Horse Newbie

1984 Work Horse GT-1600 REFRESH

Snoopy11
7 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

B-100 sitting forlornly in the corner of the garage waiting for TLC

That would be the one that I would be most interested in. Not sure how much you would want for it... or if you could bring it down... but I'm certainly interested... (you know what I do to tractors... LOL)  :D

Shoot me an email if you would like to talk about it! :greetings-waveyellow:

Don

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

If you end up keeping the 416-H, try a primer bulb on the fuel line for hard start conditions.

• Like 1

Lee1977
7 hours ago, davem1111 said:

This looks awesome!   I've been paging through this thread and haven't looked at it all yet.  I have a GT-1848 that needs a bunch of work and is currently all red, and I've been trying to decide if I want to re-paint it to the original gray or close to it.  Seeing this, I think I'm convinced.  Black and gray, new decals.

I have a pair of Carlisle 12.50 ags on mine so it looks a lot like this already, except for the "bad" paint job on mine.   My target when finished is nowhere as nice as this, but hopefully much better than it is now. 

I'm working on converting to a stack so I can repair the "cutout" in the hood and repaint it.

[edit to add:].  Forgot to mention that this tractor had be re-powered with a Honda GX610 twin by a PO. Kinda obvious to most though...

image.png.461a95bf083e14435325de4e081cce6e.png

That model was never Gray, came from the factory that way. It's yours and If you want it Gray go for it. At least you won't have Easter Egg Colors like EB.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Lee1977 said:

. At least you won't have Easter Egg Colors like EB.

I don't celebrate easter. I don't have egg colors. 

I have derivatives of RED.  

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

Bill D
8 hours ago, davem1111 said:

Glad you asked - I think it's an interesting story.

I bought that tractor mainly for the deck. It had a decent 48" SD, and after pricing out spindles, etc. for another 48" SD I had that needed a lot of work, I was a bit shocked at the prices. So when I saw this 416-H for around $400, I grabbed it.  I haven't done much with the tractor since then, since it's only 1 of 5 in the herd right now.

That said, here's what I know so far:   At least 3 of the 4 tires won't hold air for very long, and one of the rears will go flat in minutes. The hydro linkage needs adjustments, at least, and may need some parts replaced. (This has the forward/reverse handle on the steering column, which I'm not a fan of either).  The engine is hard to get started, usually needs some ether.  Runs "okay" after that, but I haven't run it much. Probably needs the carb torn down and cleaned/rebuilt.  Needs a new battery and I haven't looked at the wiring much yet, but what I've seen has been a bit scary at best. 

So, with the work I'm doing on my GT-1848 and the B-100 sitting forlornly in the corner of the garage waiting for TLC, investing anything in this 416-H is WAY down the priority list. The money from anything I sell off that one would be handy to finance the other parts, paint, etc. that I need.

Come to think of it, I have a 416-8 that I cleaned up and repainted to sell, but the 8-speed tends to pop out of gear in second.  I might consider doing a switch-over and putting all the nicely painted parts on the 416-H and selling that in the spring. Will need to decide which engine is in better shape.

I wish you lived closer.  I'd be tempted to take it off your hands.

• Haha 1

davem1111
16 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

That model was never Gray, came from the factory that way. It's yours and If you want it Gray go for it. At least you won't have Easter Egg Colors like EB.

Hmmmm.... so far I don't think I've seen obvious signs of a gray original coat being overpainted with red, but it has had some repainting done on it.  If these or some of these came red from the factory, then this is a bit misleading:

https://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/4/9/492-wheel-horse-gt-1848.html

I'm thinking that with all this red in the garage, it might be a refreshing change to have the gray with red decals.  I do think the red deck looks a bit odd on the gray tractor though, so I might go as far as painting the deck gray too.  Maybe with red zebra stripes - what the heck.

12 hours ago, Bill D said:

I wish you lived closer.  I'd be tempted to take it off your hands.

Yeah, the physical distance is a bit of a problem with these tractors and large heavy parts.  I usually visit central NJ a few times a year, but don't have a handy way to haul a tractor on those trips at present.  At some point I'll get a new or decent used truck and that situation may change for the better.  Since there are a lot of members in the northeast, I'll post in the classifieds when I have the means to bring some stuff back east.

• Like 1

Brockport Bill

i would have to check the thesaurus if there is a better word than spectacular.... but i doubt it !!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie

Thank you sir…

not perfect, but I am pleased with it.

• Like 3

kpinnc
44 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

not perfect, but I am pleased with it.

As nice a restore as I've seen. Runs and drives like a new one! :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:bow-blue:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Excellent work Sir!! 

• Thanks 1

Moparfanforever

Great job !!!

:thumbs::thumbs:

• Thanks 1

c-series don

@Horse NewbieHopefully one of these years at the big show we can get a picture of all three together. This would represent all of the GT Series Work Horse models. 

IMG_2658.jpeg

IMG_2660.jpeg

Edited by c-series don
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

I just realized I did not post many pics of the 1984 Work Horse GT-1600 Refresh after I finished it.

:text-coolphotos:                                         Well done sir!

:hide:                        Don't you just hate it when in the midst of a photo session it starts raining soap suds.             :ychain:

IMG_2308.jpeg

• Haha 4

c-series don

I know the feeling, it’s happened to me! 

IMG_7640.jpeg

• Haha 5

Horse Newbie

@c-series don ,

That sounds like a great idea and a good opportunity. I would be honored.

I told Libby that we need to try to make it in 2024… the Good Lord willing…

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie

@c-series don ,

That sounds like a great idea and a good opportunity.

I told Libby we need to try to make it in 2024… the Good Lord willing…

(Don’t know how this happened…

technology…)

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

sjoemie himself

Excellent result! Wheel Horse in this color is just something special. The grey with red and white color scheme plus your own details you've added go very well together.

Greetings from the Netherlands, Mark 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Horse Newbie
3 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

Excellent result! Wheel Horse in this color is just something special. The grey with red and white color scheme plus your own details you've added go very well together.

Greetings from the Netherlands, Mark 

Thank you very much for the kind words Mark.

She’s not perfect, but close enough for me.

@kpinnc gave me a rear seat pan/ fender that come of a 520H. It was a little less rusty that the original.

From across the pond,  Tim (Horse Newbie)

• Like 4