Jump to content
jeepdan

520 swept axle spindle geometry and dimensions

Recommended Posts

jeepdan
Posted (edited)

I'm about to attempt making a set of spindles for my NOS swept front axle beam that I have recently bought, but I don't have an old specimen to gather info off of.

Can someone provide a few pictures with measurements?

Edited by jeepdan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Handy Don
24 minutes ago, jeepdan said:

I'm about to attempt making a set of spindles for my swept axle, but I don't have an old specimen to gather info off of.

Can someone provide a few pictures with measurements?

Or, someone have an old worn out junker that I could have cheap?

I've yet to see a junked swept axle. I got mine as a roller when the PO swiped the engine for a pulling tractor that was more important to him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
roadapples

There's a pair on ebay, but he's proud of them...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Handy Don

Should add to this that the swept front axle geometry demands steering parts that go with it--at least the tie rods and likely the lower steering shaft (the one with the fan gear that runs between the frame rails). The inboard tie rod attachment points must be angled rearward to keep the rods from hitting the axles.

don't know if that shaft is compatible with non-reduction steering components or if a standard one can be modified to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
WHX??
Posted (edited)

I gave the Pull Hosen @Pullstart a swept awhile back and pretty sure it had spindles maybe he can get you some dims. The spindle sockets were pretty wallowed out but figured a guy as talented as him could do something with it. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Pullstart

I PM’d this to Dan, but figured I’d stick it here too for reference.

 

the steering arm looks like it’s 3-1/8 - 3-3/16” away from the 1” pin.  The arm appears to be perpendicular to the centerline of the spindle rod.  I don’t have my angle finder handy right now but the the tires appear to sit flat on the ground (aka no camber) so I believe the bend angle could be calculated by the angle of the machined surface on the axle.


the steering arm I believe should be flat.  The one pictured is a bit twisted/bent and the other one is flat.

 

A667450B-2060-4723-9DE1-66B2A12F06EA.jpeg

2443F885-65B1-40AF-8577-1892432CD7A0.jpeg

2F50F0E8-B25E-4817-93D1-B9342DEBEA78.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Handy Don
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

I PM’d this to Dan, but figured I’d stick it here too for reference.

 

the steering arm looks like it’s 3-1/8 - 3-3/16” away from the 1” pin.  The arm appears to be perpendicular to the centerline of the spindle rod.  I don’t have my angle finder handy right now but the the tires appear to sit flat on the ground (aka no camber) so I believe the bend angle could be calculated by the angle of the machined surface on the axle.


the steering arm I believe should be flat.  The one pictured is a bit twisted/bent and the other one is flat.

I'll chip in too. Agreed on the camber. The arm definitely should be flat.

image.png.52ed6dd33325acf6f1c1065b173ad45e.png

 

And the flange on the lower steering shaft definitely should cant backward as seen here and using heavier tie rods and ball joints:

image.png.e32bf6c88e8f9026580a08195439eee5.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
roadapples

Tie rods would be easy to make with all thread and heim joints...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Handy Don
8 minutes ago, roadapples said:

Tie rods would be easy to make with all thread and heim joints...

I agree, as long as the rods and joints are stronger than the originals. I've never been a fan of all thread used in compression situations, only tension.

  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Pullstart

Using tubing as a sleeve for the all thread would toughen it up too.

 

as for my steering arm measurement, it might be 3-3/16 - 3-1/4 if not for the bent arm.  It brings the tie rod stud closer..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
roadapples
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I agree, as long as the rods and joints are stronger than the originals. I've never been a fan of all thread used in compression situations, only tension.

If I  were making a pair, once I got the fitment figured out, I would put a tube/pipe over them not only for strength but for looks 

Kevin types faster than me....

Edited by roadapples
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Pullstart
8 minutes ago, roadapples said:

Kevin types faster than me

 

there’s even a sleeping baby on me:ROTF:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
WHX??
12 hours ago, roadapples said:

There's a pair on ebay, but he's proud of them...

You talkin the ones for 80 'Apples? Might be a little high but not highway robbery. There is a set of tie rods there too for 65 clams. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
roadapples
1 minute ago, WHX?? said:

You talkin the ones for 80 'Apples? Might be a little high but not highway robbery. There is a set of tie rods there too for 65 clams. 

Yup, and another 15 for shipping...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Handy Don
21 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Using tubing as a sleeve for the all thread would toughen it up too.

 

as for my steering arm measurement, it might be 3-3/16 - 3-1/4 if not for the bent arm.  It brings the tie rod stud closer..

A lot of balancing in this design.

The shortened arms need less travel but take more effort to steer (one reason for stronger tie rods).

The extra effort is overcome for the operator by the reduction steering.

The "bent" steering shaft flange realigns the tie rods away from the axle to prevent interference in sharp turns.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
jeepdan

Thanks guys for all of the input.

As for tie rods,I actually bought the pair off of ebay for $59.00 shipped + WV sales tax from joes-outdoor-power a few days ago.

Very satisfied, ends are very tight. They appear to have been well maintained during their previous life.

DSCN5367.JPG

  • Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
jeepdan
44 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

 

 

as for my steering arm measurement, it might be 3-3/16 - 3-1/4 if not for the bent arm.  It brings the tie rod stud closer..

How would you know with that worn out tape rule.:confusion-scratchheadyellow: Carpenter's eye to read that one.

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
JoeM

was in the dry shed and took this pic

1262371243_frontwheelaxle.jpg.ef9896b03effae9a56cc8d9ce7f3044e.jpg

 

neat looking bearing on the fan tail shaft :handgestures-thumbupright:

DSCN5367.JPG

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
peter lena

@jeepdan. nice work dan , make it last , lucas xtra heavy duty chassis grease , greasy pete

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
WHX??
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, jeepdan said:

How would you know with that worn out tape rule.:confusion-scratchheadyellow: Carpenter's eye to read that one.

 

Gotta know him to love him Jeep......he's like that neibors dog that pees on yer bushes but so cute & friendly ya still gotta scratch him behind the ears....:laughing-rolling:

Edited by WHX??
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
roadapples
7 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Gotta know him to love him Jeep......he's like that neibors dog that pees on yer bushes but so cute & friendly ya still gotta scratch him behind the ears....:laughing-rolling:

Now that's funny right there, I don't care who you are that's funny...:ROTF:

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Handy Don
23 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Gotta know him to love him Jeep......he's like that neibors dog that pees on yer bushes but so cute & friendly ya still gotta scratch him behind the ears....:laughing-rolling:

Or the little child that has been bad, and knows it, but is so cute about it you have to laugh.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Pullstart

I’m right here fellas!  :greetings-waveyellow:

 

@jeepdan the tape is for alignment.  My eyecrometer took care of the rest.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
jeepdan
Posted (edited)

Making a pair of 1 1/16" dia. trailer spindles of the older short profile.

Also drilled them to copy the EZ Lube lubrication system.

DSCN5372.JPG

DSCN5376.JPG

Edited by jeepdan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
jeepdan

Can someone give me this measurement of a 520 spindle?

DSCN5377.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...