Skwerl58

1970 GT 14 Fuel Pump and Ignition Switch Issue

Skwerl58

I have been trying to get the 1970 GT 14 running. Rebuilt the carb, cleaned the tank, replaced the fuel lines with a new filter and no fuel is getting to the carb. It has the factory fuel pump still intact and want to know what is the best route to take, a rebuild or replacement. Also the ignition switch is shot and I need to replace it, it has four connections on the back, what switch number do I need? Thanks!!

Lee1977

Can't help you with the key switch. Best bet is to go electric on the fuel pump all new fuel pump for Kohlers are plastic and not very reliable. Same goes with the replacement kits for the metal pumps is what I hear. Don't have a Gt 14 so can't tell you how to wire it. I did put a electric fuel pump on my 520 ran hot wire to the switch with a 5 amp fuse so it would only run with the switch on. Ran the ground wire to a toggle switch on the dash then the other end to ground so I could run the carb dry if I wanted to.

• Like 3

cafoose

The original ignition is breakerless and if that works I believe you need a different switch than you would need if it was converted to a battery/points ignition or you could burn up the breakerless ignition components which are both expensive and rare. First step is determine if you have breakerless or not. Breakerless has no points and points cover and a coil that looks like this:

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/uploads/monthly_2020_04/15569C82-A4DC-4CC5-B667-1893351CDC66.jpeg.6b471237ea8def9e46ec97f6dae5a103.jpeg

• Like 2

953 nut

I will go along with both @Lee1977 and @cafoose. I replaced the mechanical fuel pump with an electric pump and am very pleased with it. Mount the pump low because they are better pushers than suckers. I don't think a direct replacement ignition switch can be found for the GT-14. I replaced mine with a 103-991 switch and a five terminal block and Packard 56 terminals, NAPA has them.M90206 Fits John Deere Ignition Key Switch Connector - INCLUDES NEW TERMINALS

You can use the drawing below as a wiring guide. Your electric clutch will come from the "A" terminal along with the lights.

5b202f2559e4b_Mag.ignitiontractor-wiring.jpg.c9ba2b8fc2697f7770291614834b5fd4.jpg

• Like 2

peter lena

@cafoose  also added this to my fuel lines ,https://www.amazon.com/EVIL-ENERGY-Return-Petrol-Aluminium/dp/B07ZB42CGT?th=1 , have them on 3  kohler magnum engines , just before carb fuel entry port , standing vertically , arrow facing up ,pre  made up the clear fuel hose and dark green squeeze hose clamps , it just fits in a perfect spot , holding your next quick start . lots of hours on this , it consistently works . pete

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@cafoose  , this was  an upgrade and an opportunity to enhance it , why not ?  typically correct a problem and find a related spot to also improve on . anything I  suggest , is what I  have been using and changed to . like my stuff solid and reliable , always looking for a gain , good luck , pete

• Excellent 1