EastTnDon

Wheel Horse Raider 12 with 6 speed transmission.

EastTnDon

First post on this site. Any info would greatly be appreciated. Looking for information on this Raider 12, picture has model and SS#. It has a Kohler engine, mowing deck and cultivator. It was my parent’s and I used growing up mowing yards and plowing tobacco. Around 1990, dad replaced motor with original short block and replaced mower deck. Mower has not been used in 20 years, but the 3 blades turn freely. Tractor has been sitting in shed and not ran in 5 years. Motor turned over with jumper cables but did not start. The Cultivator plow has had some metal added to place Concrete block for weight, that dad and I added. I don’t know if I should sale for scrap metal or for someone to restore. Any recommendations?  

663A2DDA-5C94-48E7-8077-2B4EA2EDE38C.jpeg

8131C532-6F92-487D-8E93-69F1F5422A3A.jpeg

98B7CD0F-9B13-4249-9C4A-D602EE0414EA.jpeg

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Model number says it is a 1968.  It does have the #5060 10 pinion Li9mited Slip transmission.  I'm thinking you are in a catch 22...that is...it is not worth much not running, and if you got it running the memories are going to make you want to clean it up.  And then it becomes a keeper.  Ask me how I know??  My Dad had 4 Wheel Horses that I got running after he passed...now I have 5.  :occasion-xmas:

Welcome to Red Square.  Don't scrap it, it is too nice to do that.  If you decide to sell it, list it in our Classifieds for Sale Section.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Maxwell-8
49 minutes ago, EastTnDon said:

First post on this site. Any info would greatly be appreciated. Looking for information on this Raider 12, picture has model and SS#. It has a Kohler engine, mowing deck and cultivator. It was my parent’s and I used growing up mowing yards and plowing tobacco. Around 1990, dad replaced motor with original short block and replaced mower deck. Mower has not been used in 20 years, but the 3 blades turn freely. Tractor has been sitting in shed and not ran in 5 years. Motor turned over with jumper cables but did not start. The Cultivator plow has had some metal added to place Concrete block for weight, that dad and I added. I don’t know if I should sale for scrap metal or for someone to restore. Any recommendations?  

Don't you dare scrapping it! First of you grew up on it, which makes it having emotional value. If I was you, I won't sell it but mowing your lawn with it. 

Secondly, people are searching for tractors, implements and parts. If you absolutly want to get rid off it. Sell it to a collector, but please don't scrap it!

Oh, and before I forget :text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Snoopy11

Oh heck... little bit of work... possibly new engine... that thing can be back in business!

Don

50 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Don't you dare scrapping it! First of you grew up on it, which makes it having emotional value. If I was you, I won't sell it but mowing your lawn with it. 

Secondly, people are searching for tractors, implements and parts. If you absolutly want to get rid off it. Sell it to a collector, but please don't scrap it!

:text-yeahthat:

Don

Maxwell-8
4 minutes ago, Snoopy11 said:

Oh heck... little bit of work... possibly new engine... that thing can be back in business!

Don

:text-yeahthat:

Don

Indeed, all my horses start out in comparable condition, never running, always rusty, even more then this raider 12, often with busted parts or without complete wiring.

w2.JPG.a48ec90ac42d5d750d5b5f12bc1d7f9c.JPGDSC_0987.JPG.e9f3dd73600633f422636ef104c128d7.JPGDSC_0989.JPG.64251582e652f857fdbf5a63c8ac96f7.JPGDSC_0992.JPG.1066246a22fa2ea22bb11b645d38cdd7.JPGDSC_0343.JPG.1abbbed6abd95e2ae7388af1d41dbad2.JPG

• Like 1

roadapples

:WRS:

Moonshine*Connoisseur

I repowered my '68 Raider 12 with a newer Magnum 12.  Threw a 48 side discharge deck on it and love it !   

Screenshot_20211024-174811_Photos.jpg

Screenshot_20211024-174835_Photos.jpg

Edited by Moonshine*Connoisseur

rjg854

I've got a Raider 12 I put a newer Kohler 12 in. It needed a lot of love, but now I've got a decent tractor that lives again.

PXL_20201213_171943666_MP.jpg.1d958f6c3f7650d8ca1658c82d4c79f3.jpg

• Like 3

EastTnDon

Thanks for all the feedback. I think I can get it running later this winter. If I do decide to sale I will Post something on this site. Thanks. Don

ohiofarmer

You might get it running today. It already turns over with jumper cables. 

First test. Remove the air cleaner and spray a bit of carb cleaner into the carburetor. If it pops off, you have already proven that it has compression and spark. If there is no spark, remove the points cover and pass some sandpaper or a points file to clean up the points. You can also check to see if there is voltage at the coil before filing the points.

If it does spark, do the first test again. Then disconnect the fuel line and use a slave tank with fresh fuel to the carburettor after checking  how much dirt is in the fuel bowl. Make sure to depress the clutch pedal when cranking the engine. My raider has a safety switch under the pedal.

Those 12 horsepower engines are almost the ideal between fuel usage and power. Plenty of power to run a 42 inch deck

Edited by ohiofarmer