Ponyboy

Help identify this feature?

Ponyboy

I'm going to check out a '68 Raider 12 this weekend and I'm curious about these 2 wheels back by the hitch that are appearing in one of the listing images. I haven't seen them before (though granted, I'm a newb when it comes to GTs), and I'm curious to know more about their purpose and whether they were options for the WH or something that was likely fab'd. I've checked out the manual but didn't see anything there. Thanks!

raider 12 hitch.png

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

TJ5208

@Ponyboy Their wheelie bars and wheels. There used for pulling. Wheel Horse didnt put these on tractors.

Edited by TJ Salyers
  • Like 2

Lee1977

Set up for a puller. They are usually farther back. those may be adjustable.

• Like 2

Jeff-C175

As a puller, you might want take into consideration the fact that the machine has been 'abused' somewhat.

• Like 2

Sparky
5 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

As a puller, you might want take into consideration the fact that the machine has been 'abused' somewhat.

I agree with that! 
 Unless your buying it to use as a puller…then jump on it 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Achto

:WRS:

• Like 1

TJ5208

:text-welcomewave:

Ponyboy

Thanks everyone! I’m actually looking at the Raider for mowing and general hauling around the property, but glad to know what these are (and something to take into consideration). 

• Like 1

roadapples

• Heart 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

953 nut
9 hours ago, Ponyboy said:

Thanks everyone! I’m actually looking at the Raider for mowing and general hauling around the property, but glad to know what these are (and something to take into consideration). 

It wouldn't hurt to contact the seller and get a bit of background information on the Raider. Does a mower deck come with it?

• Like 2

Pullstart

:text-welcomeconfetti:

You should be able to lay on the ground under the frame and inspect the 4 bolts where the frame bolts to the transmission.  That would likely be the #1 failure point if it were used for major pulling.  They can break under normal use on occasion.

• Like 2

Ponyboy
18 hours ago, 953 nut said:

It wouldn't hurt to contact the seller and get a bit of background information on the Raider. Does a mower deck come with it?

@953 nut Yes, there’s a deck - this model had 3 size options (36, 42, or 48), looks to be one of the latter 2 from the pics. According to the seller, the only thing they did to it was paint It and put the wheel weights on. Trying to see if seller can come down in price, it’s well over $300 in gas alone for me (10 hours round trip in a big V10 gasser). 

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
8 hours ago, Ponyboy said:

@953 nut Yes, there’s a deck - this model had 3 size options (36, 42, or 48), looks to be one of the latter 2 from the pics. According to the seller, the only thing they did to it was paint It and put the wheel weights on. Trying to see if seller can come down in price, it’s well over $300 in gas alone for me (10 hours round trip in a big V10 gasser). 

My opinion, keep looking.

Has wheelie bars.  Seller only painted and put on weights.  He knows nothing of puller use?  Did you ask him?  If he is a truthful seller, he would disclose that.

You did understand what we meant by 'puller' yes?  And how it really is abusive to the machine?

Care to disclose his asking price?

wallfish

Doubtful there's going to be very much to pick from as far as WH goes way out in OR so asking the seller some questions is best if you want it.

As far as pulling goes, the only major abuse would only be to the transmission so if it's shifting and moving fine I'd have no problem getting it. Like pullstart wrote, look at the frame to transmission connection area for any signs of major failures which should give a good indication if went through a bunch of heavy pulling, wheelies and slamming down the front end. That frame to trans area problem is even common on snow pushing machines and can be repaired fairly easily. Plus, if it was a puller maybe there are some good modifications to beef it up and or engine work done.

:twocents-02cents:

Ponyboy
3 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

My opinion, keep looking.

Has wheelie bars.  Seller only painted and put on weights.  He knows nothing of puller use?  Did you ask him?  If he is a truthful seller, he would disclose that.

You did understand what we meant by 'puller' yes?  And how it really is abusive to the machine?

Care to disclose his asking price?

@Jeff-C175 I haven't discussed the pulling yet with the seller, though I've gathered he's an enthusiast from his profile (just learned this last night). 

I went (begrudgingly, very boring for me as a child) to a number of tractor pull events growing up in Iowa...I'm assuming puller is what they call the tractors rigged for the event.

It appears to be in great cosmetic shape, per his post 'the motor had been gone through' before he got it from the previous owner (current seller also got new wheels, along with the weights and the paint job I mentioned earlier).

I think I know of a total of 5 or 6 WH's for sale within 350 miles, ranging from $200-$4,200...it's slim picken's out here for sure.

raider12.png.3c2a81a4fcff2891d44f6d0911b572ba.png

Edited by Ponyboy
proper english
  • Like 1

wallfish

Looks like it was set up so the little kids driving it can't flip it backwards. pedal extension (unless the PO was really short) Possibly a kid's puller machine.

Go get it!

Handy Don

Pullers well taken care of can be nice machines. But I'd want to know why it's being sold.

Ponyboy

Thanks everyone for the info and advice! I opted to back out and keep looking (was turning into a logistical nightmare trying to plan the trip and coordinate schedules. I’ve got my eye on a ‘65 875 for half the price and a few hours closer (now if only the seller would respond!). Maybe I’ll be posting pics of my new WH mower someday soon.

• Like 3

Wild Bill in VA

With that 2-5/16 inch ball hitch on the back it's possible they moved a trailer like a car hauler or camper with the tractor. The angle of the wheelie bars and how close to the axle they are would make for some high flying wheelies.

Wild Bill in Richmond VA

• Like 1

Jennifer
On 4/5/2022 at 6:57 PM, Ponyboy said:

I'm going to check out a '68 Raider 12 this weekend and I'm curious about these 2 wheels back by the hitch that are appearing in one of the listing images.

raider 12 hitch.png

The tractor I question looks very similar to this one!  Only looked for examples to help you understand a puller when the tractor I found looks like the tractor you showed above..

BC18503B-0EB3-4ADF-9FB2-EBC97B97E9D7.jpeg

ECC3D585-C262-47DE-81C5-BA18F81DB2C8.jpeg

66B1A980-55C0-43AD-9C99-E453A48B80F9.png

• Like 1