John2189

Impulse fuel pump

John2189

I think the fuel pump is going bad on my 20 hp Kohler. It is the aluminum square one. All I can find is the round plastic ones. Will it work?

john

953 nut
7 hours ago, John2189 said:

All I can find is the round plastic ones. Will it work?

Yes if it is for the 20 HP Kohler, the arm on the twins is not the same as the single cylinder units. In my opinion the mechanical pumps and vacuum impulse pumps are prone to have diaphragm leaks which will end up dumping gas into the engine oil which could ruin the engine.

Many of us have been switching over to the low pressure electric fuel pumps rather than mechanical units. Mount it lower than the tank and connect the electrical lead to a key operated source like the hour meter.

• Like 2

gwest_ca
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Many of us have been switching over to the low pressure electric fuel pumps rather than mechanical units. Mount it lower than the tank and connect the electrical lead to a key operated source like the hour meter.

Make sure to connect to the hour meter (+) as some models control the hour meter (-) by the oil pressure switch.

With no oil pressure both (+) (-) sides of the hour meter may have power.

With oil pressure only the (+) side of the hour meter should have power.

• Like 2

drewd
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

Yes if it is for the 20 HP Kohler, the arm on the twins is not the same as the single cylinder units. In my opinion the mechanical pumps and vacuum impulse pumps are prone to have diaphragm leaks which will end up dumping gas into the engine oil which could ruin the engine.

I was thinking of converting to electric fuel pump on my single cylinder kohler and noticed this thread.  Can you recommend a brand and source for these?  Thanks, Drewd

John2189

Thanks im asking about the three line vacuum pump. 

peter lena

@drewd been using this for years now , mounted mine in front of frame area , also  installed evil energy 5/16 fuel check valve , vertically just before carb , for a holding fuel charge , no problems , cannot hear it , pete 

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

drewd

Thank you Pete!

• Thanks 1

peter lena

@drewd  glad to help ,  don't be afraid to make a change for the better , often think up another routing or run of lines / wires to improve things . all of my engines are 12  horse kohler , so I just find a proven fix and apply it to the other 2 . while you are in the area ,( my thinking ) , add a ground strap / cable , from your battery ground cable bolt , next to battery ,to rear engine corner to frame , next to clutch pedal , use serrated washers for metal bite , dielectric grease , electrical lug  as a bolt point . that will enhance , electrical rectifier mount to engine tins , helps charging rate , also add that connection to your headlights , separate wire , bright lights . rarely miss up on opportunity in related areas for improvement , BTW  I live 7 miles from  GROTON CT , SUBMARINE BASE . stay it it , pete

Edited by peter lena

drewd
6 hours ago, peter lena said:

@drewd  glad to help ,  don't be afraid to make a change for the better , often think up another routing or run of lines / wires to improve things . all of my engines are 12  horse kohler , so I just find a proven fix and apply it to the other 2 . while you are in the area ,( my thinking ) , add a ground strap / cable , from your battery ground cable bolt , next to battery ,to rear engine corner to frame , next to clutch pedal , use serrated washers for metal bite , dielectric grease , electrical lug  as a bolt point . that will enhance , electrical rectifier mount to engine tins , helps charging rate , also add that connection to your headlights , separate wire , bright lights . rarely miss up on opportunity in related areas for improvement , BTW  I live 7 miles from  GROTON CT , SUBMARINE BASE . stay it it , pete

Great tips!  I'll definitely check into these when I work on the electrical.  Years ago I traveled CT for a company in Brandford, CT and drove by that base several times.  Very cool.  Also toured the sub they have open to the public.  Thanks again!

• Like 1

Bill D

I made a mounting plate and mounted an impulse pump.  Works great.  Use OEM Briggs or Kawasaki pumps, not cheap knock offs.  Less risk of failure and gas in the crankcase.  Pump in the pic is a Kawasaki.

KIMG0868.JPG

KIMG1452.JPG

• Like 2