timnlinda@sktc.net

OIL and Grease

timnlinda@sktc.net

Any please tell me what grade engine oil  and   rear end oil  to use on 310-8

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

I use 30 wt Rotella for engine. Any 80/90 wt gear oil for trans. 

Lift front end up when draining trans. There’s a bump in middle that prevents some oil from draining…

• Like 6

ri702bill
52 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

:text-welcomeconfetti:

I use 30 wt Rotella for engine. Any 80/90 wt gear oil for trans. 

Lift front end up when draining trans. There’s a bump in middle that prevents some oil from draining…

Excellent choices and info. Check the condition of the Unidrive gear oil before you drain it - pull the dipstick - you should only see only amber clean oil. If it is a milky brown, then there are water and rust in there - best to drain that out and add 2 quarts of diesel fuel to flush it.(plenty of info on previous posts about that) That nasty milky stuff means it is time to install a new shifter boot. Been there, done that...

Bill

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Achto

:WRS:

• Like 1

953 nut

Any good SAE 30 motor oil for the engine, the important thing is not allowing the oil level to get low and change it every 25 hours.

Tell us a bit about yourself and your 310 by doing an introduction.  https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/47-introductions/

• Like 3

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:  @peter lena will be by soon to help you keep it greasy!  Make sure to jack up the front end by the frame while doing a grease service on all the pivot points.  It’ll help the grease get to the areas needing grease the most.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 3

ri702bill
55 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

the important thing is not allowing the oil level to get low and change it every 25 hours.

Excellent advise - I assume you have a K Series Kohler - they only have splash lubrication, no oil pump or filter. Clean oil, up to the recommended level is its life blood ....

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Fellas got you well covered so I'll just :WRS:

• Like 2

peter lena

@timnlinda@sktc.net  agree with others on the lubrication refresh , thats vital for any use. that front end lift , before greasing lets the grease come out of the top of  axel  area , insuring total lubrication. would also go over all of the related linkage areas , that are probably rusty , like lift lever  cross frame  rod . lubricate that area , probably rusty .  pto  lever quadrant fit point , add  a couple of washers to firm that up along with grease , get some penetrating on the end points of your  choke and throttle cables , and related carb levers . don't forget to  pick up a new shift boot , for that oil drain out . what you are doing is a baseline lubrication , thats how you want to go at things , so you know what you have . after that you might you might start snooping around , at a  fuse check  and for good wiring . verify what you have , and move on . pretty basic stuff , welcome to the group   , keep it greasy , pete   

• Excellent 2

gwest_ca
11 hours ago, timnlinda@sktc.net said:

Any please tell me what grade engine oil  and   rear end oil  to use on 310-8

Welcome to Red Square

Post your model number and serial number so we can link you to the correct manuals.

• Like 2

peter lena

@timnlinda@sktc.net  rotella 30 wt  is a very good oil for those older engines , rear end oil  80-90 wt   2qts .  also  when you change out  your shift boot , I use a razor blade to cut it off , and dielectric grease to install it , on the shaft and starting hole point , makes it go on much easier , pete 

• Like 3

timnlinda@sktc.net

thank you, I sort of figured that would be the oil and gear oil to use,  just want to double check,  Thanks again,  TIM

Want to thank everyone for their response  and advice, I have had several wheel horse tractors over the years, always took them to be serviced. gotten older, and retired with less money,  so It is time to (diy) lol  I just bought this one  310-8  and it needs a bit of TLC, I have always loved wheel horse  (great little tractor)   so I know i'll love this one as well

Edited by timnlinda@sktc.net
update info
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@timnlinda@sktc.net  did you say you have gotten older ?  wait it gets better !  just kidding , while you are going over that baseline lubrication service , make a point of lubricating ANYTHING  THATS RUSTY , AND IS SAPOSED TO FUNCTION , typically  , you will get a rusty run out of lubricant getting into a long dry area . try your lift lever lubrication areas , especially the cross frame shaft mount points , under shifter  gate  also near  drive belt idler pully , bet that will be a rusty run out , pto lever end quadrant , probably add a couple of washer and grease , for a nice solid fit . choke and throttle cables , probably could work easier . good luck with it , anything else , just ask , pete 

timnlinda@sktc.net
On 5/3/2022 at 6:52 AM, 953 nut said:

Thank you, for update on lube  , It is always good advise, sometimes I forget those little areas

Any good SAE 30 motor oil for the engine, the important thing is not allowing the oil level to get low and change it every 25 hours.

Tell us a bit about yourself and your 310 by doing an introduction.  https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/forum/47-introductions/

10 hours ago, timnlinda@sktc.net said:

thank you, I sort of figured that would be the oil and gear oil to use,  just want to double check,  Thanks again,  TIM