Sign in to follow this  
RetroMower

Power King questions

RetroMower

Just saw this pop up on the old marketplace and I know very little about these. It's a 78 with a 12 hp kohler and a 50 inch deck. It looks to be in great shape and the brief description says it runs and mows well. Its listed for $1000. Now that seems like someone 😏 could pick it up, clean it up and flip it. Any insight on its value and opinions on these will be greatly appreciated 

20220507_215104.jpg

Edited by RetroMower
  • Like 1

roadapples
  • Like 1

RetroMower
12 minutes ago, roadapples said:

Is he the resident PK guru? 

• Haha 1

squonk

Looks like single transmission and no hydraulic lift. Overall in good shape. 12 HP. With today's prices for junk box store mowers. $12-$1400.

• Like 2

RetroMower
4 hours ago, squonk said:

Looks like single transmission and no hydraulic lift. Overall in good shape. 12 HP. With today's prices for junk box store mowers. $12-$1400.

After posting my question I did a little digging and discovered this is a base model and not suprised it's only expected to bring $1200 which to me is a fair price if I were to keep it. It must have a clever mechanism to manually lift a 50" deck. Thanks sqonk 👍

• Like 1

squonk

Real HD units. Kohler K series coupled to a Crosley t-92 trans with automotive style clutch. Dana Rear axle. you can see the manual lift lever in this pic of an earlier model.

1965 ECONOMY (early Jim Dandy Power King) VINTAGE TRACTOR -RARE EASY  PROJECT! | eBay

• Like 1

c-series don

I have the smaller version of that, it’s called a Jim Dandy. I believe it’s mid to late 60’s. I bought it in 1984 used it very little, mostly to cruise around the neighborhood because I didn’t have a drivers license yet. I was 14 !! If I remember correctly it’s much faster than a Wheel Horse. It’s been in my basement for twenty six years now and I’m coming to the realization that I’m probably not going to use it or restore it. I really wanted to make it look better than new, and it would be an easy restoration because it’s a simple machine. However every time I look at it now I think I should just sell it!! 

44BBEE35-DFF1-4CA7-8364-B403686ACAC7.jpeg

F3BB7003-BF1A-48D7-BBBA-670149F999C3.jpeg

• Like 2

slim67
13 minutes ago, c-series don said:

I have the smaller version of that, it’s called a Jim Dandy. I believe it’s mid to late 60’s. I bought it in 1984 used it very little, mostly to cruise around the neighborhood because I didn’t have a drivers license yet. I was 14 !! If I remember correctly it’s much faster than a Wheel Horse. It’s been in my basement for twenty six years now and I’m coming to the realization that I’m probably not going to use it or restore it. I really wanted to make it look better than new, and it would be an easy restoration because it’s a simple machine. However every time I look at it now I think I should just sell it!! 

44BBEE35-DFF1-4CA7-8364-B403686ACAC7.jpeg

F3BB7003-BF1A-48D7-BBBA-670149F999C3.jpeg

Keep and clean it up. I don't see those that often anymore. A real garden tractor built to last.

• Like 4

squonk

Jim Dandy's Haul Butt! A friend had one and lived out in the middle of nowhere. On nice days if he had to go into town he's drive that instead of his truck! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Inspectorjoe

With a Power King, you have more legroom and a much higher seating position than with a Wheel Horse – especially a Lawn Ranger!

52043149_2140359089378445_4889263183467905024_n.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

squonk

Some of the cool things about Power Kings:

Is the fact all of the bolts that hold it together are fine thread. it ain't gonna fall apart! :banana-wrench:

Naming the tractor Elvis. :)

Using a WH blade on the bucket! :helmet:

2126171362_novsnow003.JPG.e55432dc0ee3503e5942d355f68b6225.JPG

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

Inspectorjoe

Chomping at the bit.

Tractorsnow brite.jpg

• Like 4

squonk

Before the loader and repaint:

483784575_pk4(2).jpg.9f0db1427bccafbd9bfb324aa352b06a.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

RetroMower

I think I may have found a better candidate for a lil fixer upper. I'll probably end up keeping it :dance: its either this or a copar panzer for $600

20220510_192717.jpg

Edited by RetroMower
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Inspectorjoe
16 hours ago, RetroMower said:

I think I may have found a better candidate for a lil fixer upper. I'll probably end up keeping it :dance: its either this or a copar panzer for $600

If there are no huge problems with it, that PK is an absolute steal. I wouldn't take long to think about it, or it will be gone.

• Like 2