Fishroe

Changed gear oil. Ugghhh!

Fishroe

Recently purchased  414-8

Been sitting outside for who knows how long

i thought the axle seal was leaking 

Oily film/dirt all over the inside of the wheel and hub

Took the wheel and hub off cleaned everything up

drove it around for about 10 minutes and inspected the seal and it is dry as a bone

so I drained it and we’ll go from there

luckily no left or right play no up and down play on the axle shaft 

maybe a 16th of an inch in and out

A35B6CAC-7D17-4EF4-816F-1946B0AFB740.jpeg

Edited by Fishroe
  • Like 2
  • Sad 3

SylvanLakeWH

That’s not uncommon for a trans that got water in it… is the shift boot shot? If yes I’d replace it to keep water out…

Also when you drained it did you raise the front end up? Helps get all the oil out…

Id run it around for a few and then drain again… get the crap out…

:twocents-twocents:

• Like 4

oliver2-44

Fill it with diesel and drive it around in all gears for awhile to flush it out. Then drain and refill with gear oil. 

At least you had milky oil. When you pull the plug on one and only get clear water you really cringe. 

IMG_1839.JPG.39d1c247a9154961e53a7d251efa95b6.JPG

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

stevasaurus

Even if the boot is OK, you will still get some condensation in the trans, especially if it is outside, or in a un-heated garage or shed.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 4

Fishroe

Replaced the boot a couple days ago

yes it’s jacked up in the front as far as the floor jack will go

Diesel fuel won’t hurt it???

I have some left over when I had a jd 455 

kinda wish I hadn’t sold it but it was taking up too much space

i didn’t have a garage built then. I do now 

• Like 4

Pullstart
3 minutes ago, Fishroe said:

absolutely not.  I wouldn’t go plow a garden with diesel, but I’d have no problem scooting around the yard for 30 minutes :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

JoeM
17 minutes ago, Fishroe said:

If you are real concerned put it up and jack stands and run it changing gears from time to time. drain and repeat. It holds two quarts. The idea is to rinse out the residuals that are loose in the case. You can do it a couple two three times. If you have a magnetic drain plug that always helps. I have taken a flexible magnet and put in the fill hole and fished around the just to see what sticks.

You can catch some of the drain and put it on white paper towel, will show the amount of rust your dealing with.

Don't want to scare you but this was real bad one.

No matter how many times I flushed rust just kept coming out.

Most are okay just with a good flush

Lucked out and all the bearings and gears were good.

1959152385_TransGearingApart2.jpg.30e2d1fe6f658b28e694a3d84de3219b.jpg1476970255_TransGearingApart3.jpg.eeeb1a45b3be0cc9494b4170da3a26ac.jpg

Edited by JoeM
  • Like 2

Fishroe
25 minutes ago, JoeM said:

If you are real concerned put it up and jack stands and run it changing gears from time to time. drain and repeat. It holds two quarts. The idea is to rinse out the residuals that are loose in the case. You can do it a couple two three times. If you have a magnetic drain plug that always helps. I have taken a flexible magnet and put in the fill hole and fished around the just to see what sticks.

You can catch some of the drain and put it on white paper towel, will show the amount of rust your dealing with.

Don't want to scare you but this was real bad one.

No matter how many times I flushed rust just kept coming out.

Most are okay just with a good flush

Lucked out and all the bearings and gears were good.

1959152385_TransGearingApart2.jpg.30e2d1fe6f658b28e694a3d84de3219b.jpg1476970255_TransGearingApart3.jpg.eeeb1a45b3be0cc9494b4170da3a26ac.jpg

did you open it up just to get rust out or was something not doing right 

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Fishroe said:

maybe a 16th of an inch in and out

End play on either side up to ⅛" is ok. More is trouble.

• Like 1

Fishroe

OK got 2 quarts of diesel fuel in it time to ride around. How long should I ride

stevasaurus

The above couple of pictures are exactly why I am not a proponent of flushing a trans and thinking it is clean now.  Flushing may not even get all the sludge out.  Want to do it right???  Open it up and clean it out...especially if you just bought it from someone.

To me, flushing will do some cleaning and make opening up the trans a nicer job.  That in itself, is worth it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
Just now, Fishroe said:

OK got 2 quarts of diesel fuel in it time to ride around. How long should I ride

30 minutes or so… then flush, then repeat…

do circles, both directions, all gears, reverse too

Digger 66
8 minutes ago, Fishroe said:

Until the Mrs. tells you to come in . 

