squonk

857/small block K181 throttle repair

squonk

For @ebinmaine. Heard lots of complaints about a "hard to work throttle" "Idle or fast nothing in between" ect on the short frame small block tractors. I had the same issue on HHHOOOWWWAAARRRDDD!!!.  I've messed with it and messed with it some more. Couldn't come up with an answer. Cable was free. Throttle wheel was free. :confusion-confused:

I bought a pair genuine Toro 102118 throttle cables at the show. These cost close to $30! :shock: But I have had trouble with the crimps coming loose or the knobs falling off of the aftermarket ones. I came up with the idea if maybe I made the cable a little extra long, it would " Give" a little when pulled and maybe work smoother. 

Picture of the new cable compared to the one that was on the tractor. New cable was 45" OA length.

c1.jpg.24ee5658a920a3e7fb773957170cdf14.jpg

I installed the entire cable on and then played with the length of the conduit in the clamp to where the cable didn't stick out too far when the hood was closed.I wanted the conduit a bit longer than the old one. I cut 10 1/2" off. So the new cable will be approx. 4" longer than the old one.

c2.jpg.2df9f8d2577a34ddf9f53155217eb4cf.jpg

I installed the cable with 3/4" of conduit on the throttle side of the clamp. With  the knob pushed in the cable extends out of the conduit 1 3/4"

c3.jpg.e2e31924067a9215bc46cc302160da80.jpg

• Like 4

pfrederi

Having that arm on the throttle disc  must help.  Unfortunately mine do not have that arm the wire goes right into a hole in the disc....I am going to add an arm this winter...

• Like 4

ebinmaine

@squonk Thanks for posting this. 

I've been saving a link to this thread in my email since 10/21 and forgot to reply.  :)

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 10/8/2021 at 12:47 PM, squonk said:

For @ebinmaine. Heard lots of complaints about a "hard to work throttle" "Idle or fast nothing in between" ect on the short frame small block tractors. I had the same issue

Thanks again for making this thread. I used it again today. 

20240302_154630.jpg

• Like 2