Ed Kennell

2021 Deer Tails

Ed Kennell

I hope he doesn't get hit by a car.    It wouldn't be the first time a boy died from love sickness.

• Haha 4

Pullstart

Congrats Ed!  Yesterday, I found the bait pile :ROTF:

To be clear, that’s a joke.  It was my snack.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Today, I decided to sleep in an hour and work in the shop on Momma’s truck.  Well, I woke up and she thanked me for sleeping in with her.  I had set my alarm for “weekdays only”.  Garsh.

9FEC9AEE-9300-4CEC-A6B4-8736602DE1BD.jpeg

Ed Kennell

We finished processing the venison today.  All deboned and with every spec of fat and ligament removed it yielded 88 lbs of meat.

He made some large loins (back straps).

104_0071.JPG.18ca620912c5bdc58a73ec4ca0622c53.JPG

I added 1 lb of bacon to each 5 lb of burger.     It grinds best if it is frozen and sliced across the strips.

104_0072.JPG.e548f7d688a6aa5e40ff302359cc3e3b.JPG104_0074.JPG.689fe705eb0920ee1e2794a74cb391e1.JPG104_0073.JPG.6f881bf606e10465558bc9a6d8fc599b.JPG

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Waiting until around 7 or so to go check for blood… :handgestures-fingerscrossed:  

Pullstart

This was taken about 30 miles NE of here, near @Bentoolong (Smyrna).  It’s my cousin’s neighbors little girl with her very own 12 point.  What a monster!

548B51FA-586C-4906-9BF9-9A51AB365D44.jpeg.743cd716fd6d305c06d49cc36d7234dd.jpeg

Here’s my little guy.  Just a spike, but tender eatin’!  150 yard neck shot.  He was bedded and never moved.  For precaution, we waited an hour after dinner to go look for him.  @WHX?? can’t eat the antlers, right?

B399D2F1-B347-432F-9367-5F4EA09A49D4.jpeg.a0683c87e46476fc3434b6ad455eb5c5.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Congrats Kevin.   Way to stay after em.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

First day of PeeAaa rifle season.     31F and 20MPH NW winds.

I don't have any tags left, but I sat in my tree for 2 hours with the camera.     Then walked out a couple woods for some friends.   Not a deer and I only heard 8-9 shots all AM.

Now watching the Ohio / Michigan Brawl Game.

• Like 2

adsm08
4 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

First day of PeeAaa rifle season.     31F and 20MPH NW winds.

I don't have any tags left, but I sat in my tree for 2 hours with the camera.     Then walked out a couple woods for some friends.   Not a deer and I only heard 8-9 shots all AM.

Now watching the Ohio / Michigan Brawl Game.

I went deer hunting today for the first time in 20 years. I was in one of my dad's stands in a small hollow on land owned by a family friend. It's not a good spot for one to just walk by, but a lot of them go in there when hunter activity gets too much on the hills around. Got there at a little after 6AM, went up the stand, about 5 minutes later I went back down to sit on the ground until day light, because the stand put me above the tops of the hollow and in the wind.

Heard a few shots around 7, went back up into the tree. Around 7:15 I remembered why it's been 20 years since I went deer hunting, and went home.

Edited by adsm08
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

WHX??

Nice Ed congrats on the harvest.... love that grinder BTW. 

88 lbs of clean meat is really good. Best we can do is about 40 lbs off a 110 lb dressed 1 1/2 year old. Pretty much managed for quantity rather than size around here tho. 

To my story now ... spent the whole week at spike camp and manged to put the drop on a little spiker on the 20th about 10 am which was opening day. Alot like Hosen's.  I looked at him for a long time thinking I should pass on him but then remembered how tasty was that one was when Kev came to visit.

He was abit knarley .... had one one semi palmated antler that was busted off and a just legal spike on the other side. Now I don't name my tractors but i do my deer and quickly named him spoonbill. Here for a legal buck it must have one antler at lease 3" long on either side. He can even be a unicorn as long as he meets those requirements. 

Guessing Ed doesn't have that problem! Yep Kev gotta boil them horns.... or tag ...an awful long time! 

