Fergus

212-5 Drive Belt Replacement Method?

Fergus

Hey guys. I had a search but couldn't find the answer. I need to replace this transmission belt and it looks like I have to remove the transmission axle to do so. It looks quite involved to do so as the axle has a vertical drive shaft which passes up through the chassis and under the seat for use as a PTO. Does replacement really involve as much work as I'm imagining? If so, I'd better get busy working on it! 

Thanks in advance

Fergus

IMG20220312161623_compress85.jpg

IMG20220312161617_compress87.jpg

IMG20220312161621_compress56.jpg

IMG20220312161652_compress87.jpg

953 nut

:confusion-confused:           I have never owned a 200 series Wheel Horse but on the vertical shaft mowers I have owned the belt could be slipped between the rear pulley and sheet metal without removing anything. In your last picture it looks tight but should be able to be done.

• Like 1

peter lena

@Fergus  agree with @953 nut on the belt replacement  possibility , another thing that is glairing  is the condition of the related idler pulleys , with that surface rust , and dry bearing area , would be a good time to replace those too . they tend to get noisy and have a distinctive whine noise when trying to move. also note related , "  movement points "  are dry with no lubrication related oil film about them . only a suggestion , but while you are there , would be a good time , pete 

• Like 1

JoeM

The one I did on my brothers machine the pulley was able to stay on. I am going from memory here, I am pretty sure there was a couple guides along the pulley that had to come off.

• Like 1

oldlineman

No experience with this model but looks to me that removal of the belt keepers at the various pulleys would let you complete this job. Bob  

• Like 1

Fergus

Thanks guys. Unfortunately the shaft continues above the transmission pulley, through a support bearing, through the chassis and to a pulley under the seat for PTO (pictured)

IMG20220122143702_compress92.jpg

peter lena

@oldlineman  just looking at that set up and condition , for me that would be a regular ," freeing up of its function " service.  note how it is saposed to work , then detail every spot on it .  my stuff spins up without effort , and is quiet , thats what I  want , greasy pete

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Do you have the model number and serial number of this tractor?

Can not imagine why a pto pulley at the rear unless it was to drive a powered grass collector model 07-31PS01.

• Like 1

Fergus
7 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Do you have the model number and serial number of this tractor?

Can not imagine why a pto pulley at the rear unless it was to drive a powered grass collector model 07-31PS01.

Yes indeed it's for a collector 

IMG20220122143711_compress12.jpg

gwest_ca

Here is everything we have on this model. There is some SM (Service Manual) info in one file. 

If you do not plane on using the pto pulley I would cut the shaft off below the seat pan. Looks like it would be a wasted effort to remove the rusted pulley but you will not know until you try.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?&q=e2-12k501&type=downloads_file&search_and_or=or&sortby=relevancy

Not the correct manual but may help

Do not bend the wire guides at the pulleys to get the belt out. They need to be in those positions to guide the belt for proper clutch operation

• Like 1

Fergus

Here we go guys. Here's a video I took showing the setup. Shortly after this I jumped in the deep end and cut the old belt off so now I have to replace it! The question remains, how? The only way I can see is to remove the transaxle and upper pulley. I have the belt and idler pulleys on order

Fergus

By the way, that pulley under the seat is to power a sweeper (which I don't own yet)

sweeper.jpg

sweeper2.jpg

sweeper3.jpg

• Like 1