BHunter

No spark

squonk

You can go to the scrap yard and get about 5000 of those relays with the 87a normally closed terminal. Just about every car used them. Can't believe an auto parts store didn't have one. 

Napa # AR 143 plus several other part #'s that are the same.

Edited by squonk

953 nut
2 hours ago, BHunter said:

The parts store didn’t have a 5 prong . 87a does not have a prong on this one.

The relay stops the engine when the 87A contact and the 30 contact are made up to ground out the magneto. The attached thread shows the function of the relay a bit more clearly. As @squonk Mike said, they are a dime a dozen and that is why I selected it. 

2 hours ago, BHunter said:

it starts randomly. The s/g turns the motor over when I put a jumper on the A terminal. I wonder if the magneto is starting to go. 

Has the battery been load tested by an auto parts store? I would begin by cleaning and tightening all electrical connections including grounds.

BHunter
3 hours ago, squonk said:

You can go to the scrap yard and get about 5000 of those relays with the 87a normally closed terminal. Just about every car used them. Can't believe an auto parts store didn't have one. 

Napa # AR 143 plus several other part #'s that are the same.

Thanks Mike. I’ll try Napa tomorrow. 

BHunter
42 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

The relay stops the engine when the 87A contact and the 30 contact are made up to ground out the magneto. The attached thread shows the function of the relay a bit more clearly. As @squonk Mike said, they are a dime a dozen and that is why I selected it. 

Has the battery been load tested by an auto parts store? I would begin by cleaning and tightening all electrical connections including grounds.

Thanks Richard. I’m going to go through the whole system. The battery hasn’t been load tested. 

• Like 1

BHunter
16 hours ago, BHunter said:

Thanks Richard. I’m going to go through the whole system. The battery hasn’t been load tested. 

Hi Richard. I bought a 5 prong relay and wired it up correctly. The engine starts but doesn’t turn off when I turn the key back. I ran the 87a wire to the condenser where the magneto wire is. Is that ok? That is where the PO had a kill switch wires to and it killed the engine. 

thanks,

Bob

632C9E00-8913-4E67-A87F-AC002E13D3F8.jpeg

953 nut
6 hours ago, BHunter said:

I ran the 87a wire to the condenser where the magneto wire is. Is that ok? That is where the PO had a kill switch wires to and it killed the engine. 

If the #30 terminal on the relay is connected to a good engine/frame ground it should work. With the relay removed from the socket do you have continuity between the 87a and 30 terminals, you should because the internal switch is normally closed.

BHunter
42 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

If the #30 terminal on the relay is connected to a good engine/frame ground it should work. With the relay removed from the socket do you have continuity between the 87a and 30 terminals, you should because the internal switch is normally closed.

I will check the ground connection. I twisted the #30 wire with the 86 wire and ran it to the negative post on battery. I didn’t check continuity yet.