Jeff-C175

More C-125 / K301 questions with photos...

Snoopy11
7 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Points were already at 0.018 .  Set them to 16 didn't seem right, kinda 'sluggish'... but noise was the same.

Set them to 20, noise the same.  At 0.020, the timing mark was exactly 'on'.

Advanced to 0.022 ... no difference.

Set them back to 0.020

I'mma go out on 1 foot limb here...

If it was something detrimental (other than balance gears), you would have noticed a difference in adjusting timing.

My experience, in my opinion. :D

Don

• Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
2 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

I'mma go out on 1 foot limb here...

You got your harness and safety rope tied off?

Yeah... I wasn't really surprised that ignition timing didn't affect it.

So... back to square one.  If I need to use the plow this winter, I'm just gonna go ahead and do it and not worry about the engine.  Maybe in the Spring when the wx starts to warm up again I'll think about lifting the engine and taking out the balance gears.  And if it blows up while plowing... well, that's life in the big city.

So tomorrow maybe I'll have some time to get to the fuel pump.  I do have to finish installing those LED shop lights though so maybe I'll do that instead.

• Haha 1

Snoopy11
3 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

if it blows up while plowing

I don't think it will. ...I ain't no fortune teller... but from what I have seen and read, it is pretty normal... :rolleyes:

Don

• Like 1

Snoopy11
15 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

You got your harness and safety rope tied off?

And safety glasses... :laughing-rolling:

Don

squonk

Jeff, this ended up being bad balance gears and a broken piston skirt. Yours sounds worse: 

Gregor
2 minutes ago, squonk said:

Jeff, this ended up being bad balance gears and a broken piston skirt. Yours sounds worse: 

:scared-eek:

tractorbeast
20 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Do you have a lift assist spring for your blade?

I have no lift assist spring on the blade assembly or on the tractor that i can find. I looked it over pretty good today. Could I be missing a spring?.

I looked at Jacks Small Engine diagram of lift assemble- no assist spring.

Edited by tractorbeast

Snoopy11
3 hours ago, squonk said:

That would render metal flakes... chunks... in the oil... wouldn't you agree? :scratchead:

Don

Jeff-C175
7 hours ago, squonk said:

Yours sounds worse:

I dunno... it's really hard to hear stuff in a recording, but not sure it's 'worse', but 'different' for sure.

4 hours ago, Snoopy11 said:

wouldn't you agree?

Yes, I would!  I even dug 40 years of 'crud' out of the pipe cap on the drain tube out the bottom and there were a few very small pieces, but nothing that concerned me much.

• Excellent 1

Jeff-C175

image.png.967447df7181ef5422db2122d4627c64.png

7 hours ago, tractorbeast said:

I have no lift assist spring on the blade assembly or on the tractor that i can find. I looked it over pretty good today. Could I be missing a spring?.

I looked at Jacks Small Engine diagram of lift assemble- no assist spring.

I'm not sure I understand how this got into this thread?  Wasn't this a quote from another thread?

@tractorbeast rjg854 was mistaken... he thought you were talking about a SNOW BLOWER attachment, which does have an optional lift assist spring, not a PLOW BLADE, which does NOT have an optional spring.  The problem with adding a lift assist spring to the plow blade is that it would LIGHTEN the blade.  Too light and the blade can ride up on top of the snow.  I'm sure that you could add a spring but it can't be such that it lightens the blade too much.

But, we weren't discussing that here... I think you might have got your threads mixed up somehow?  

Your original thread is here:

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 1

Jeff-C175

I wonder if it's possible for the ACR mechanism to get noisy ?

image.png.bae7a56ebeca0d7b7519322c78b61ec0.png

• Like 1

Gregor

I have read that it is possible for valve seats to become lose and noisy. They don't come out, but rather move up and down slightly,  creating a chatter. There are just too many possibilities to speculate.

Handy Don
6 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I wonder if it's possible for the ACR mechanism to get noisy ?

image.png.bae7a56ebeca0d7b7519322c78b61ec0.png

If any part of the ACR were rattling, I'd suspect the exhaust "lifter" sleeve that rotates around the shaft under control of the flyweights. If that were loose on the shaft, it'd shift around as the camshaft turned as the valve stem alternately was pressed and released. The weights themselves, once the engine is turning beyond 100 RPMs, should be pretty firmly thrown outward against their stops. 

