Ifixoldjunk

Bolens 1050 engine swap

Ifixoldjunk

B6FB9D74-E2A1-44F2-A5A6-757EED95AE30.jpeg.15a1f8402fb5bb4a29f0e33eac5b1f64.jpeg

So my old 1050 that got me roped into the tractor collecting hobby, is about ready for a new engine. The wisconsin TRA-10d that it came with has severe blowback, and pretty much leaks from anywhere it can. Not to mention it smokes a little. I've been unable to locate another wisconsin engine, and I have been considering a predator swap. My only real requirement is I will not cut into the hood or body. Has anyone ever swapped engines in a bolens? What seems to be a good fit? I'll probably also do a custom exhaust and intake to complete the rat rod look.

• Like 1

Pullstart

Is this a belt driven machine?  Shaft driven?  Maybe a Kohler would fit and look about right?

Edited by Pullstart
  • Like 2

WHX??

Any reason the Wisconsin can't be gone thru? Parts availability  issues I would guess. 

What HP are you thinking.  Just guessing a pred. Would not be a good fit with you restriction on alterations,  which is ok in my book. A motor with an upright jug might be best. Say an older Briggs? 

Just an idea is once you get ready to do a transplant get a Predator and see how it fits being very careful. It it doesn't look like it's gonna work take the motor back?!? Just thinkin out loud here.

BTW nice survivor you have there. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Ifixoldjunk

@Pullstart it’s belt to shaft so as long as the bolens quad pulley setup fits it’s golden. I have a k241 I’ve sized up but it’s literally a inch to tall. 831AE628-B963-47EB-922D-0326F48050AC.jpeg.c654f009fbebce63e9140d7cd331d23c.jpeg

bolens really didn’t expect people to take any of this apart lol

• Haha 1

Achto

One common thing that I see when people do a Predator is that they leave the gas tank on the engine. I prefer to take the Predator tank off & use the tractor's original gas tank. Doing this greatly decreases the over all size of the engine. Swapping out the big air cleaner for a smaller one buys even more space. 

• Like 2

Ifixoldjunk

@WHX?? unfortunately the Wisconsin’s piston and rings are about shot, and the hole for the governor shaft is all wallowed out. It is doable but seems like it would be pretty pricey. So I’m planning on just storing the original engine while slowly going though it.

• Excellent 2

Ifixoldjunk

@Achto yeah, that would probably be the best bet seeing how those predators kinda go on a slant. Smaller tank and custom exhaust and intake would probably do it.

• Excellent 1

WHX??

How about a 241 with the short pan? Guessing your aiming for about 10 hp? And that's what the ten in the 1050 is? 

Sorry I am not up on my Bolens models. 

• Like 1

Ifixoldjunk

@WHX?? Yeah, hadn’t thought about the short pan. The local small engine shop has a magnum 8 I’ve been eyeing up. Close enough power. The tractor only ever pulls and plows. 

• Like 1

WHX??

Had a chance to look it up....

http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/001/2/3/1239-bolens-1050.html

I have a short pan on a parts 241 if you need one. 

A 8 might give you more work around room in there tho. It does looked pretty packed in there. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2

andyk

It can be done without cutting the hood, but would require some patience which I didn't have.

I had a spare hood I cut up to keep the snow off. I used it for several years

WP_20140302_002.jpg