Ed Kennell

2021 Deer Tails

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, Mike'sHorseBarn said:

I love me some fresh grilled heart steaks, I know it isn't for everyone, but I love it! I just can't eat a ton because it will cause a gout flare up (have I mentioned I'm getting old lol)

We videoed it just to see our own reactions.  Half the heart got shot out.  We watched a Meat Eater video to see how to prepare it.  Once we watched it, it was pretty self explanatory. Man, even at 150-ish yards, that 450 Bushmaster punches a hole through ‘em!

steelman

Just now reading and following everyone’s season. After passing on numerous small bucks I decided to take this one on November 10, five days ahead of Michigan gun season. I had missed a larger buck earlier with my compound so I used my crossbow for this one. Got another tag so will likely get back out there soon. Congrats to all who scored. Seems like fewer and fewer hunters out there every year. 

F454FCBF-B07A-4AA1-802A-8ADFF968D562.jpeg

E3CFDF5E-60F0-4E9F-AD5C-A129967AF8BE.jpeg

2796DE4E-C944-4389-8B9C-D93024F80688.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

Ed Kennell

I ate a lot of liver & onions and heart when I was younger..    Now Doc Sawbones says ,no more organ meats.        I grind the deer hearts in the hamburg now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

steelman

My wife is all over me too….cholesterol too high😄. I froze the heart and will probably grind it later with a batch of salomi or burger. That’s a nice heavy buck that you shot. I harvested one last year that field dressed 186 pounds and ended up with 92 pounds of deboned meat. 

• Like 3

WHX??
49 minutes ago, steelman said:

92 pounds of deboned meat. 

Wow! 

I shrink wrap & freeze the hearts and gave them to a gal who was a customer and loved them. Never thought to grind them up with the burger. 

Liver sausage is always a fav .... anybody ever thought to make that? 

Is that the arrow star in that heart Steelman? If so heck of shot!!!! 

• Thanks 1

WHX??
On 11/28/2021 at 8:27 PM, Ed Kennell said:

In PeeAaa a legal antlered deer in my area must have at least 3 legal points on one antler.    Some areas must have 4 on a side and I think this will soon be statewide.

Wow that would never fly around here! What's the theory behind that reg? 

On 11/28/2021 at 8:27 PM, Ed Kennell said:

have the butcher cure one hind quater for chipped beef(deer).

Now that is something I do myself. Very easy and I can control the saltiness of it. 

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-cure-and-brine-mix-maple?ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop|CAB|TopPerformers|Camping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtJeNBhCVARIsANJUJ2FNYMwexVoFfmCLaJRQhjuK9PnxDS-fUJXSEE_vO5izAZmAkAJ--IcaAt4CEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Pullstart
22 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Liver sausage is always a fav .... anybody ever thought to make that? 

I have been snacking on some brunsweiger (spelling?) which is pig liver mainly.  What’s the difference?  :handgestures-thumbupright:

WHX??

Cindy and I both luv brunschweiger. Don't see why it couldn't be made out of deer livers? :confusion-shrug: Any pro sausage makers out there? 

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
34 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Wow that would never fly around here! What's the theory behind that reg? 

Now that is something I do myself. Very easy and I can control the saltiness of it. 

How long and at what temp do you soak the ham?  Do you inject brine?   How long to smoke and dry the cured ham?    Is it fully cured reradt to chip and eat in gravey?

Here's the skinny on the PeeAaa antler restrictions implemented  nearly 20 years ago.

http://nyswmc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/antler-restriction-in-pennsylvania.pdf#:~:text=In 2002%2C the Pennsylvania Game Commission changed the,are the facts about Pennsylvania’s antler point restrictions.

Ed Kennell

Here are a couple taken on Sat. in northern PeeAaa.  Dropped them at the butcher shop that I use.

104_0096.JPG.00f7ee35b972665c636e17ddb862edbf.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

I use the football hams off the hind 1/4 Ed but only if I am venison heavy cause they make such nice roasts & steaks. 