Dropped the hammer on him and the 7mm-08 was spot on with a clean shot through the upper neck with not a spec of meat blood shot so may get 45-50 lbs of meat off of him. About 50 yards. 

Cindy on the other hand was not so lucky. Put her on the best stand in the woods and she never got a shot at anything. She did see a  spike with at least 12" spikes that would have put a Texas longhorn to shame but never got a shot.

I went back out in the woods with the X bow hoping to fill that tag and hoping to hear the bark of her .308 but no dice.

We are allowed now to bow hunt, with the proper tag  throughout the gun season as long as one wears blaze orange. 

• Like 3

Darb1964

I took this buck opening day of the Connecticut firearms season. It has been two years for me sense I have taken a deer.  Its  hard for me to get out thease days, Thanks to a good friend and generous land owner, I was able to get it done. My old reliable model 99 300 savage did the job.

The shotgun deer and bear season opens Monday in my home state of Massachusetts. I'm looking forward to it and now with the pressure off can relax some and not push myself to hard.

IMG_20211127_205711.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Rp.wh

Been chasing bucks all season where I live I can shoot doe or buck sat open day Sunday thanksgiving Friday morning Saturday morning walked my property twice yesterday haven’t seen one deer to shoot that Hurd some very close shots last Sunday I missed a monster buck by 30 mins Friday morning but wasn’t in shooting hrs I will keep at it with late season bow here is some bucks I been chasing meat is meat at this point 

2A67BD34-53C0-4AD4-B53F-639125BC00A5.jpeg

8FA7D6D3-E404-45DF-806B-1CD6442C60C1.jpeg

064309C9-CEE1-497E-9B42-06CCBE408505.jpeg

DF852C9B-1C50-45E5-8ACF-84D7CE968671.jpeg

Edited by Rp.wh
  • Like 4

Darb1964
2 minutes ago, Rp.wh said:

Been chasing bucks all season where I live I can shoot doe or buck sat open day Sunday thanksgiving Friday morning Saturday morning walked my property twice yesterday haven’t seen one deer to shoot that Hurd some very close shots last Sunday I missed a monster buck by 30 mins Friday morning but wasn’t in shooting hrs I will keep at it with late season bow here is some bucks I been chasing meat is meat at this point 

2A67BD34-53C0-4AD4-B53F-639125BC00A5.jpeg

8FA7D6D3-E404-45DF-806B-1CD6442C60C1.jpeg

064309C9-CEE1-497E-9B42-06CCBE408505.jpeg

DF852C9B-1C50-45E5-8ACF-84D7CE968671.jpeg

I'm a meat hunter, big bucks and antlers are all ways nice but anything I can legally tag is in danger if I'm in need of venison.

Small ones are better eating and easier to get out.

• Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
20 minutes ago, Darb1964 said:

easier to get out.

I hear that.     I only had to drag this one 20 yds. to the tractor, but it was a challenge for this 170 lb 78 yo.     I believe he weighed well over 200lb as I never field dress deer. I prefer to skin, dress, and debone while hanging. It usually takes me 3 hours time from kill to deboned and in the fridge.

104_0066.JPG.4c486a63f4ed02ccb5817511c8bed24a.JPG

• Excellent 2

Ed Kennell

??

Edited by Ed Kennell
double post

Darb1964
8 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

I hear that.     I only had to drag this one 20 yds. to the tractor, but it was a challenge for this 170 lb 78 yo.     I believe he weighed well over 200lb as I never field dress deer. I prefer to skin, dress, and debone while hanging. It usually takes me 3 hours time from kill to deboned and in the fridge.

104_0066.JPG.4c486a63f4ed02ccb5817511c8bed24a.JPG

Good job, I bone them out also. Depends on where I get them as far as field dressing. Out of state or not on my land I do it where they die. On my land I drag them out with my Wheeler and hang them and then dress them out. The one I just got my friend talked me into ageing it. Just boned it today, looks good and the meat is soft, didn't try it yet. Trying to finish up the turkey.

• Excellent 2

WHX??
10 hours ago, Darb1964 said:

I'm a meat hunter, big bucks and antlers are all ways nice but anything I can legally tag is in danger if I'm in need of venison.

