

dmoore

I thought so. Thanks. I will take that measurement on mine. 

dmoore

So tell me guy's, who makes a close match to the original chrome gas cap? 

953 nut
17 minutes ago, dmoore said:

So tell me guy's, who makes a close match to the original chrome gas cap? 

@Pullstart had a thread a while back where he found a chrome aftermarket gas cap for a C-10 Chevy pickup that was a great replacement, it is vented too I think.

Pullstart

I did have to modify the vent a little, just to make it work more freely.

dmoore

Thanks! I had a 21,000 mile 69 C20 truck in the shop a few weeks ago. I got looking at the s/s fuel cap and wondering if it would fit. It did.  I just wasn't sure about the vent setup. 

dmoore

Bad vid

Edited by dmoore