Chassr

1990 520H not charging

Chassr

where do I start to find a no charge problem with this 1990 520H I have had it since new 1200 hrs has had an electrical fire installed new rectifier it shows

that it puts out a charge but its not showing on gauge and not charging battery

peter lena

@Chassr  might try adding grounding to that rectifier tin mount area , just a connection from battery ground bolt point . any corrosion in those tin mount bolts , will affect its conductivity , often use small alligator clips  on  12-14 gage wire  to test a power run . dielectric grease on bolt threading to area . just a suggestion , pete

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Download this file. One page shows the charging circuit. The wire colors at the engine may not be correct.

Look for overheating at the 9-pin connector and yellow wire.

roadapples

:WRS:

peter lena

@gwest_ca  agree with the overheating connector area , often has an electrical plastic cracking dust  in the area . might also be a good time to do a wire strain reroute , typically related wires  are hard dried and cracked , giving related wiring issues.  only a suggestion  , pete  

lynnmor

Download the Onan Service Manual here.

With it you can troubleshoot the charging system.  The remainder of the wiring can be checked using the previous mentioned Demystification Guide mentioned above.

Chassr

thanks all for the re

On 3/13/2022 at 2:55 PM, lynnmor said:

Download the Onan Service Manual here.

With it you can troubleshoot the charging system.  The remainder of the wiring can be checked using the previous mentioned Demystification Guide mentioned above.

Chassr

Thanks all for the reply I work away and not home to keep at this could someone tell me if I can run a wire straight from charge side of rectifier to battery thanks

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Chassr said:

Thanks all for the reply I work away and not home to keep at this could someone tell me if I can run a wire straight from charge side of rectifier to battery thanks

Yes you can.

cleat

That is how the early 520's were wired basically (they ran a wire to the solenoid).

Just be sure to put in a 30A inline fuse for safety.

Chassr

thanks all charging again did use 30 amp fuse charge does cycle to trickle seems normal probably cruel to ask an older tractor 

like this to cut 3 acres but it does effortlessly also what oil filter would be right for 20 hp Onan thanks

• Like 1

lynnmor
3 minutes ago, Chassr said:

what oil filter would be right for 20 hp Onan thanks

Use an Onan 122-0800 or Fleetguard Lf3339 oil filter.  Be sure that you have a 122-0502 Oil Filter to Shroud Gasket installed.

Chassr

thank you