Racinbob

Mechanical Fuel Pump

Racinbob

I've got a K-161 that I'm hoping to put a mechanical fuel pump on and finally put into service. The engine has always been gravity feed prior to me getting it. I can't use electric and I'd prefer to avoid vacuum. I have no clue what the spec# is. I know the small block pump levers have an offset unlike the big blocks and I have one coming. Will all the cams have the proper lobe to drive the pump? :eusa-think:

pfrederi

I believe so at least on the K181s.  You could remove the cover and look...

• Like 1

WHX??

:text-yeahthat:Look through the pump hole and you should see it. 

20200831_181351.jpg

• Like 2

Racinbob
15 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I believe so at least on the K181s.  You could remove the cover and look...

3 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

:text-yeahthat:Look through the pump hole and you should see it. 

I plan on working on it this morning and I'll pull the cover off. This is on the 500 Special I built and had sat untouched for about 3 years. Thanks guys. :)

squonk

K 161 and 181 use the same cams. Only differences is ACR and Spark advance mechanisms. They don't specify what pump needs to be used with either cam.  The 161 should have #A-230155 cam.

Lobe should be there.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1

WHX??

It should be offset Bob so yes you will need a offset arm pump. Vacuum one would work too 

• Like 1

Racinbob

There she be! Offset a little towards the flywheel. That was too easy for you guys. Next will be a problem with the recoil unit but that will come later. Thanks again!! :)

996371717_K161FuelPumpCamLobe.jpg.8c926832a0abcfb18f185a9be686df7e.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Was ther just a block off plate over it Bob and were all 500 specials with the tecky gravity fed? 

oliver2-44

@Racinbob I would appreciate if you would post a picture of the fuel pump showing the offset are.  Also if you or anyone happens to have one it would be nice to see the mechanical pump for the larger Kohlers to see the arm difference.

• Like 1

Racinbob
6 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Was ther just a block off plate over it Bob and were all 500 specials with the tecky gravity fed? 

Yes, it was just a blank plate. This Kohler started out on a pump at the mouse in Florida and had the tank mounted on top. That's fine for gravity feed but I've found that it's iffy for Wheel Horses. I had a fuel pump issue on my 854 and it would 'run out' of fuel at about 1/3rd tank. I put an electric on that one. I don't know if the Teckys had a fuel pump or not. :)

• Like 1

Racinbob
6 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

@Racinbob I would appreciate if you would post a picture of the fuel pump showing the offset are.  Also if you or anyone happens to have one it would be nice to see the mechanical pump for the larger Kohlers to see the arm difference.

Sure thing. It's supposed to be delivered today. I might have a pump for a big block out in the barn. I'll check. :)

WHX??

Where did you find it Bob? I woulda thought hen's teeth? 

The arm is flatter and has a sideways bend Ollie. Couple of my small blocks have them and some have vacuum pumps but the cam lobe is there. 

Got a pic somewhere in this mess. 

Racinbob

Ebay has them. Cheap Chinese but at < $15 I figured I give it a shot. I do still have the vacuum pump off the 854 as well as a rebuild kit but haven't rebuilt it yet.

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Found them ... not a huge fan of them plastic POS but what's a guy to do. Had some right out the box not work but some have. I suppose for 15 it's a shot in the dark. 

Here I thought you lucked out and found a metal one. :)

s-l200.jpg

Edited by WHX??

Racinbob
16 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Found them ... not a huge fan of them plastic POS but what's a guy to do. Had some right out the box not work but some have. I suppose for 15 it's a shot in the dark. 

Here I thought you lucked out and found a metal one. :)

55 minutes ago, oliver2-44 said:

I was looking for a genuine Kohler but just can't find one. I need to get this tractor going so I can mount the snowblade on it. I've got some pushing to do in the woods. I was using the 854 for that but I put the sickle bar on her. I've heard mixed reviews too on these plastic pumps but what the heck, they are cheap enough. The guy shipped the same day as well. 

1098101733_K181FuelPump.jpg.1a6c4b2990320895441c29f1df037d5a.jpg

A few months ago I picked up a couple of these vacuum pumps. I thought I'd put a fitting on blank plate and try them out. They even came with a fuel filter. Can't blame a guy for wanting to play. :D

Vacuum_Fuel_Pump.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
10 hours ago, Racinbob said:

was looking for a genuine Kohler but just can't find one...... I've heard mixed reviews too on these plastic pumps but what the heck, they are cheap enough. 

A few months ago I picked up a couple of these vacuum pumps. I thought I'd put a fitting on blank plate and try them out. They even came with a fuel filter. Can't blame a guy for wanting to play. :D

There isn't a great deal of force on the mechanical fuel pump lever. I suspect it'll work fine for a couple hundred hours and then the pivot will fail.

The key to the vacuum pumps is the size of the diaphragm. If it's too small, then it can't exert enough force to draw and push the fuel. The Kohler is about 1.5" in diameter and the one on my P218 Onan is a bit less. If yours are similar is size, I think it'll likely work just fine.

Edited by Handy Don

WHX??
10 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Can't blame a guy for wanting to play. :D

No sir!

pfrederi

Small Block......Big Block

IMG_0045.JPG

• Like 2

Handy Don
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Small Block......Big Block