JK .

• Haha 4

Fishroe

I’ll be out all night if I wait for that

this is Boring riding around doing nothing

damn I thought the hour meter was working but it is not

• Haha 1

Fishroe

I guess I should do it again?

pretty much the same color just thinner

is that rust coming out of there

B32BFA24-F449-4A69-A37D-3F84BED5241A.jpeg

Edited by Fishroe

oldlineman

You may get some seal leakage with the diesel fuel but should be ok when you get the 90 w back it it. yes I would do it till it cleans up or do what Steve suggests and open er up. Bob 80 / 90 w is fine

Edited by oldlineman

Fishroe

I have some 80/90 

should I go get some straight 90

OutdoorEnvy

80/90 is fine.

I’ve often thought about using marine gear oil as it is supposed to prevent and help rust issues.  Anyone try it?

• Like 1

peter lena

@Fishroe , regularly drive up the road to local cul de sacs , 1/3 mi , thats where  i drive to warm up gear oil , and do some operational checks . usually a couple of times for a thorough oil flushing , tried a number of oil flushes , recently using atf  oil as a cleaning flush , thought it was the best . my oils were not muddy with water . regularly check them . that magnet drain plug is good if you can get a similar flush fit. internet check, I regularly check my lubricants , for a  story of what's going on , being a lubrication nut , don,t even thin about it , just regularly look . @OutdoorEnvy  has a good idea , compare needed specs  , could be worth a try . pete 

• Like 1

JoeM

I opened it because I flushed it just like your doing and it was still coming out bad. The magnet came out with a bunch of rusty stuff stuck to it. 
a good 2 evening job, at least for me.

• Like 2

JoeM
10 hours ago, OutdoorEnvy said:

I’ve often thought about using marine gear oil as it is supposed to prevent and help rust issues.

Not necessary, but it's your money.

Quality gear oils have emulsifiers and anti rust additives. Those oils will suspend the water and still lubricate within reason. 1 percent was the threshold for me on oil change outs during my career. Of course we sampled routinely. 

The quantity of water in your oil drain is well above that level.

As Pete was saying prevention is the solution. Limit the areas the water can enter and checking on a frequent basis is the best.

As with your story, and most of us here, we inherit the problem from a careless owner. And voila.....rusty watery oil=more work.

The after pic of that case after some TLC.

368383835_transmissiongoingbacktogetherpic5.jpg.6019f2d37f1250d1cd299bffd131f619.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

Fishroe

with your story, and most of us here, we inherit theproblem from a careless owner. And voila.....rusty wateryoil=more work.  

That’s a big 10 four

Second and final flush

I believe I spent $10 in gas riding around for an hour 

non-ethanol is $5.33 a gallon in my neck of the woods

54502537-D422-43C5-A7B8-9A831D7EBE1A.jpeg

Edited by Fishroe

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Fishroe said:

with your story, and most of us here, we inherit theproblem from a careless owner. And voila.....rusty wateryoil=more work.  

That’s a big 10 four

Second and final flush

I believe I spent $10 in gas riding around for an hour 

non-ethanol is $5.33 a gallon in my neck of the woods

54502537-D422-43C5-A7B8-9A831D7EBE1A.jpeg

Back to @stevasaurus' comment -- that doesn't look flushed enough to me.

Another reason I'm on the fence about flushing is that I don't have a safe way to dispose of the diesel. Plain oil any service station must accept, but if it's contaminated with gas or diesel, they can refuse it.

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

I think, at the very least, I would pull the shifter and shine a light down the hole.  You might get a good idea what it looks like inside.  Maybe stick a screwdriver down the hole and scrape the bottom and see what's there.  :eusa-think:

• Like 1

Fishroe
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Back to @stevasaurus' comment -- that doesn't look flushed enough to me.

Another reason I'm on the fence about flushing is that I don't have a safe way to dispose of the diesel. Plain oil any service station must accept, but if it's contaminated with gas or diesel, they can refuse it.

Yea I knew somebody would say that, and it probably could’ve used another flush. I’ve put oil back in now. I’ll get a few hours on it and change oil. Gotta be better than it was. Wasn’t having any trans problems before flushing but I’m sure they were on the way, the way that oil looked. 

• Like 3