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 2

peter lena

@Jeff-C175 , that heat shrink area , is a perfect spot for electrical lug , to clean up secure and move on from ,  have cut off similar  ugly , and made it a solid mount , ground point . also hiding in plain sight , was the opportunity with your back of dash battery area totally exposed , did you tighten up the end / starting  pull point on your  PTO LEVER ?  its right there , under battery ground rail , mine typically took  3/8 " or more of washers and lube to eliminate the lever slop . makes the lever a smoother  stronger starting point , pto function start is better , just an idea, pete 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
6 hours ago, Gregor said:

too many possibilities to speculate.

Never!  How else would one discover stuff? ;)

• Haha 1

Gregor
13 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Never!  How else would one discover stuff? ;)

Ya  gotta turn that big piece into a whole bunch of little pieces. :banana-wrench:

20201212_105953.jpg.78b7754ced617b38577ff7f923531ab1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Snoopy11
2 hours ago, Gregor said:

Ya  gotta turn that big piece into a whole bunch of little pieces. :banana-wrench:

Been there, done that... :rolleyes:

Don

Snoopy11

Let me ask you this, Jeff, just for... fat folds and giggles. What type/weight oil are you using? :scratchead:

Don

Jeff-C175

Been there, done that..

Both intentional and non-intentional I'm sure!  :ychain:

• Haha 1

Jeff-C175

Let me ask you this, Jeff, just for... fat folds and giggles. What type/weight oil are you using? :scratchead:

Don

I use Rotella T1 straight 30W with 1 Oz of ZDDP per quart.  For. Like. Ever.

• Excellent 2

Snoopy11
Just now, Jeff-C175 said:

I use Rotella T1 straight 30W with 1 Oz of ZDDP per quart.  For. Like. Ever.

:music-rockout:

Don

• Haha 1

Jeff-C175

I do NOT RECOMMEND this kit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (emphasisss added ! )

On 11/30/2021 at 1:55 AM, Jeff-C175 said:

Looking around for the fuel pump kit I happened upon this :

image.png.ae8b21e2a937949e415c2293f399b86d.png

image.png.565e183373e1e63a07180aeb718a7478.png

I know the circled parts are for the fuel pump, but what about all those other doo-dads?  They look more like carburetor parts to me?

Is this a kit for the fuel pump AND the carburetor?

image.png.21a38840d9271449b1b7a609b9dfe4f7.png

The holes in the die-a-fraggem were TOO FAR OUT (man) !  It did NOT FIT !

ALSO... the " T " on the end of the shaft was TOO WIDE !  ( about 0.030" )

@Snoopy11  I was going to do a set of pics, but honestly, this is so simple that I didn't think it was warranted !

If one had the carb off for cleaning, it could even be done without unbolting the fuel pump from the engine, if the gasket wasn't weeping like mine was.

So now I gotta see what Amazon wants to do with this.  I bet they won't want it back and will just refund me.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11

I know that one particular guy (I won't name names...) would tell you that he bought and used this kit and it worked out just fine. :liar: :rolleyes:

A kit that comes with more than it says... is probably not worth your time. 

I think that you would be better off with this kit: https://isavetractors.com/fuel-pump-diaphragm-kit-for-kohler-k-m-series-metal-body-mechanical-fuel-pumps/?gclid=CjwKCAiAtdGNBhAmEiwAWxGcUnV607l6nb98WlTZpKY6oeBvZCO_zcoq_CxFCO3I7fCCeI0YMda6NxoCt7gQAvD_BwE

Don

• Confused 1

Jeff-C175
10 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

he bought and used this kit and it worked out just fine

So either I got a diaphragm for a different pump, or Kohler used two different pumps.

All four corner holes were too far apart by about a quarter inch or so.  If my Whitney punch were sharper I would try repunching it, looks like it could be done easily.  And grind a tad off each end of the tee.

But let's see what AhMazoney wants to do.

• Excellent 1

pfrederi
6 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

So either I got a diaphragm for a different pump, or Kohler used two different pumps.

All four corner holes were too far apart by about a quarter inch or so.  If my Whitney punch were sharper I would try repunching it, looks like it could be done easily.  And grind a tad off each end of the tee.

But let's see what AhMazoney wants to do.

Electric Facet posiflo stop wasting time and money

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1