Mustang67ford

How much deck spindle grease

Mustang67ford

Working on a 42" RD.  Have about 30 pumps of gease in each spindle but no sign of it anywhere yet.  How much should they take? Do I just keep adding till it starts to push the old out someplace?

953 nut

In have never put that much grease in a spindle.   I generally do a couple pumps on each fitting at the end of the mowing season and have had no problem. The owner manual for your deck doesn't specify how much grease to use but if it were coming out of the seal it would have compromised the seal in my opinion.

• Like 1

peter lena

@Mustang67ford  you are filling up empty , bearing spindle sleeves with grease , another thing , if those bearings don't have the lower inside seal removed , the grease will never get there . to further add to your confusion , if you do not have and use a hi temp specific grease , the bearings will whine and generally be noisy .  look up a mower deck , part drawing , for insight . rebuilt a number of decks , lots of lubrication detailing , lucas , xtra hd , chassis grease , 560 drop point , anti sling , polyurea rated.  don,t mix with other greases , no noise or failures . just a little insight into your issue, pete

pacer

This is sorta one of those topics that there are varying methods to do these bearings ----and they are differing methods - the following is mine...

Some years ago I had a Yard Man lawn tractor and the deck had sealed bearings and they lasted and lasted.... So, after opening up a WH spindle and seeing that horrible glob of semi hardened grease that wasnt doing squat to lube the bearings --- well, I thought of the Yard Man and when I replaced the bearing in the WH deck I did not remove the covers and installed them in nice clean cavity. Been doing that for some 15-20 years and the bearings hold up quite well. 

There will be differing opinions, so chose the one that seems right for you....

• Excellent 1

peter lena

@pacer my experience with bearing grease was typically failure , unless the bearings were initially packed with a hi temp grease , its whining / failure time , with the Chinese make up of anything , its a wonder it works at all . when I think about , long ago , bearings lasted , probably built with the correct lube . thats why today , I  just regularly change out , what ever is in there , for a known hi temp / hi stress grease . interesting that those same bearings are very common to ceiling fans ! would not surprise me if a generic set up is covering everything , thus the failures , pete     

Mustang67ford

When adding grease, where would the old push out at?  Under the deck at the blades?

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Mustang67ford said:

When adding grease, where would the old push out at?  Under the deck at the blades?

That is where I see it on mine.  You don't want to use much pressure while greasing, it may dislodge the seal.  I have been adding about six pumps per year and do see some grease creeping out the bottom.  I use the red grease from Tractor Supply and have never had a failure.

• Like 1