You want to brine them in the cure for at least 24 hrs but no more than 48 in the fridge. I just use a plastic bowl, they say don't use stainless it can impart a flavor, with a dinner plate set on top with an appropriate weight to keep the meat summerged.  Start out by using the recommended amout on the cure. Sometimes the recommended amount per water comes out too salty so cut back abit and brine longer. It's all in the brand of cure so experiment. Cure is nothing more than sodium nitrate with a few flavorings. 

After that slow smoke at 165 or so for a couple hours ... about 4 depending on the attitude of the smoker  ... but I stick a thermometer in the biggest chunk until 155 or so. Pull the smaller chunks as needed.

You can do this in the oven ala oven jerky too but Mrs K might get taken aback a bit if you put a little of your favorite wood flavor in her oven.  A bottle of liquid smoke, hickory creosote is what I call it, can help too. I love a heavy smoke flavor but unfortunately Mrs WHX does not. 

After some fridge or even freezer time so it is abit easier to slice then take it to the slicer. Thin or thick your choice. I like it thin for in a milk sauce then on toast points. Gonna tell ya right here and now tho too makes for some fabulous ruebens. 

You get to your butcher Ed ask him about using the livers. I remember in the old camps the elders used to slice them around the edge then squeeze the blood out and use them for something? I don't remember if they just fried them up with onions. 

Hosen has got me thinkin how hearts would come brined out like this? 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

steelman
5 hours ago, WHX?? said:

that the arrow star in that heart Steelman?

Yea that is my Thunderhead broadhead path… even a blind squirrel gets an acorn now and then.

• Haha 2

Ed Kennell
12 hours ago, WHX?? said:

After that slow smoke at 165 or so for a couple hours

I did  cure a couple hinds using the method you detailed, but I could never get the center totally dried.   May be I needed to use smaller chunks instead of the whole hind.

I had a LP smoker that I used to slow smoke  (12-14 hours) turkeys.    They turnd out great ( looked and tasted like ham) till one night the flame blew out and the bird spoiled.   I yard saled the smoker.

The butcher that cures mine now cures the entire hind 12-14 lbs. for $15.

I don't know the details of his process, but it takes 4 weeks.   He also slices it paper thin and vacumm packs it for $5.

He also makes my smoked sweet bologna.    He uses the cloth casing that allows the smoke to penetrate the meat and smokes it for 4-5 days.

The 3 lb 2" dia sticks that we chunk for snacks cost $4.     He also makes a 5" dia. 10 lb roll for $10 that he then slices for sandwiches.

I do like to butcher my own deer, but will probably let my Amish butcher make my smoked meats.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

Guessing those are fixed broadheads then Steelman? I been using 125 grain Rage expendables on my X bow and if I ever managed an ace shot like yours the heart would have been pre sliced! I prefer them as they do fly like 125 grain target points when practicing. 

I used to use Muzzy's as they came with replaceable blades that were not sharpened for practice. and supposed to fly like the hunting blades. 

Walked into a sporting goods store before the season and like ammo the selection of bolts and broadheads was next to nil. :( Wanted to pick up bolts with lighted nocks and one package of three on the shelf for over 100 bucks.... :scared-eek:

I wouldn't get out of bed for what your guy charges then Ed. The baloney sounds very good! I have never heard of the cloth casing. Does he add beef or pork? 

• Like 2

WHX??
31 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

till one night the flame blew out and the bird spoiled.   

Lol just read that ...that's why yer supposed to haul your rear out of the sack every hour and check it! 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Pullstart

Hey.  What do you burger makin’ fellers do about silver skin?  I’m going crazy with a filet knife cutting it all out.  The new meat grinder from Dunham’s doesn’t seem to mind it much… but what about meat quality and such?

1EFE0432-0F25-4F78-B3F6-D7B0D1D1D57D.jpeg

WHX??

