Brockport Bill

Eaton 1100 hydro -- "stiff" shifting

Brockport Bill

Eaton 1100 tranny question - for a 314h with a "sticky" stiff shift lever ? My transition from forward to neutral to reverse ( column shift lever) is not smooth. The movement of lever into neutral is too tight or sticky rather than smooth and into reverse the same. It seems more a fight than it should be -- I have always had 312-8 so still not familair with the characteristics of the hydro shift and what is what would be called a "normal feel"? Is this a wear issue of the linkage, or the spacers, or bushings, from the shift lever to the cam? Or is this some likely internal issue? I have read the Eaton 1100 service manual but still not entirely clear to me if its an "adjustment" issue or something else? Thanks

gwest_ca

Have you had the seat pan off yet? The problem may be laying under it.

• Like 2

JCM

Prime example of a neglected Hydro linkage in dire need of cleaning and some lubrication in certain places. Pictured is after purchase of a 418, nice and smooth now.

IMG_0789.JPG

IMG_1053.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG

IMG_0132.JPG

IMG_0134.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Look for a groove worn into the surface under the big hexed thingy where the slotted cam rides too.

IMG_0789.JPG

• Like 3

JoeM
35 minutes ago, squonk said:

Look for a groove worn into the surface under the big hexed thingy where the slotted cam rides too.

:text-yeahthat:

And take the cover off below the gage panel and check the slot area that the column shifter reverse/forward pin rides.

• Like 3

953 nut

Much like @JCM showed you in his photos I was unable to move the direction control very far when I brought home my 418-C. I removed the cover for the tunnel and found an accumulation of nut shells and mouse nests that prevented the lever from moving full range.

• Like 3

Brockport Bill
7 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Have you had the seat pan off yet? The problem may be laying under it.

yes i have had seat pan off and the tunnel cover plate off and everything is cleaned -- when i got the tractor last year it was pretty clean and i have cleaned it even further --- plus i lubed the linkage under the tunnel with few drops of oil so they are all free and easy moving --- 

Brockport Bill
5 hours ago, squonk said:

yes, under the hex nut the cam plate has a very slight wear pattern -- but very minimal -- but i also looked at the Eaton manual here on RS and actually photos show a slight malformation angle - it is not a straight cut out but has a designed curvature turn to it ---  so i assumed the slider opening has a slight "bend" to it but having never seen a new cam i have nothing to compare it to -- so what i am seeing seems within what was the original design for the proper movement --- the manual does talk about an adjustment for "neutral" that i have not tried yet. I thought i'd write here on RS to ask the brainiacs first????????????

IMG_0789.JPG

Brockport Bill
5 hours ago, JoeM said:

:text-yeahthat:

And take the cover off below the gage panel and check the slot area that the column shifter reverse/forward pin rides.

i have not yet removed the guage panel plate to check the steering tranny shift column lever so i will check that for any wear or needed lube -- thats a good point -- thanks