ri702bill

HY-2 Drive Modification?

ri702bill

Has anyone added a device to the drive for a Hydraulic pump like a HY-2 shown that would disconnect it to remove that drag while starting? Something along the line of slaving off the deck PTO?? I plan on adding this to a 5 HP rope start 502.

Bill

P1010137.JPG

P1010138.JPG

peter lena

@ri702bill  good idea , have any related pictures or schematic  set up drawings  for idea options ?  curious , pete 

ri702bill

@peter lena Nothing down on paper yet, basically like the drive belt triangle - drive, driven and spring loaded moving idler to tension, with the idler ideally on the slack side...

It would be sweet to do this using mostly existing WH pieces from the "Parts Department" too... perhaps inside hidden behind the HY2 belt guard??

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1

Handy Don
45 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

@peter lena Nothing down on paper yet, basically like the drive belt triangle - drive, driven and spring loaded moving idler to tension, with the idler ideally on the slack side...

It would be sweet to do this using mostly existing WH pieces from the "Parts Department" too... perhaps inside hidden behind the HY2 belt guard??

My initial idea would be to consider adding a hinge/pivot at the bottom of the pump mounting. The S/G mount on the similar vintage electric start models, which permits adjusting tension, comes to mind.

The hoses to the lift cylinder can flex enough to handle a small movement (I'm thinking it'll take an inch or less of displacement to slacken the belt). A lever could activate a simple cam or arm to pivot and lock the pump in its "working" position. 

• Like 4

squonk
  • Like 1

WHX??

Is ther that much drag on it it that you would need to do this?  I could see it if the oil was super cold. My hy's are all e start so I don't know. 

• Like 4

Achto

I've been pondering on this post. I was thinking some type of spring loaded tension pulley with a break center handle.

• Like 3

ri702bill

@Achto Got a picture of an example??

Achto
11 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Got a picture of an example??

Only in my head, right now.:confusion-confused:

roadapples
4 hours ago, Achto said:

Only in my head, right now.:confusion-confused:

Could be a dark and lonely place...:ychain:

• Haha 7

adsm08
10 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Is ther that much drag on it it that you would need to do this?  I could see it if the oil was super cold. My hy's are all e start so I don't know. 

It's more than you might thing. I'm running synthetic ATF in mine, so not super thick even cold. The HY belt has made the difference between my starter belt slipping or turning the engine.

That was on a spark-retard cam K181, rather than an ACR cam. I have not had that happen since I put in a later engine with ACR.

Edited by adsm08
  • Like 1

squonk
9 hours ago, adsm08 said:

my starter belt slipping or turning the engine.

What kind of belt are you using on the generator? Rubber edged cogged belts work the best. Like a Napa 25-7320

WHX??

NAPA here says that's not a good PN Squonky but we know it is. You need to come straighten them out! Guess I ain't man enough :hide:

Both my 241s with non acr will not turn her over. 

Could you rig up a deck foot style clutch to work somehow Bill? Belt routing might get a little snaky but??

14 hours ago, roadapples said:

Boy has he got you pegged Dan. :lol:

• Haha 2

squonk

Roadie with the Burn! :hilarious:

24 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

NAPA here says that's not a good PN Squonky but we know it is. You need to come straighten them out! Guess I ain't man enough :hide:

Tell them there is a guy in NY that is way uglier than them who can run circles around them when it comes to parts! :lol: Store in town has 3 of them in stock. :eusa-snooty:

Edited by squonk
  • Haha 2

adsm08
5 hours ago, squonk said:

What kind of belt are you using on the generator? Rubber edged cogged belts work the best. Like a Napa 25-7320

I think the one on there now is a Dayco, but I replaced it when I put the engine in, since everything was already apart.

squonk
15 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

I think the one on there now is a Dayco, but I replaced it when I put the engine in, since everything was already apart.

Regular rubber or wrapped? 

8ntruck
18 hours ago, roadapples said:

Maybe even a dark and scary place! :ychain:

• Haha 2

adsm08
1 hour ago, squonk said:

Regular rubber or wrapped? 

Not a clue, it was put on in winter of 20 and it was the only one I could get at the time.