Yah it's always the chore but don't worry if you don't get it all it grinds, fries up and comes out the other end fine. A thin filet knife like a Rapala works best.  Steaks and roasts I try to get it all off. I don't think it affects taste at all.  My grinder is a 1 hp bad boy from Cabelas and the silver skin has a way of wrapping itself between the blade and the auger. I still like Ed's old skool grinder tho. 

Cindy bought it for me xmas one year. Love that girl! 

Older version of this one. 

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-commercial-grade-1hp-carnivore-meat-grinder

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

I feel like I’m getting carried away cleaning the meat.  I haven’t had to clean out the auger and blade, so I guess I’m doing it right.  That doesn’t mean it’s the most fun in the world!  Maybe I need a more ergonomic work station.

Pullstart
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

. A thin filet knife like a Rapala works best. 

I did figure out that trick!  The Old Timers work great cutting meat from the bone, skinning it out, cutting hide, etc.  My chopper and Rapala have been my best friends trimming!

Then of course, keeping a good sharp edge is key too!  

2599EBE3-8962-41DB-9929-A1D4AB031EEF.jpeg

Pullstart

So far, 16 lbs of burger and a pair of backstraps are sealed in the freezer, a gallon zip-lock of hind quarters destined for jerky cuts and smoker drying, and all this deboned in the shop fridge.

With about 1/8th a cow, 1/2 a pig, still venison from last year too, I think we’re good on meat.  The girls though, they have a goal of 3 more deer this year for hot sticks, bologna and jerky.  (thanks Uncle Jim for their newfound love for that stuff!). :handgestures-thumbupright:

999FEE76-E944-40A9-9968-07DB6CC2811B.jpeg

7AEC80E4-47E1-4A4F-960F-5A09CE22D44E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

What's worse Kev it's heart healthy  for my girls! Yeah Emeril is right pork fat rules but still. You don't have a shrink wrapper? Might want to be your next investment then if not. They keep everthing in the freezer much better. Lemme know if shopping for one I have lots of experience with most ones. 

Got the biggest doe I have ever seen in my life grazing out back and going to sit for her this weekend. Cindy given me a hard time about taking her tho... her youngins, who she keeps chasing away, are with her but my attitude is God put her here to feed us. I got six doe tags to fill but only need one big or two small more. Still a knarley buck around too if I can get the drop on him. He obviously ain't as stupid as he looks tho. Just threw all my trail cams in the dumpster. :angry-banghead: Spent a small fortune on batteries and can't get any of them to work.

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2

Ed Kennell

Pullstart

@WHX?? we have a game saver vacuum packer.  These trays and bowl are meat waiting to be finished :banana-linedance:

Ed Kennell
On 12/2/2021 at 12:37 PM, Pullstart said:

Hey.  What do you burger makin’ fellers do about silver skin?  I’m going crazy with a filet knife cutting it all out.  The new meat grinder from Dunham’s doesn’t seem to mind it much… but what about meat quality and such?

1EFE0432-0F25-4F78-B3F6-D7B0D1D1D57D.jpeg

If the grinder handles it OK, I don't think the burger quality will be affected.    Like Jim, I trim all fat and silver skin from the steaks and back straps.   It is really easy similiar to fileting the skin off a fish filet.   When I remove the meat (debone) while the deer is hanging, I seperate the muscles at thier natural joints and I feel this makes it easier when I the trimming later.

Ed Kennell

After taking that 21" wide 10 point in 2018, I was not going to mount another buck.

But this years was kind of unique, and he was my number 50 whitetail buck, so another one goes on the wall.

Got some prelim. work  started on the form  today.

104_0112.JPG.3ebba97634600274fec4ebc138418424.JPG104_0111.JPG.919a244012830e4ae8772fe09a03c774.JPG104_0113.JPG.ebe30f057c612f739e9df3a40da4f505.JPG 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2