Sign in to follow this  
hounddoghundzsa

Redline Trailer brake controller questions

hounddoghundzsa

I'm hoping someone can help me out with this before the show, or I might have to leave the horses at home. :thumbs2: I just installed a redline trailer brake controller (model TA-1000) on my 01 Ford Ranger. It had for wires: 1 trailer wire 2 brake light switch 3 hot lead 4 ground. I spent extra time soldering all connections and tested the hot wire going to the controller (which does have juice) but it isn't illuminating the "function light" or actuating the trailer brakes. Could the unit be faulty? Or, is there some other way to trouble shoot? The manual says that if the trailer is not hooked up the light will either glow red or not come at all. But with the trailer hooked up, the manual slide won't even do anything. By the way, I have a 3500# dexter axle if that makes a difference or not.

Thanks!

hounddoghundzsa

I just watched an install video on youtube for a podigy brake contoller and they're saying that the wire coming up from the plug needs to go to the positive post on the battery, If that's the case, than what hooks up to the blue wire (trailer brakes) on the contoller?

Nick

The blue wire runs from the controller all the way back to the trailer plug.

Did you wire the controller like the manual states? Should ran the hot lead through a circuit breaker to the positive side of battery, the ground works best run all the way to the battery negative, the brake light wire normally goes to the side of the brake switch that has power when the brake pedal is pressed.

http://redline-parts.com/WiringDiagram.pdf

Nick

This might be silly question but does your trailer have brakes? Most single axle trailers with 3,500 pound axles dont have brakes unless its an added option or a higher end trailer.

HorseFixer

Nick gave you a good diagram. mine has a Single Dexter Axel also and has brakes I have a Tekonsha Prodigy here is a 7 prong plug by bargman.

img017.jpg

img018.jpg

hounddoghundzsa

Yes, I wired it up exactly how the instructions said to. The only thing I did different was I put an inline fuse on the hot wire. As for the axle - I just put the axle on. I bought it new because I bent two of the cheap ones hauling firewood. I decided to get one with brakes because I haul it with a Ranger.

Is there a way to bypass the controller to see if there is a problem with the brakes?

hounddoghundzsa

Most single axle trailers with 3,500 pound axles dont have brakes unless its an added option or a higher end trailer.

Yes, it is a higher end trailer - quality built in my driveway in Brady Lake, Ohio! :thumbs2:

Nick

I use an old battery or jumper box to test the brakes on my trailer. Just ground it to the trailer frame and then touch the brake wire to the battery, you should hear the brake magnet engage. Did you check the fuse you put in the controllers power line, maybe it blew?

Built or rebuilt several trailers in the driveway myself. :thumbs2:

hounddoghundzsa

I'll give it a try tonite, thanks nick!

HorseFixer

I'll give it a try tonite, thanks nick!

So howd ya turn out? :thumbs2: Get the prob solved? :thumbs:

hounddoghundzsa

The brakes on the trailer work fine, the controller is junk. I took it to the show anyhow, and needless to say I had the front brakes smoking a couple of times. :thumbs2: I was going to go back to the place I bought it from today, but they're closed for the weekend.

Nick

Sorry to hear your controller didnt work out but sounds like you still had a good show. :ychain:

The one year I hauled stuff to the show my trailer brakes were smoking in Maryland. Found out the brakes were installed wrong so I mentioned it to the dealer next time I saw him, just got a blank look back at me. :thumbs: When I had picked up that trailer he sent a kid out to be sure the breakaway wire was connected. Got home and found the battery box was empty so lot of good the breakaway was. :thumbs2:

HorseFixer

Sorry to hear that Scott! :thumbs2: Try A Tekonsha Prodigy!

Duke

hounddoghundzsa

Wanted to stick with an American company. If the replacement gives me a hassle, I might have to resort to other measures :thumbs2: .......

HorseFixer

Wanted to stick with an American company. If the replacement gives me a hassle, I might have to resort to other measures :thumbs2: .......

TEKONSHA is a company based out of Tekonsha Mich. All There Brake Conrollers are made in the USA! :thumbs:

About the company

Tekonsha Engineering opened its doors in 1963 and at that time manufactured wooden steps for the Mobile Home Industry. In the mid 1960

hounddoghundzsa

TEKONSHA is a company based out of Tekonsha Mich. All There Brake Conrollers are made in the USA! :thumbs2:

The name sounded like a made in japen comany to me - I'll be sure to check them out.

Thanks

HorseFixer

The name sounded like a made in japen comany to me - I'll be sure to check them out.

Thanks

Scott ME TOO! I didn't know it until today when I researched it! Im sure they get some components from flim flong outfits but all and all from what I have heard and who I have talked to they are the best! The company is just east of me about 75 miles. Anyway I have two of them both Prodigy 3's and you cant beat them for all they do! I am very happy so far I have logged over 6k miles on em

Des Moines Iowa round trip 1200 miles

Marquette Mich round trip 1400 miles

2 trips to Big Show PA 2500 miles

A Bunch of Misc Short Trips 1000 miles

Total Miles On Horse Hauler With Tekonsha P-3 Controller 6100 miles Thats not a huge amount but I think thats a pretty good amount to try a product!! I have one on the 2001 chevy stabbin cabin RV and one on a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Good Luck!

Duke

Duff

Just a wild azz guess here, but I'll bet Tekonsha is derived from a Native American language somewhere in the past..... :thumbs:

Duff :thumbs2:

Nick

I hadnt given it any thought but good Guess Duff. It is an Indian name.

"The area, which had long been the home of the Potawatomi Native American tribe, was given it's name, to commerate a honored Potawatomi Indian Chief, Tekonquasha"