dmoore

1964 854

oliver2-44

Truly original, looks like it even came with the factory mouse nest. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

SylvanLakeWH

Nice! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

ri702bill

Excellent potential there! A couple of items before you try to start it. You may wish to remove the engine shroud to see if the mouse set up residence inside too. Judging by the debris in the sediment bowl, your fuel system most likely need a thorough cleaning first. 854 has a 2-piece gas tank and the gasket becomes a problem over time and will leak. Verify that it is not seized and that it has clean oil.  You might consider bypassing the entire fuel system if you want to see if it will run FOR JUST A FEW SECONDS remove the air cleaner and with the choke and throttle wide open, give a short blast of carb cleaner (some use starting fluid - not the best choice), partially close the choke and try to start it. 

@ebinmaine started a thread a while ago about a check list of what to do with a new to you horse to get it going - all good advise in it.

IF you do plan on putting gas in it, do it outside - too many chances of fuel leaks....

Bill

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

@ri702bill offers up some good advice especially on that fuel tank. We've never had one in our own stables. I've definitely heard plenty of stories about them.

Here's a link to the thread that bill is talking about.

There's a lot of information in there given by quite a few members.

Take a few minutes and peruse that then decide where to start on your own tractor. Use the printable list if you like.

I'll be looking forward to your progress on this one.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Retired Wrencher

You did very well. Great Canidate to clean up and mild refresh.

• Like 4

Pullstart

Awesome tractor and it has a nice hat!  :ROTF:  If that 2 piece tank leaks, I know some repair the gasket but I’d suggest a KBS tank sealer system.  Clean, etch, seal.  Then it’s virtually never an issue again.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

D_Mac

Thats a sweeeeeet tractor !! I would clean the fuel system, clean the points, put a new plug in it and I bet it fires up. As far as the rest, thats up to you. I like them a little greasy and sweaty looking. I would just clean the heck out of it and call it done. That being said a new shinny penny looks good too.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

dmoore

Thanks for replying everyone! Appreciate the input....The tractor was put away correctly.  The only fuel left in the tractor was that little amount in the bottom of the bowl.  I took it apart last night and got it clean as a whistle. The screen was pristine and the gasket still in great condition.   The fuel tank is pristine, the carb float bowl is pristine, float is not stuck. I installed a battery last night and it turns over perfectly:rolleyes:.  It was a little weird hearing hitting the key and not hearing the click of a starter engaging!   No fire to plug but that may be the points which I have not looked at yet. I will pull the cover tonight and inspect, adjust etc. I am just about positive the fuel pump check valves are stuck. Why wouldn't they be? Good to know the rebuild kits are still out there. Question, How do you check the trans level? I see the drain plug lower left. Also are the exact factory tires still available for this tractor? Thanks!    

• Like 4

dmoore
14 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Thats a sweeeeeet tractor !! I would clean the fuel system, clean the points, put a new plug in it and I bet it fires up. As far as the rest, thats up to you. I like them a little greasy and sweaty looking. I would just clean the heck out of it and call it done. That being said a new shinny penny looks good too.

D_ Mac she's going to get a full blown restoration just like my C-101....

• Like 2

dmoore
3 hours ago, Retierd Wrencher said:

You did very well. Great Canidate to clean up and mild refresh.

Thanks RW, I'm not one to just do a little and walk away, she will be getting a full blown:thumbs:

• Like 3

ebinmaine
50 minutes ago, dmoore said:

, How do you check the trans level? I see the drain plug lower left

The thing that you're looking at is actually not the drain plug. That's on the bottom of the transmission. Near the rear.

Not knowing how long the transmission fluid has been in there, I would just go ahead and drain it.

Raise the front of the tractor as much as you can safely do so. 20 plus inches if you can. There's a hump in the middle of the transmission and that gets the fluid that was in front of that towards the back where the drain plug is.

Fill it up with your favorite 80 or 90 weight. Really doesn't matter. These transmissions are not at all fussy.

To refill, the easiest thing to do is remove the shifter. While you're at it, replace the shifter boot and carefully check the dog point set screw that holds the shifter in place.

Capacity on the older three or four speeds is 1.5 quarts. 6 or 8 speeds capacity is 2 quarts. I normally run two qts in whatever....

• Like 3

dmoore

EB  That's what I was referring to, the drain on bottom. So on these tractors there is no dip stick like my C-101?? 

• Like 4

Pullstart
21 minutes ago, dmoore said:

EB  That's what I was referring to, the drain on bottom. So on these tractors there is no dip stick like my C-101?? 

correct.  Manual says 1.5 qts of fluid, I like to Jack up the left side and go to 2 qts even.

• Like 4

dmoore

So basically there is no dip stick?

• Like 3

dmoore

Ohhhhh ok, there is drain plug UNDER the trans...ok now we're getting somewhere!

• Haha 4

Handy Don

1 minute ago, dmoore said:

So basically there is no dip stick?

Correct. With the plug in the lower left removed, it should show oil filled up into the threads of the opening.

You likely will not be able to get ALL of the existiing oil out so it'll take a bit less than @ebinmaine suggests.

You got a sweet deal there with so much of the paint in excellent condition.

• Like 3

Handy Don
1 minute ago, dmoore said:

Ohhhhh ok, there is drain plug UNDER the trans...ok now we're getting somewhere!

Yep. ¼" allen plug.

• Like 2

stevasaurus

@dmoore  How about adding those pictures to our "Gallery of Horses" while it is original ??

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

dmoore

Will do Steve!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

im doing a 856 right now. I choose not to paint them. I like them to tell a story. That being said I do make them my own. Thats the fun part of redoing one....making them your own. As long as its running and driving again...Mission Accomplished !!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

dmoore

You can bet if this one had 100% original paint it would be left that way.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

dmoore

Points were little corroded clean them up and we now have good spark:handgestures-thumbupright:

20220517_142216.jpg

• Like 4

dmoore

If I can get this fuel pump to work I think we will have light off:handgestures-thumbupright:

20220517_143059.jpg

20220517_143204.jpg

• Like 4

dmoore

So now we know why it was parked

20220517_150144.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 3