WHX??

What's It Off Of??

WHX??

Some bozo threw this on my scrap dock today. No kidding!

I would be willing to bet a restorer out there somewhere is looking for one of these. Destined to be garage art  at JC Stables for now. 

Any Idea what tractor it belongs to? 

20220217_123539[1].jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

sjoemie himself

Seems like it says "Ferguson System" on the top middle? I'm guessing it's of and old Massey Ferguson tractor or early Ford counterpart.

Probably TO or TF model.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Jennifer

Looks like it’s in great shape 

Edited by Jennifer
  • Like 3

WHX??
11 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

Seems like it says "Ferguson System" on the top middle?

Yes it does ... was saving that for a clue but you got it. 

Immaculate Jennifer rods bent very little on the right side but always stored inside so it looks and somewhat heavy. 

Edited by WHX??

Achto

Would be from a Ford Ferguson. Built before the fall out between Ford and Ferguson and before Ferguson's merger with Massey.

299053-1582825888-991270.jpg.ccf31f2edb32517097109da78d35508c.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

8ntruck

I've got an 8N that it would fit.  It currently has a home made grill on it.

@ebinmaine has  a Ferguson that it would fit, too.  If I remember correctly, that tractor is kind of rough and might could need a grill.

• Like 3

ebinmaine
11 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

I've got an 8N that it would fit.  It currently has a home made grill on it.

@ebinmaine has  a Ferguson that it would fit, too.  If I remember correctly, that tractor is kind of rough and might could need a grill.

You are absolutely correct about the tractor being kind of rough.

In fact that's the sort of understatement that would win trophies.

Final decision has not yet been made but it looks like we're going to pull the loader and parts sell the tractor.   

• Haha 3

sjoemie himself
33 minutes ago, Achto said:

Massey.

299053-1582825888-991270.jpg.ccf31f2edb32517097109da78d35508c.jpg

That's the one! 

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

That is cool! 

Garage art is perfect until it can find a mobile home on a tractor… 

Perhaps if @ebinmaine does part out his Ferguson it would work on that other build is his… that grill is certainly Colossus…

:twocents-twocents: 

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

That is cool! 

Garage art is perfect until it can find a mobile home on a tractor… 

Perhaps if @ebinmaine does part out his Ferguson it would work on that other build is his… that grill is certainly Colossus…

:twocents-twocents: 

You've got a half decent idea there but I think we're going to go with that Kohler generator grill on the big wheel tractor build. 

• Like 2

WHX??
2 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

that EB is kind of rough and might could need a grill.

:laughing-rolling:

• Excellent 1

wh500special

It’s for a 9N or 2N Ford (Ford-Ferguson).  The two tractors are fundamentally the same and most people just call them all 9N’s.  Ford made some minor improvements to the 9N for 1942 so they could raise the price during the WWII price control days.   And offered the tractor with steel wheels and hand crank start to deal with shortages. 

“Ferguson System” refers to Harry Ferguson’s three point hitch system and wide array of implements.  It first made its debut on some David Brown tractors in England in 1936 but didn’t gain momentum until Harry demonstrated (to Henry Ford) how his lightweight little machine could match the plowing abilities of a much larger conventional tractor and plow.  

Ford made the tractors to Ferguson’s spec and Ferguson set up the dealer network and distribution channels.  The fundamentals of all this were what made up the legendary Handshake Agreement between Henry Ford and Harry Ferguson. 

Eventually Henry’s successors realized that while Ford made the tractors, Ferguson was making the money.  So the handshake deal was broken off and the 8N was introduced without the Ferguson System badge. 

Ferguson began importing his TE-30 tractor from Europe soon thereafter.  Then started making the TO-30 for North American use.  TE was his moniker for “Tractor Europe” while TO was “tractor overseas.”

Apparently Harry was an extraordinary inventor and a perfectionist.  It’s reported he trailed the Wright Brothers by only a few weeks to record the world’s first flight. The way his draft control three point hitch transfers plowing loads into traction force was brilliant.

anyway, the grille is from a 9N/2N. 

steve 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

T-Mo

Ford 9N or 2N, which were called Ford Fergusons.

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Very interesting Steve. There was a thread awhile back that had a link to a interesting article about that "handshake deal" See if I can find it. 

Thanks fellas. 

Edit:

Being the history buff I am I love reading stuff like this.

https://livinghistoryfarm.org/farminginthe40s/machines_0204.html

Edited by WHX??
  • Excellent 1

T-Mo

Here are two interesting files.  The first one gives us a bit about the handshake agreement on page 2 of that document.  Page 4 tells us about the end of the handshake agreement.

The second file shows the history of changes Ford made in the N series tractors.

History-of-the-Ford-Tractors.pdf Change history '39-'64 Ford Tractors reduced.pdf

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Very Interesting and schooling reads thank you T-Mo.

The Ferguson System badge then leads me to think my grille is a pre or during war one. Certainly before '47. 

T-Mo

The Ferguson System badge would be on all 9N and 2N tractors.  Some the badges were in silver and some in blue, I just hadn't figured out on what models and what years blue or silver were on.

WHX??

Looking at it again I have half a mind to paint it to orginal colors. Plan it is to check them out at shows this season and talk with collectors. 

ClassicTractorProfessor

So that's where my grille went:text-lol:

But yes as others have said that most definitely fits a 9n or 2n Ford 

FB_IMG_1645666843595.jpg

• Like 1