No offence Ed but here too. Not that I wouldn't turn my nose up at that thirthy point buck.... thats MI UP talk for a big buck! :)

Come at me again here tho Ed ...You don't gut them out in the field? We always do and most often bring them out and gut them out within viewing distance from the cabin so we can watch the eagles and other wild life. I gutted the one I harvested out in the woods  but within 3 hours all was gone  except for the rumen. Even the scrotum was gone, which we always toss over the left shoulder .....for good luck you understand, .....  Trail cam I had on the gut pile did not work :angry-banghead: but suspect coyotes or possibly wolves. What little snow we had melted so I couldn't ID tracks.  We'll have a discussion yet on decent reliable trail cams yet. 

You do all that inside of three hours Ed you is my hero. I confess I take mine down the road to a guy that cleans him up and shrink wraps all the delish cuts. Rest goes to burger or saugage making which I may or may not do myself depending on work at the salt mine. Did I mention I need to retire? :D

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

Not offended here Jim. It doesn't always work, but  If I take a deer and know I can have it home and hanging within a couple hours, I feel I can keep them cleaner by hanging and skinning first and it is much easier to skin a warm animal than a frozen one. If the weather is cool, below 40F, after skinning and dressing, I sometimes let them hang for a day before deboning.  I do like to butcher, cut and shrink wrap all my deer. I debone the meat without cutting thru any major bones or the spinal chord. True or not, these areas are said to contain the CWD cells.

The lesser cuts I take to a local butcher and have it maade into bologhna.   I also usually have the butcher cure one hind quater for chipped beef(deer).

When I butcher, I do it over a plastic half barrel and drop everything, hide, innards, head, bones,blood, fat,  and scraps in the barrel.  Then return it to an area where the scavangers,vultures, eagles, crows, foxes, coyotes, can feast.   Like you say, everything but the hair is usually gone in a day or two.  

In PeeAaa a legal antlered deer in my area must have at least 3 legal points on one antler.    Some areas must have 4 on a side and I think this will soon be statewide. 

I am by no means a trophy hunter.  I took two doe before I saw this buck and he was the first and only legal buck I had seen during the 7 week archery season. 

Oh, no tags left, but I will don the orange and take the Kodak on a hunt tomorrow AM.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Pullstart

We’ve got about 5” of snow in the field, as of last night.  Last day of our “first gun season”.  On week, then it’s muzzleloader season, but they allow any legal gun to be used… AKA second gun season.  :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

• Confused 1

Ed Kennell
44 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

We’ve got about 5” of snow in the field, as of last night.  Last day of our “first gun season”.  On week, then it’s muzzleloader season, but they allow any legal gun to be used… AKA second gun season.  :handgestures-fingerscrossed:

So, what is different about the gun season and muzzle season?    A different  tag?

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

So, what is different about the gun season and muzzle season?    A different  tag?

nothing now.  I think it’s driven by insurance companies wanting less population, but I have no leg to stand on there.  We can use muzzleloaders during shotgun/rifle (depending on zone) and shotgun/rifle during muzzleloader.  :confusion-confused:

• Confused 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, Ed Kennell said:

Here no not a different tag. You can use a front stuffer during the traditional nine day gun season but immediately following the nine day season is a nine day smoke pole season for the black powder guys. Muzzleloaders only and you must use your unfilled regular gun season tag. Kinda extends the regular gun season. 

Sounds like WI and MI regs. are very close Kev. 

Couple of years ago WI hired a deer expert from TX, for bucue $$$, to come up here and study our whitetail herd and make recommendations on management. On the top of his report to the powers that be was our regulations are way too complicated!

• Like 2

Pullstart

Not sure if this should be in recipes or deer tails.  Rylee and I plan to try us some fresh heart for brunch.

A97C1D36-345C-4CFF-82C3-FB2EA9BD9FC9.jpeg

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

96DEE2BE-D5DD-4E09-B3BB-B98613C0D686.jpeg

• Excellent 2

Mike'sHorseBarn
1 hour ago, Pullstart said:

Not sure if this should be in recipes or deer tails.  Rylee and I plan to try us some fresh heart for brunch.

I love me some fresh grilled heart steaks, I know it isn't for everyone, but I love it! I just can't eat a ton because it will cause a gout flare up (have I mentioned I'm getting old lol)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1