Mike C160

K341 Exhaust Nipple Removal

Mike C160

So, I have to remove this 1 inch nipple. Its too short. I have a early muffler in good condition i wish to install but this nipple is about 1/2 inch too short. The muffler wants to almost touch the points cover. Just too close.

So does any one have a tip or two for removal? The sad part is i have no torches to heat it up with.

Can this come out without heat?

Cheers and thanks. 

No description available.

• Like 1

adsm08

Try to tighten it a bit before attempting to remove. Last time I had the exhaust nipple out of my 855 I literally lifted the front wheels of the tractor off the ground by the pipe wrench trying to take it loose. Tightened it 1/4 turn and then it backed right out.

• Like 4

WHX??

I would cut the nipple from the inside down towards the threads of the block. Avoid going too far and not hitting the threads in the motor. Then collapse the nipple in on it self.

Be careful if you use BF pipe wrenches... be real easy to squish that short a  nipple making things worse. 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

I would cut the nipple from the inside down towards the threads of the block. Avoid going too far and not hitting the threads in the motor. Then collapse the nipple in on it self.

Be careful if you use BF pipe wrenches... be real easy to squish that short a  nipple making things worse. 

Cutting it in 2-3 places and crushing it is the way to go

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

JoeM

I used a hacksaw blade by hand, takes a little time but works out.

SawBladeCut1.jpg.0a754a0681d55bf55388e63ef6f42fbd.jpg

RemovingWithChiesel1.jpg.abf63a333cd7b2b46546571d806561fd.jpg

RemovingWithChiesel2.jpg.7260e2b1918a1890c26f973d0e580867.jpgTaping1.jpg.c2294926098918ef8af84094a1e1993f.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, WHX?? said:

2 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Cutting it in 2-3 places and crushing it is the way to go

Yepp. 

I do similar to the above pics but use a jig saw with a vacuum cleaner to remove any metal filings. 

Normally I'll cut the top. Use a fair sized punch to crush the pipe in on itself. Sometimes have to grab the leftovers with a vice grip and give em a healthy twist. 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

wallfish
8 hours ago, Mike C160 said:

The sad part is i have no torches to heat it up with

Run the engine to heat it up and try backing it out. If that doesn't work then go the cut and fold route

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

squonk

This nipple didn't look bad but a new elbow wouldn't start on it and it was marked up. Glad I changed it as it wasn't in very far and I found evidence a nipple had been cut out before. Just did this Saturday

Stick a paper towel into the port. Leave the nipple long enough for a pipe wrench. Cut 2 slots just about through. Vacuum frequently. Pipe wrench will collapse nipple and it will either turn out or fall out. After removing paper towel. Vacuum out the hole. Then I used some large swabs with garb and brake cleaner to clean out the port.

n1.jpg.af311d44e5a36112800abfcbaba277a1.jpg

n3.jpg.2154f9830fcbd90a90db74a65a291169.jpg

n2.jpg.e632acd6dfca03f53fc70671eb02fcfa.jpg

n4.jpg.ab226775acf0e275fa12293549a41cbb.jpg

n5.jpg.e29f44205ab81f033b1c9b0e6efa6e81.jpg

n6.jpg.f9e3fc2b08169a26f5cb328aae4d0095.jpg

IMG_20220524_110650731.jpg.6489dc54851721aae0d9613109b59669.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 8

stevasaurus

If you are not comfortable hacksawing a groove in the nipple, you do not have to.  You can just cut the nipple off short (leave 1/4") and use a cold chisel and ball peen hammer to collapse the threads.  Once you get it started, it will loosen and you can turn it out.  :occasion-xmas:  Here is the proof.

DSCF8589.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
8 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

If you are no comfortable hacksawing groove in the nipple, you do not have to.

My thoughts exactly. Many people probably wouldn't be comfortable doing that... perhaps... for good reason. :eusa-think:

Do what Steve says @Mike C160!!! :banana-dance:

Don

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Buy 2 new nipples and use one to chase the threads in the head.  Turn in a little and back out, use a light oil for cleaning.  A lot cheaper then buying a pipe tap.  :USA:

• Like 6

squonk

A good dose of carb cleaner and then letting it soak a bit does wonders to loosen up the exhaust carbuncles in the threads.

• Like 6

WHX??
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

Buy 2 new nipples and use one to chase the threads in the head. 

:text-yeahthat:Better keep the hacksaw out and cut some kerfs in the other nipple.for thread chasing. Poor man's pipe tap. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mike C160

Wow,

Lots of great responses. 

Back in the day some 30 year ago when i was a small engines tech in a rental company I remember we used to cut the sausage type exhaust off 5 horse briggs then use an air chisel to "cave in" the nipple in the block. Took only a few minutes.

I can see similar logic applies here.

Thanks for the tips. I didnt know if this was going to be and easy job or an ordeal :)

Cheers and Thanks.

I will report back later.

• Like 5

stevasaurus

You are correct...only takes a couple of minutes.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

WHX??

Yes let us know how it pans out. Obviously this PO did it but no ill  effects on the block. I chased it with Dino's method before I procured taps and all was good. 

Might have to add this procedure to @953 nut s rites of passages. 

20150827_173520.jpg

• Like 1

Moparfanforever

I use a medium size pipe wrench and a four foot long piece of pipe. 

Worked every time so far. 

• Like 1

squonk

For x-tra strength I like to use thicker wall schedule 80 black iron shoulder nipples. Here it is compared to a std nipple. 

IMG_20220526_154822057_HDR.jpg.360a3b6566e06c037d14ba289ac369dd.jpg

• Like 2

Mike C160

Well,

I finally got up the steam to get this one done. It was one of those jobs you walk a circle around of about 20 feet for a while as it seems like it was going to be an "ordeal"

I am happy to say the cut and cave method worked great. I cut it open up to the block adapter then only a small slice in the hole. I didnt get into the threads of the block adapter. However the nipple was so brittle from age and heat, it collapsed without a fight at all and it pretty much fell right outta there. 

Its done. Phew. Wasnt the "ordeal" I thought it would be. No description available.No description available.No description available.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 4

WHX??

Excellent Mike... yes one of those jobs I woulda had to sit and look awhile. Replacement  looks A ok..:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2