JCM

Tire chain questions

JCM

On a 4 wheel drive diesel tractor with a weight of just under 5000 lbs including the loader and rear weight box, would just a front set of chains help at all for traction and or steering? I have a couple places where I encounter that are off camber and could be an issue in the winter when moving snow backing up. I prefer not to use rear chains but considering front ones as I could install and remove by using the bucket to lift the front wheels off the ground.  Thanks

IMG_0532.JPG

IMG_0531.JPG

Snoopy11

Yes sir. Sure could! I have done that with the Explorer and Ranger in the past to gain steering. :)

Don

• Thanks 1

Maxwell-8

How would the 4wd system deal with the slight increase of front tire height? 

JCM

I am not sure if that matters ? My average speed during snow removal in 4 wheel drive is 2.5 mph. What are your thoughts ? Thank you @Maxwell-8 for your response.

• Like 1

Handy Don
7 minutes ago, JCM said:

I am not sure if that matters ? My average speed during snow removal in 4 wheel drive is 2.5 mph. What are your thoughts ? Thank you @Maxwell-8 for your response.

I don't think @Maxwell-8's question is related to speed, per se.

It's whether the front-rear differential is locked or limited slip since the relative speeds between front and rear will change with having somewhat larger diameter front wheels.

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

oldlineman

Also can the front drive line take the extra strain that may be put on it from greater front wheel traction. Just a thought. Bob

• Like 2

Maxwell-8
1 minute ago, Handy Don said:

I don't think @Maxwell-8's question is related to speed, per se.

It's whether the front-rear differential is locked or limited slip since the relative speeds between front and rear will change with having a somewhat larger diameter front wheel.

:text-yeahthat:

6 minutes ago, JCM said:

What are your thoughts ?

I am wondering as well if it could raise a problem. If it wouldn't, I would definitly go for chains on those front tires. A lot of weight is on that axle and I would really see chains help those tires.

• Like 2

Snoopy11
3 minutes ago, oldlineman said:

Also can the front drive line take the extra strain that may be put on it from greater front wheel traction. Just a thought. Bob

Yes, my neighbor has a similar model... and puts chains on the front and back... :)

Don

• Like 1

JCM

@Handy Don  I do have a rear lock differential I can activate with my left foot holding it down as needed and release when done, hardly ever need it . As far as the front axle I am not sure but will consult my manual. All great questions gentlemen and would expect nothing less from the RS boys. :thumbs:

• Like 4

c-series don

@JCMPersonally I wouldn’t hesitate to put chains on the front tires, as long as you’re not abusive (which judging by pictures you post of all the nice stuff you have I’m sure you are not!) I have chains for my pickup, I used to plow some really hairy driveways. On the rare occasion I put them on, and with a load of sand in the sander I could go just about anywhere! 

• Excellent 1

JCM

Thank You Don. I may call my dealer next town over and run it by them. Watched a video of the same tractor with a 59'' front mounted blower and front only chains and it does seem to make a difference. With the ice we seem to get more than we have ever had it may help a bit. A heated Curtis Cab may be on the list down the road too. @c-series don

• Like 2